It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Recovery after FDL transfer and calcaneal osteotomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
    Leedspecks65
    (female)

Leedspecks65 HB User
    Recovery after FDL transfer and calcaneal osteotomy

Hi there
    I see some members have also had this procedure. I would really like some advice.

I had the operation 9 weeks ago today, was in not-weight bearing cast for 6 1/2 weeks and have been in an air cast boot for 2 weeks(full weight bearing!1). I went to my first physio appointment on Wednesday and she said until I had been in the boot for 5 weeks she couldn't do anything, is this correct?
    She is only planning to start on 5th September.

I am a secondary teacher and was due to start back at school on Monday 1st Sept. Is this a likely possibility? Which is 2 weeks on Monday.

I am anxious to get back to normal but am not sure what is and isn't possible and don't want to damage the repair.

Ideas and help please

Hop a long
    x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
    Suze81
    (female)

Suze81 HB User
    Re: Recovery after FDL transfer and calcaneal osteotomy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leedspecks65 View Post
    Hi there
    I see some members have also had this procedure. I would really like some advice.

I had the operation 9 weeks ago today, was in not-weight bearing cast for 6 1/2 weeks and have been in an air cast boot for 2 weeks(full weight bearing!1). I went to my first physio appointment on Wednesday and she said until I had been in the boot for 5 weeks she couldn't do anything, is this correct?
    She is only planning to start on 5th September.

I am a secondary teacher and was due to start back at school on Monday 1st Sept. Is this a likely possibility? Which is 2 weeks on Monday.

I am anxious to get back to normal but am not sure what is and isn't possible and don't want to damage the repair.

Ideas and help please

Hop a long
    x
    l

Hi there hope you are well.
    Can I just ask what FDL transfer is?
    I broke my calcaneus on the 26th April and I had my operation on the 1st May and I have 4 screws in place. I was In a big cast for two weeks after op and then they put me in to a smaller cast and I was non weight baring the whole time.
    5 weeks later I was put in to the boot and was 20% weight baring. I had my first physio appointment at beginning of July. She couldn't do much with me but I was given exercises to do. She Also needed more info from my surgeon. I was in the boot for 6 weeks and then I could start in sandals or trainers. Sandals have been the better option and work on light WB.
    I had hospital Monday just gone and asked about going back to work. I'm a sales consultant in a travel agency so I sit down for my job and do meet and greet and my surgeon said no it's a serious injury and was signed off a further 6 weeks. It's very painful and the pain is quite sharp.
    It's a long process and the surgeon will keep you off as long as needs too they will want you to rest etc. when the physio gives you the exercises do them regularly. Swimming is great for when you can start.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
    Leedspecks65
    (female)

Leedspecks65 HB User

Hi there, thanks for your post. FDL transfer is a tendon repair across the ankle as well as the calcaneotomy. I only have 1 screw. I think I am trying to run before I can walk(excuse the pun) and need to just listen to the advice they give. Thanks for the advice about swimming.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
    Suze81
    (female)

Suze81 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leedspecks65 View Post
    Hi there, thanks for your post. FDL transfer is a tendon repair across the ankle as well as the calcaneotomy. I only have 1 screw. I think I am trying to run before I can walk(excuse the pun) and need to just listen to the advice they give. Thanks for the advice about swimming.
    I've been the same. I was so active before being member of gym etc. and I did my injury on a 5K obstacle course all for charity.
    Your sounds more serious than mine x

Closed Thread