It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Flatfoot reconstruction post op shoe size?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #1
    5elevenfemale
    (female)

5elevenfemale HB User
    Flatfoot reconstruction post op shoe size?

I am just over 9 months post-op flatfoot reconstruction surgery which involved gastrocnemius recession, calcaneal osteotomy and fix of ruptured posterior tibial tendon. Everything went well without a minute of pain post op even though my bones were slow to heal, NWB for close to 15 weeks but then on to PWB without a glitch. At the 7 month mark went back to desk job but was desperate to find a suitable dress shoe at least for slacks. I found a looser loafer style but need a change.

I am beginning to wonder if the width of my heel at the back is going to go back to normal. If I try to fit into a normal dress shoe it is a tight fit as there is a thickness near I guess the top of the heel/Achilles tendon area.

Any hope for me getting back into dressier shoes at least on a limited basis?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
    Peach86
    (female)

Peach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB User
    Re: Flatfoot reconstruction post op shoe size?

My surgery was just over 9 months ago also. I remember being told that I could have some swelling for up to a year post op. Thankfully, I haven't had any swelling for several months...I am blessed to be able to wear any shoes I want at this point; however, I do still wear athletic shoes or boots 90% of the time.

November 2014
    Left PTTD Reconstruction - same procedures

Old 06-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
    5elevenfemale
    (female)

5elevenfemale HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peach86 View Post
    My surgery was just over 9 months ago also. I remember being told that I could have some swelling for up to a year post op. Thankfully, I haven't had any swelling for several months...I am blessed to be able to wear any shoes I want at this point; however, I do still wear athletic shoes or boots 90% of the time.
    Thanks for the reply. I hope to get to your position sooner than later. I know being careful the first year will just contribute to success down the road.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #4
    TamiNicole
    (female)

TamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB UserTamiNicole HB User

It definitely took some time for me to get into a dress shoe! Even after the pain was gone, I still got some residual swelling from time to time. Shoes I used to wear don't fit me at all, and my overall shoe size has gone down 1/2 to 1 size. However, I'm about 7 months post-op from my second flat-foot surgery and I can now wear just about any shoe I want!

12/12/13, Left foot: Gastroc recession, calcaneal osteotomy, FDL transfer

Old 06-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #5
    punkin77
    (female)

punkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB User

My surgical foot is 1/2 size to 1 size larger now after PTTD surgery 18 months ago. Most of my pretty dress shoes do not fit.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
    5elevenfemale
    (female)

5elevenfemale HB User

Thanks everyone. I guess it depends a lot on your individual case.

Closed Thread

Tags
    flatfoot surgery without tendon transfer, post -op, shoe size, swelling foot