It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• 6 weeks post PTTD surgery and depressed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #1
    Ocean12
    (female)

Ocean12 HB User
    6 weeks post PTTD surgery and depressed

I had posterior tibial tendon surgery at the end of April. I got the cast off on Wednesday and now I'm in a boot. Still non weight bearing for another 4 weeks. I am housebound for the most part. Is it normal to feel depressed at this stage? I feel like I have so much recovery in front of me and that I'll never be walking normally again. I'm anxious to get my life back, and I'm tired and sore.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: Ocean12
    left foot (06-09-2014),LouiseKu (06-12-2014),Newm (06-08-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
    Newm
    (male)

Newm HB UserNewm HB User
    Re: 6 weeks post PTTD surgery and depressed

I know the full recovery will be at least 12 months. Don't say that disappointed words to yourself. You can come back to normal, trust yourself. It is just time. Best wishes !

Old 06-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #3
    sinclair34
    (female)

sinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB User

The last few weeks of NWB are tough. There are still challenges ahead, but once you are PWB at least there is progress and you feel like you are doing something to move towards your recovery. The waiting is hard! Hang in there.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #4
    rah468
    (female)

rah468 HB User

Hey Ocean,

I totally feel your pain and depression. I had my surgeries just over 7 weeks ago. I was supposed to be in a cast for 6 weeks NWB, but after the 2nd check for a blood clot the dr put me in the boot a week early but still NWB. At my 6-week check up he told me I can go weight bearing as tolerated for 4 weeks and then begin transitioning back into a regular shoe. Even though I'm kind of walking (with crutches) it's still hard to deal with mentally and physically. I used to be able to shower & dress and be ready to go in 15 minutes. Today it took me 37 minutes and I was exhausted afterwards. Not only that - but my foot was majorly swollen and unhappy. I'll be sleeping in the boot tonight (I'm allowed to take it off for sleeping and showering). I can't carry anything unless it's in my back pack thanks to the crutches. And my list goes on. I keep reminding myself that the surgeries had to be done. I couldn't keep going with the pain and swelling on a daily basis. It's a tough and rough road we're traveling and I guess we just need to remind ourselves that we will feel better sooner or later. Although sooner sure would be better! Lol. One thing that helped me immensely the first 6 weeks was using a knee scooter. I was able to continue teaching, could grocery shop, get out and about. I was sad to give it up when I went into the boot, but I know that becoming weight bearing again is part of the process. I guess the only thing I can say is hang in there - it will get better!

Old 06-09-2014, 01:15 AM   #5
    TamiNicole
    (female)

TamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB User

I definitely feel your pain! Even though I had a knee scooter, I was still pretty much confined to the house since we were living in the Middle East at the time and pretty much NOTHING was handicap-accessible. Couple that with my husband travelling almost 50-75% of the time, I was soooo depressed and lonely! Luckily, it does get better and the results are definitely worth it. Maybe if you're feeling really down you can talk to your GP about getting on an SSRI or anti-anxiety medication for a little while? There's nothing wrong with a little chemical help when you need it!

12/12/13, Left foot: Gastroc recession, calcaneal osteotomy, FDL transfer

Old 06-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
    left foot
    Veteran
    (female)

left foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB User

It does get long, especially those last 4 weeks. There were a lot of times when the comment "this needs to end soon" came from my mouth. I was getting so sore, even using the knee walker. But the good thing is it will end, and you'll be able to look back and say wow, it's over, I did it. Keep counting down the weeks and pretty soon the fun of PWB will begin and time will go faster. I feel your "pain".

Old 06-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #7
    rah468
    (female)

rah468 HB User

Ocean - are you working during your recovery? Do you have any family or friends that could help you get out a couple of days a week? I know it's hard in the beginning - especially with the cast. It seems to be easier to do things with the boot. Does yours have an air pump? Mine does and I feel like that really helps with the swelling as it's adjustable. Hang in there 0 there are brighter days ahead!

Old 06-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
    rah468
    (female)

rah468 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by left foot View Post
    It does get long, especially those last 4 weeks. There were a lot of times when the comment "this needs to end soon" came from my mouth. I was getting so sore, even using the knee walker. But the good thing is it will end, and you'll be able to look back and say wow, it's over, I did it. Keep counting down the weeks and pretty soon the fun of PWB will begin and time will go faster. I feel your "pain".
    Left Foot - how long did it take you to wean off of crutches once you were able to start walking on your foot in a boot? I've been on them just over a week. Today I was able to use 1 when I was in a couple of stores. My surgeon warned me "some days you'll feel fine walking on your foot and then you'll pay for it the next day, so here's some more pain meds". I have a feeling tomorrow will be one of those days. lol. I can start transitioning to a regular shoe June 27th and was supposed to start PT then too, but I'm gone on vacation until the end of July and my insurance won't let me to do it where I am. Dr. wasn't really happy about that so he sent me to PT where is office is right after my checkup with him and they gave me exercises to do twice a day to hopefully hold me over until I get back. Was trasitioning into a regular shoe hard?

Old 06-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
    left foot
    Veteran
    (female)

left foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rah468 View Post
    Left Foot - how long did it take you to wean off of crutches once you were able to start walking on your foot in a boot? I've been on them just over a week. Today I was able to use 1 when I was in a couple of stores. My surgeon warned me "some days you'll feel fine walking on your foot and then you'll pay for it the next day, so here's some more pain meds". I have a feeling tomorrow will be one of those days. lol. I can start transitioning to a regular shoe June 27th and was supposed to start PT then too, but I'm gone on vacation until the end of July and my insurance won't let me to do it where I am. Dr. wasn't really happy about that so he sent me to PT where is office is right after my checkup with him and they gave me exercises to do twice a day to hopefully hold me over until I get back. Was trasitioning into a regular shoe hard?
    I progressed with weight bearing 25%/week over a period of 4 weeks, using the crutches the whole time until I reached 100%. Once I got to75% I only used them more or less for balance. Once I was at 100% I only used them when I got tired or if my foot got too sore from walking in the boot. What your surgeon said about feeling fine on it one day and then paying for it the next is so true. It's hard to learn to pace yourself because you're feeling so good and you want to do so much, and you don't feel the pain & soreness right away. Be careful of this. Stop and rest while it still feels good, don't wait until it starts hurting because then it might really feel bad the next day. Transitioning into a shoe was actually a welcome relief from the boot because it was much lighter and easier to walk in, but I had to follow a schedule. I was only allowed to wear it for short periods for the first week or so, increasing the time by 30 minutes a day or something. I got myself a really good pair of athletic shoes. My foot was really stiff though, and even now I still limp a little from time to time, but each day seems to get better. Next week it will be 5 months since my surgery. Stay faithful to your exercises, they really do help!

Last edited by left foot; 06-10-2014 at 08:19 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    calcaneal osteotomy, fdl tendon transfer, pttd surgery