It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Plantar Fasciitis exhausted options!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
    kaybella
    (female)

kaybella HB User
    Unhappy Plantar Fasciitis exhausted options!!

I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis in 2008. It started in my left foot after an injury to my right foot. After a while, I was in an incredible amount of pain all the time. Since then, I have endured hours of physical therapy that seemed to make things worse, cortisone shots (on two separate occasions), shock therapy (the ultrasound thing), icing, massage, night splints, custom supports, and the most recent, an air cast with partial immobility coupled with oral steroids for 6 days.

The thing is, I'm 28 years old and not overweight...really quite average. I work 45 hours a week and i'm on my feet all of those hours. I'm a college student currently taking the semester off to progress treatment (I'm a law enforcement major). My doctor does not want to perform surgery because he thinks I'm too young, my desired profession requires mobility at all times, it might cause more damage, or it might not work and so he's offered me this last ditch option.

Tomorrow morning, he is administering a cortisone shot and then placing my foot in a cast. A permanent cast for three weeks. He said he wants absolutely no mobility because there is a severe amount of inflammation. He compared an x-ray from 2009 and now and I couldn't believe how large my heel spur has gotten. I understand that the spur itself does not cause pain, but it's definitely much larger than it was five years ago.

However, I was wondering if anyone has had the same treatment and if it worked for them? He told me it has a 90% success rate. If that's the case, why have i gone five years in chronic pain that could have been alleviated in just three weeks?

Any input would be appreciated, I have times where I even contemplate continuing school in what i want to do because I'm afraid it's never going to get better. I had a break down just the other day, crying to my SO about how I can't even enjoy walks like i used to, or running, and how going to work is a chore because I'm always limping. I just want a better quality of life. I used to be really active and if I'm not working or going out on a date here and there, I'm pretty much sitting on a couch, or laying down in bed because the pain is so unbearable at times.

I feel like I should mention that I don't take any pain killers. I'm an opioid addict (clean for two and a half years, which ironically started because of this condition) and I'm allergic to ibuprofen. I take tylenol occasionally and sparingly because I once did damage to my liver from abusing narcotics. So I feel every ounce of pain, every step I take, every day.

The following user gives a hug of support to kaybella:
    movielover40 (09-16-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
    Justintime44
    Veteran
    (female)

Justintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB User
    Re: Plantar Fasciitis exhausted options!!

I have had plantar fasciitis since 2009, and it flares up and becomes very painful. Earlier on in my treatment, I had a cast for six weeks to try to calm the inflammation, pain, and burning sensation. I also had a few cortisone shots along the way, but never together. Since cortisone has definitely helped me with the pain, and the cast helped, albeit temporarily, with the pain, it sounds like a good combination and definitely worth trying.

Regarding medication, please talk further with your doctor to see if there are any other options to help you control the pain. Tylenol at more than 4 grams a day is toxic and very dangerous for your liver. My doctor recommends I take less than 3 grams daily, often in combination with other medications. There are other prescription strength anti-inflammatories that are more gentle on your stomached than Ibuprofen. Ibuprofen makes me sick to my stomached, but other non-narcotic medication like Relafin might help. Other doctors prescribe medication as a nerve block, such as Neurontin, which is also not a narcotic. Talk to your doctor about other safe choices to help you with the pain. It is so stressful on your feet, your entire body, and your emotions to be in such constant pain. It sounds like you need something that will not be addictive to safely help you get through this.

I wish you well and the best of luck!
    K

May 2016 - Tarsal Tunnel Release surgery
    July 2014 - Talonavicular Fusion and Achilles Tendon Lengthening, same foot

Old 09-16-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
    YogaDancer
    (female)

YogaDancer HB UserYogaDancer HB UserYogaDancer HB UserYogaDancer HB UserYogaDancer HB UserYogaDancer HB User

I had plantar fasciitis in my early 20's and I took a leave of absence for many reasons, one of which was this medical issue because, like you, it was excruciating to walk. I was also in great shape back then too. I was an exercise fiend then. Now I workout much less, and do yoga daily.

I saw a podiatrist then and he prescribed daily home stretching foot/arch/achilles/calf exercises 3-5x/day. Doing those, it eventually went away in a few mos.

Not sure how progressed your fasciitis is, but follow the doc's regimen (stay off foot, cortisone shot, and use cast) and see how it goes the next 2 mos. If it doesn't improve, see a board-certified orthopedic surgeon.

If there's a lot of inflammation, do RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevate). I'd suggest taking an NSAID but since you said you're allergic and addicted to certain meds, talk to you doc and ask him for appropriate med. Tylenol has little to no side-effects for most people, not even stomach upset so I think it's one of the safer drugs. I take two 500-mg Tylenols when I'm in severe pain. Occasionally I also take 1 celebrex with a prescribed antacid but I get tummy upsets so I restrict this med unless my foot scar tissues are so inflamed I have no choice. But that's been very rare lately, thank goodness.

I no longer have plantar fasciitis every since that year. But I think mine was caused by my inherited flat feet and tight achilles/calves of which I have since obtained PTTD surgery for my left foot. I was supposed to do the right foot when I was 34 years old, but I opted for physical therapy and I haven't needed pttd surgery on right foot (yet).

Best.

PTTD surgery:
    Calcaneal Osteotomy,
    FDL tendon transfer

Last edited by Mo-S4; 07-14-2015 at 11:00 PM.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

I feel your pain. I could barely walk 2 years ago and now I'm pain free.

After stretching I would use an ice pack on my foot for about 15 minutes.

Mine was also caused by flat feet and my foot doctor made me some custom made shoe inserts that helped a lot.

Best of luck...

Old 09-16-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
    kaybella
    (female)

kaybella HB User

Thank you so much for your replies, everyone! It definitely feels better to know that I'm not alone and it does generally go away without surgery! i went and got casted today, and they gave me a cortisone shot. I haven't had cortisone in a couple of years and forgot how painful it can be! I ended up taking tylenol and naproxen to help with the pain today...Seems to be working okay for now . I'm definitely confident this will work, my doctor told me this is the best treatment, and when he takes it off in three weeks I should be pain free. I'm excited because I've been living with this for so long and I haven't even reached my 30th birthday yet!

anyway, I appreciate your support, and i'll update again after this cast is off!

p.s. when are you too old to have your cast signed? This is my first ever!

The following user gives a hug of support to kaybella:
    ml56 (09-25-2014)
    Old 09-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #6
    JustMeJen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB User

I couldn't have any NSAIDs for many years until recently because of an interaction with a med I was on. I also can't have steroids, injected or oral because I am bipolar and they make me manic (I'm extremely sensitive) and many other meds are not permitted with another med I am on. When I was have PTTD issues my podiatrist had a gel compounded that was put on my foot several times per day. It had all the stuff I couldn't take plus a little that I could but which worked better this way. If I remember it had: baclofen (anti-spasmodic), some steroid, some anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxant. There may have been one other component but those are the ones I remember. It really did help and avoided the liver and all of that.

You are never too old to have your cast signed. I learned to use discretion though. When I was still pretty medicated I let my then 3 year old niece go nuts on my first solid cast and it wound up looking like hot pink leopard skin. It got a LOT of comments and I wasn't really leaving home much yet so those comments came from every single person I encountered through home health and dr visits. Which was fine but I will admit that I was a tad bit self-conscious and after that got dark purple so that if she signed one so happily again it wouldn't show as much. I then avoided cast signings just because I had to stare at the thing all the time because I was elevating 24/7 for 6 weeks of the 10 I was casted which put it right in my line of sight and I was happier staring at a clean slate.

I read somewhere about someone having a friend draw a tie-dye pattern on a glow in the dark cast so they had a glowing tie=dye cast. I thought that sounded fun.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
    BUD778
    (male)

BUD778 HB User

The cast did help but it was def temporary to keep me outta pain and the muscles strethced, I ended up getting Tarsal Tunnell surgery which really helped but was a long recovery.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
    chrisjm45pb
    (female)

chrisjm45pb HB User

Hello,
    I totally get the pain your in for I had the exact problem myself. I got rid of the heal spur by using a particular Calcium Capsules within 3 months it totally disappeared. I thought I was going to end up with surgery as well. And these Capsules worked. I'm only 47 years old and I want to be active like you. I'm sorry to hear your suffering I will pray for you! If you want more info on what I used let me know. Take care!

Last edited by Administrator; 09-18-2014 at 12:34 AM.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:30 AM   #9
    hurtzdonut
    Inactive
    (male)

hurtzdonut HB Userhurtzdonut HB Userhurtzdonut HB Userhurtzdonut HB Userhurtzdonut HB Userhurtzdonut HB User

I finally got rid of my plantar fasciitis but it took a long time. The pain was unbelievable. All I can offer is what worked for me. Please read my comments (and others) on the following two threads. Search the archives for more info as well. The important thing to understand is how your actions, foot wear and lack of footwear puts stress on the plantar fascia and it's attachment point to the heel bone. Your heel spur, while looking like it causes pain, does not. It is a symptom of the enormous stress being put on the bone which causes micro fractures in the bone which reacts by growing a big bone spur. The trick is to reduce this stress and inflammation which will allow the area to heal. It could take a year or more but once healed it should not return. Good luck to you and since pain killers are an issue for you, use the pain as motivation to work daily at healing this condition.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/979751-plantar-fasciitis-surgery.html

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/960730-plantar-fasciitis-shoes.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hurtzdonut For This Useful Post:
    Justintime44 (09-22-2014),kaybella (10-09-2014)
    Old 09-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #10
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

the best correct for your problem is stretching because your planar facia is tight and that is all it is. Rigid shoes and casts are the worst thing in the world for you. If you look up exercises for this on the Internet, you will be amazed as to how quickly you will see the difference. I speak from experience because I had it years ago and have always been a very active person. Of all things, do not let anyone cut that because it is a very, very important part of your body. It controls your walk, your hips and so on.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #11
    BUD778
    (male)

BUD778 HB User

What color cast did ya get? Hows it feel, the way my dr explained it to me was the cast stretches achilles and relives pain on the facitis.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:11 AM   #12
    kaybella
    (female)

kaybella HB User

thank you so much for your responses everyone!

update on my progress: i had the cast removed on tuesday, 10/7, after wearing it for three weeks. the first thing i noticed was that i had a thinner, paler, hairier, weak left leg/foot that was very dry..after the initial cosmetic concerns, i noticed that the bottom of my foot was squishy.....maybe supple is a better word? anyway, the doctor pushed on my heel (where 99% of the pain resides) and it hurt, but not like it did three weeks ago, and my arch was practically pain free.

it has now been two days and it's still hard for me to get around. my ankle is still very weak and keeps giving out. in order for the muscle to regain strength though, i feel like i should be walking on it...right? i mean, i didn't really get any instructions other than to take it easy and not overdo it. but today the heel pain started again. it's bearable..but unpleasant. i've slept with my night splint on to keep the muscle stretched while i'm sleeping and when i'm just lounging around and ice it when it becomes uncomfortable to walk on.

i'm returning to work after a months long medical leave vacation next week. i'm required to work 45 hours a week so i had to have a note stating i can only work 10hrs the first week and then go up in 5hr increments per week so i'm less likely to do further damage. also, i ran out of toilet paper today and i asked my sister to travel on downstairs to get it for me..she wouldn't..so i went myself. going down was much easier than coming up but still wasn't very fun, but on the way up i really felt like i was overdoing it. i iced it and spent the rest of the day off of it.

i'd be lying if i said i wasn't afraid the pain is going to come back all the way. i pushed on the spot of my heel where it hurts and it's very tender. i really just want to get back to a normal life. i brought in my 29th birthday last week wearing a cast and i just feel like i'm too young for this nonsense. it's chronic pain and i'm not even 30 yet. it's putting stress on my work relationships, and family relationships. work doesn't care..they're there to run a business..my family who was helpful for the first week is no longer an option to even ask for help from and my bf works all day 5 days a week..hardly enough time to cater to my needs. anyway, the point i'm getting at is that i'm having trouble getting assistance when i need it and i'm afraid i'm going to end up doing more damage to myself before i even get the chance to heal.

i just really really hope this ends up working out in the long run. i have to go to the store tomorrow, so i'll be on my feet a little bit longer than i have been and i'm really just hoping the pain will be gone or at least remain bearable.

Closed Thread

Tags
    chronic, foot pain, heel pain, plantar, plantar fasciitis