It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Anyone used an iWalk 2.0 after calcaneal osteotomy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
    Wonky kiwi
    (female)

Wonky kiwi HB User
    Anyone used an iWalk 2.0 after calcaneal osteotomy?

Hi all,

I'm booked in on July 3rd for a lateral calcaneal osteotomy to correct my high arch and wonky ankle and to have my perineal tendons sutured together and reattached. After a lifetime of twisting my ankle repeatedly because I'm walking on the side of my foot I am tentatively looking forward to it.

My question is about aids after the op. I know a lot of people rate the knee scooter. I live in a three storey house with steps up to a long steep driveway so I imagine if I did hire one I would only use it on the living level. Is it worth it for covering such a small area. I'm pretty proficient on crutches but know that long term NWB will play havoc with my arms.

When I was googling ideas I came across the iWalk 2.0 - a knee crutch where your leg is on a platform like that of a knee scooter, that allows you to be hands free. Has anyone had any experience with this or can anyone come up with any reasons why this would not work following the surgery. I'm thinking about it allowing me to get out my front door for some fresh air more than anything. As I'm in New Zealand I'd have to buy it. I can always hire a knee scooter down the track if I need it but thought I'd just see what the experts said.

Cheers
    Nic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
    boatschool87
    (male)

boatschool87 HB User
    Smile Re: Anyone used an iWalk 2.0 after calcaneal osteotomy?

Nic,

I have used the iWALK2.0. Luckily it was a trial and I did not need it long term. It was a great improvement over the original design in that it is easier to learn, easier to put on and remove, and best of all less expensive.

From how you describe your surroundings a knee scooter probably isn;t a good option. I would highly recommend getting it prior to surgery so you can gain confidence with it prior to actually needing it. Walking with your knee bent is counter to what your brain has told you since you were 2 years old. Getting the knack prior to pain killers will make it much easier.

I'm not sure if there is a NZ/AU distributor. If not you could resell your device easily when you are done. GoodbyeCrutches ships overseas, so you can contact them for delivery options. Happy Healing

Last edited by moderator2; 06-15-2014 at 02:20 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to boatschool87 For This Useful Post:
    Wonky kiwi (06-25-2014)
    Old 07-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #3
    avidly
    (male)

avidly HB User
    Re: Anyone used an iWalk 2.0 after calcaneal osteotomy?

I use an I walk 2.0 every day I had a broken calcaneus 7 weeks ago. I used crutches for the first week and bought an I walk online the next day. I get lots of stares and questions but compared to crutches its amazing. You need really good knees however because it is hard on both of them good luck

Old 07-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
    dama
    Veteran
    (male)

dama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB User

I have no clue about your type of injury compared to the brostrum and peroneol and its cover that I had operated on at the end of april.

I wanted to be a tough guy and make crutches work which I did, even on painkillers. Don't know if I would have tried navigating steps.

I would have said a fit person can handle it BUT I wasn't told specifically about post op swelling except keep taking meds and raise it, etc.

I was annoyed with sensations during my recovery and the slightest hint of throbbing. I would say my pain was contained by meds for the first couple weeks if I just sat still in bed with the foot raised. If the medicine didn't make me loopy I could have watched a movie for example without obsessing over the foot.

My shock came when I put my foot down the morning after surgery, after my never block wore off. The pain meds didn't do anything for the extrem rush of throbbing that felt to me like it was in my whole foot, it would swell and flush.

In order to go to the bathroom I had to slowly move myself off the bed with crutches and raise my foot as high as I could behind me to take the edge off. I had a very active job and have fought through minor injuries, etc. and there is no way I could just let my foot dangle for about 3 weeks. Raising it at the knee behind me took the extreme edge off although it still throbbed. When using the bathroom and sitting I had to raise it onto a box or the bathtub edge.

So long story short if that is normal to have that kind of pain/swelling after any foot injury, I now see the light as far as the knee scooter goes and don't see why nobody told me about one. It could have made recovery around the house the first weeks productive. I could have prepared and moved my meals to my bedroom on my own. Being up on your feet longer and using the left side could only lessen the change of dvt, etc. Of course I would carefull.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
    left foot
    Veteran
    (female)

left foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonky kiwi View Post
    Hi all,

I'm booked in on July 3rd for a lateral calcaneal osteotomy to correct my high arch and wonky ankle and to have my perineal tendons sutured together and reattached. After a lifetime of twisting my ankle repeatedly because I'm walking on the side of my foot I am tentatively looking forward to it.

My question is about aids after the op. I know a lot of people rate the knee scooter. I live in a three storey house with steps up to a long steep driveway so I imagine if I did hire one I would only use it on the living level. Is it worth it for covering such a small area. I'm pretty proficient on crutches but know that long term NWB will play havoc with my arms.

When I was googling ideas I came across the iWalk 2.0 - a knee crutch where your leg is on a platform like that of a knee scooter, that allows you to be hands free. Has anyone had any experience with this or can anyone come up with any reasons why this would not work following the surgery. I'm thinking about it allowing me to get out my front door for some fresh air more than anything. As I'm in New Zealand I'd have to buy it. I can always hire a knee scooter down the track if I need it but thought I'd just see what the experts said.

Cheers
    Nic
    What did you end up doing? I used the knee scooter just on our main floor and space is fairly tight, but I would still say it was definitely worth it. I also took it to doctor appts and PT before I was weight bearing, but I just had one big step out the door onto the sidewalk. Do you have someone who could carry it down the steps for you when you go outside?

Closed Thread

Tags
    calcaneal osteotomy, knee scooter