It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Cortisone shot following ankle debridement

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
    Louie17
    (female)

Louie17 HB User
    Cortisone shot following ankle debridement

I was diagnosed with synovial impingement of the ankle and had ankle debridement surgery about 4.5 months ago. I am continuing to experience pain 4.5 months out, so my doctor wants to try a cortisone shot.
    Prior to my surgery I received a cortisone shot that hurt tremendously, which was the reason I ultimately decided to get the surgery. Because I am still in a lot of pain, my doctor wants to attempt a cortisone shot again. I'm apprehensive bc of the pain I experienced with the cortisone shot that I received prior to my surgery.
    Has anyone experienced pain pre-op following a cortisone shot and then received another cortisone shot post-op. If so, I was wondering how the post-op cortisone shot went and whether you recommend for me to get one at my next follow up.
    Any help would be very much appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
    umtum
    (male)

umtum HB Userumtum HB Userumtum HB User
    Re: Cortisone shot following ankle debridement

I never had a cortisone shot but it seems to be a hit or miss... I understand that for most cases cortisone is not a permanent fix and its only temporarily relief of pain which could last about 6 months if successful... Also I know that cortisone tends to weaken tendons so if you have tendon issues it's probably not a good idea...

I was wondering what type of pain symptoms you are experiencing? Is it more inflammation? Or does it feel more like bone aching? Or is it burning? Sharp/stabbing?

I would get a second opinion just to make sure your pain is not caused by something else your doctor isn't recognizing...

Last edited by umtum; 08-16-2014 at 05:34 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    arthroscopy, cortisone injection, cortisone injections, debridement, pain after ankle surgery