It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• pttd surgery 3 months not fussing right

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-17-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
    Notgivingupnow
    (female)

Notgivingupnow HB UserNotgivingupnow HB User
    pttd surgery 3 months not fussing right

Hello,
    I hope you are all doing well. I am 12 weeks post op . I had a bunionectomy, calcaneal osteotomy, and talonavicular fusion using my bone marrow. On my 11 week visit I was told by my surgeon that he was not happy with what he saw in the xray. He told me that my talonavicular joints were not fussing. Also my foot turns red then purple when I hang it over the bed. I am not allowed to bear weight yet and have to use my bone growth stimulator. Please , if you have any helpful advise or experience please share them with me. Thank you

Last edited by Notgivingupnow; 08-17-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
    left foot
    Veteran
    (female)

left foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB User
    Re: pttd surgery 3 months not fussing right

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Notgivingupnow View Post
    Hello,
    I hope you are all doing well. I am 12 weeks post op . I had a bunionectomy, calcaneal osteotomy, and talonavicular fusion using my bone marrow. On my 11 week visit I was told by my surgeon that he was not happy with what he saw in the xray. He told me that my talonavicular joints were not fussing. Also my foot turns red then purple when I hang it over the bed. I am not allowed to bear weight yet and have to use my bone growth stimulator. Please , if you have any helpful advise or experience please share them with me. Thank you
    My foot turned red and purple for awhile, even after I started bearing weight. Once I began walking more it eventually went away (maybe around 4-5 months, don't remember exactly). I think that part seems rather normal until you get the blood circulating better. Sorry to hear that things aren't fusing properly yet---hope the bone growth stimulator helps!

Old 08-20-2014, 07:00 AM   #3
    Notgivingupnow
    (female)

Left Foot: thank you for your reply. This puts my mind at ease. I hope all is well for you....

Old 08-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
    Newm
    (male)

Newm HB UserNewm HB User

Hi notgivinguonow, I think if there is no good result shown in X ray, you'd better don't put weight on it. I heard some technology could help promote bone recovery fast, like called stem cell! No hesitate to get second option.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
    Notgivingupnow
    (female)

NewM ... Thank you for your advice. I had stem cell used from my bone marrow in the original surgery. I also used a bone growth stimulator the first three weeks. On my 11 week visit the doctor told me I should have used the stimulator the whole time and that I should put it back on and I have been using daily since. I do pray all goes well on my Sep. 10 visit... thank you. That will be my next option ifbthey are not fusing.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
    Justintime44
    Veteran
    (female)

Justintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB User

My heart goes out to you. I also had talonavicular fusion like you, but I'm only at nearly 6 weeks. I am concerned about the bones fusing as well. I'm completely NWB and will have it x-rayed at 10 weeks for the first time since surgery. How does the bone growth stimulator work? Is it painful? Heavy? I do wish you all the best during this trying, albeit scary, time. Try to think positive thoughts and give your body and foot time to heal. Please keep us updated.

Sincerely,
    K

May 2016 - Tarsal Tunnel Release surgery
    July 2014 - Talonavicular Fusion and Achilles Tendon Lengthening, same foot

Old 08-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
    Notgivingupnow
    (female)

The bone growth stimulator is not uncomfortable as far as structure but it weighs at least a pound or so. I felt the weight more so at the begining since the wounds were fresher. My incisions looks so much nicer now. I was suppose to use the stimulator continuosly but was never really told that so after 3 weeks of the weight between that and the fixator combined I stopped using the stimulator to relieve some pressure on my ankle. That may have slowed the healing down. I am at week 13 and still completely NWB.... and using the stimulator.

I pray you heal rapidly and completely.

The Following User Says Thank You to Notgivingupnow For This Useful Post:
    Justintime44 (09-02-2014)
    Old 08-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #8
    Newm
    (male)

Newm HB UserNewm HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Notgivingupnow View Post
    NewM ... Thank you for your advice. I had stem cell used from my bone marrow in the original surgery. I also used a bone growth stimulator the first three weeks. On my 11 week visit the doctor told me I should have used the stimulator the whole time and that I should put it back on and I have been using daily since. I do pray all goes well on my Sep. 10 visit... thank you. That will be my next option ifbthey are not fusing.
    Sorry for replying so late. Please google Mark Myerson in Mercy hospital for your spared consultation. He did a lot of fusion, and I remembered he have a speech about the non fusion bone treatment. I hope you can get the right solution to fix your problem. Praying for you!

Old 09-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #9
    Notgivingupnow
    (female)

Newm... thank you. I will check it out.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #10
    Notgivingupnow
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justintime44 View Post
    My heart goes out to you. I also had talonavicular fusion like you, but I'm only at nearly 6 weeks. I am concerned about the bones fusing as well. I'm completely NWB and will have it x-rayed at 10 weeks for the first time since surgery. How does the bone growth stimulator work? Is it painful? Heavy? I do wish you all the best during this trying, albeit scary, time. Try to think positive thoughts and give your body and foot time to heal. Please keep us updated.

Sincerely,
    K

Old 09-17-2014, 10:07 PM   #11
    Notgivingupnow
    (female)

Justintime44.. i pray you're doing much better now. I am at 4 month and still non weight bearing. On month 5 i will be getting another xray done with hope that the bones would have fused. The bone growth stimulater is not painful at all. It is a bit heavy only because the foot is weak to begin with. It goes over your cast or boot and it has a small battery about the size of a blackberry cell phone that gets plugged in. You actually dont feel a thing. You can hear that its working as it has a light sound. It has been helping but I'm a slow healer. My blessings to you. Be well

The following user gives a hug of support to Notgivingupnow:
    Justintime44 (09-18-2014)
    Old 09-18-2014, 12:02 AM   #12
    Justintime44
    Veteran
    (female)

Justintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB User

Thank you for the thorough information about the bone growth stimulator. You must be going crazy now -- 4 months so far, and you need to wait until 5 months. My heart and prayers go out to you even more. I just passed two months (9 weeks), and I get X-rays next week to see if my talonavicular joint has fused. I hope it has, as my mom still kindly stays with us during the week, taking care of my nine year old son, bringing him to school, cooking, doing laundry, and driving me back and forth. Luckily, I've been working from home for about three weeks, so that keeps me busy and happier for now. I'm very lucky, so far.

How do you stay positive and keep busy? What activities or things bring you joy and happiness while you recuperate? The one good thing I can think of is that your body is still healing, and you don't have to go through surgery again. Keep thinking and doing positive things for yourself. You are a strong and kind person. You're so thoughtful to ask about me when I am more concerned about you.

Please keep me updated on your progress and how you are handling the stressfulness of this situation. You will get better. It's just taking much longer than you planned.

Best wishes for a continued recovery.

K

Old 09-18-2014, 05:46 AM   #13
    Notgivingupnow
    (female)

Justintime44...
    Aren't mothers a blessing? That is really sweet of her. My mom lives two hours away and is 73 years old. She has come to help me three times already and each time for a week. I do have my husband that takes care of me. I am much more mobile now with the scooter. I cook and do dishes. I cannot go up to the second floor yet so I still have to wash using a basin. I keep busy buy watching TV, reading and learning crafts on *******. I also ******** with my family and friends. I'm 49 and I have two grandsons that give me so much joy. One is2 1/2 and the other is 1 1/2.

I still have numb ot tingling feelings on my toes and outer side of my foot but a little less now. I have to say that I'm anxious to stand but also scared of what it would feel like. I fear that i will feel the screws somehow. I guess each step brings new concerns or fears and then it's over before we know it.

Did you have an external fixator after surgery ? If so, what was your experience with that ? I've read that most people get a cast.

Last edited by Notgivingupnow; 09-18-2014 at 05:48 AM.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:39 AM   #14
    Justintime44
    Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for your update. We're the same age, but I had my son a little later. Hopefully he's keeping me young! After the surgery, I had a large splint for 12 days and then went into a cast. I had many challenges with different casts, so I'm already on my 6th cast. The cool thing about that was I've gotten to actually see my foot, wound healing, gradual decrease in swelling, etc, and took pictures along the way. This has helped me be a little more optimistic, seeing the positive changes in my foot. But the thought of putting any weight on my foot terrifies me. How do you put 10%, then 20%, then gradually more weight on your foot? Once my bones fuse, and I pray that they fuse, the next huge hurdle is to transition to a CAM walker and gradually put weight on my foot. I read other peoples' posts to see how they do it. Only time will tell. I guess it will truly be one step at a time.

My mom is 77 and soon to be 78. Bless her heart, I think we've run her ragged and she'll need a long vacation from us! I already asked/told her that we'll be bringing her to Hawaii sometime next year (after I can walk again...). She likes that idea!

Keep up that positive attitude and take great care of yourself.

K

Old 09-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #15
    Notgivingupnow
    (female)

Lol... thank you for the good chuckle... you're funny. Everything will be just fine. Every person heals differently. I'm a slow healer to begin with and have many health issues including vitamin D difficiency. Vitamin D is very important for bone growth.

I love your positive attitude. That helps healing as well. This will all be over before we know it..
    This week i began sitting for longer periods of time on my couch and going out to stores a bit more. The scooting causes horrible back pain and pain on my other foot that also has pttd. However, the more i go out and sit up the less pain and the stronger I'm getting. Praise God.

I'm scheduled to begin working Oct. 6th so I'm getting ready. Next week i will practice getting in and out of my car and will begin driving. I still won't be able to stand but my boss is going to meet me at the parking lot daily to help me retrieve the scooter. My husband will put it in the car every morning.

Be well my friend. I'm here to listen

Last edited by Notgivingupnow; 09-19-2014 at 08:52 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    healing, pttd