It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• PTTD with full ROM?????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
    34metoo
    (female)

34metoo HB User
    Question PTTD with full ROM?????

Has anyone been diagnosed with PTTD even with full ROM (range of motion) of their ankle? If so, what stage were you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
    Peach86
    (female)

Peach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB User
    Re: PTTD with full ROM?????

Yes...I have PTTD in both ankles and have full range of motion in both. My doctor doesn't really talk about stages; but, when I had the first ankle reconstructed last September, the tendon was so degenerated I had to have the FDL transfer and my foot was so far out of position they had to do the medializing calcaneal osteotomy (pretty standard) and the Evans calcaneal osteotomy with bone graft (lateral column lengthening for more severe condition). I will be having the second ankle done this November...yippee

November 2014
    Left PTTD Reconstruction - same procedures

Old 09-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
    34metoo
    (female)

34metoo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peach86 View Post
    Yes...I have PTTD in both ankles and have full range of motion in both. My doctor doesn't really talk about stages; but, when I had the first ankle reconstructed last September, the tendon was so degenerated I had to have the FDL transfer and my foot was so far out of position they had to do the medializing calcaneal osteotomy (pretty standard) and the Evans calcaneal osteotomy with bone graft (lateral column lengthening for more severe condition). I will be having the second ankle done this November...yippee
    Thank you so much for your reply. That is one of the issues that had me confused. One of my doctors always makes comments like "well, you have full range of motion". Like he doubts I have pttd because my ankle still has it's full range. However, the O.S. says I have PTTD. I hope your recovery continues to go well.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
    Justintime44
    Veteran
    (female)

Justintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB User

I had full ROM as well and was diagnosed with PTTD over four years ago. It was never discussed as an issue related to diagnosis. Consider yourself lucky! I finally could not stand the pain 24/7, so I had surgery 8 weeks ago. I'm still NWB (nonweightbearing) for two more weeks until I. Get the cast removed and X-rays.

Good luck in your healing!

May 2016 - Tarsal Tunnel Release surgery
    July 2014 - Talonavicular Fusion and Achilles Tendon Lengthening, same foot

The Following User Says Thank You to Justintime44 For This Useful Post:
    34metoo (09-12-2014)
    Old 09-11-2014, 12:08 AM   #5
    JustMeJen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 34metoo View Post
    Has anyone been diagnosed with PTTD even with full ROM (range of motion) of their ankle? If so, what stage were you.
    I was diagnosed with PTTD about 4.5 years ago. Stages were never mentioned but it must have been quite early because after a bunch of things did not help it custom orthotics did and I've been asymptomatic since except for a while this summer when my non-surgical foot flared up in anger at bearing the brunt of crutches while I was non-weightbearing. Even then I was fortunate enough for it to settle down again once I wasn't pounding on it all the time and had a few days of prescription strength anti-inflammatory. My ROM was excessive in my left ankle (separate issue) and normal in the right except for bilateral loss of dorsiflexion. After being casted for so long my left ankle has greatly improved dorsiflexion and I'll be doing a lot of stretching long term to try to keep this. Time will tell what the left ROM will be but it is improving enough I'm thinking normal in another 6 months or so.

I am the extremely lucky person with this diagnosis. It may come back to haunt me some day but I'm guessing that having the tendons and ligaments repaired and continuing with very supportive orthotics and ongoing exercises will at the very minimum delay this for a long time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustMeJen For This Useful Post:
    34metoo (09-12-2014),Justintime44 (09-13-2014)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    foot and ankle, pttd