It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• home from pttd surgery a lot of pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
    tawk2
    (female)

tawk2 HB Usertawk2 HB Usertawk2 HB Usertawk2 HB Usertawk2 HB Usertawk2 HB User
    home from pttd surgery a lot of pain

this is jason, tawk2's husband. surgery was on monday 9/15. took 5 1/2-6 hours. anesthesiologist said in 20 years never seen this much work done in one foot surgery. thank you everyone for thoughts and prayers. i will try to keep everyone up to date with her recovery.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: tawk2
    34metoo (09-22-2014),Justintime44 (09-19-2014)
    The Following User Says Thank You to tawk2 For This Useful Post:
    YogaDancer (09-20-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
    JustMeJen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB User
    Re: home from pttd surgery a lot of pain

Sorry that she is having so much pain. That's a huge surgery. I will pray for her.

The Following User Says Thank You to JustMeJen For This Useful Post:
    tawk2 (09-19-2014)
    Old 09-18-2014, 11:12 PM   #3
    Justintime44
    Veteran
    (female)

Justintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB User

Please send my well wishes to your wife. That is an incredibly long surgery. No wonder she's in so much pain. I hope the doctor has prescribed appropriate pain medication to help her get through the toughest part -- the first week. I was in a lot of pain and had two nerve blocks with attached medicine balls for a week that were a life saver for me (popliteal nerve block and saphenous/femoral artery nerve block). If she can take the medicine, I hope they have prescribed her Percocet, Dilaudid for breakthrough paing, Flexiril for muscles spasms, Relafin or another prescription strength anti-inflammatory, and perhaps something to sleep. I had these medications due to a lot of pain the first two weeks. take medications with a timer on her cell phone. Always try to stay ahead of the pain, for it can be hard to catch up.

I hope she is able to elevate her foot constantly above her heart and has two ice packs (one below the knee and one on the cast/foot where she wants it). I had six pillows, two cross-ways, three up on top of each other, and an extra for the car/doctor's appointments. I only brought my foot down to use the bathroom and later the shower. Change the reusable ice packs every 2-3 hours in the day and at least once at night, if possible. It does make a big difference in healing, I have found.

Thank you for taking loving, good care of her during this difficult time. It will get better, but each day's progress sometimes seems slower than you hope. Bring her flowers and cards to surround her with love and good thoughts. Ask others to send her cards (and maybe food for you both!). Ask for help as needed. Be specific of what you need or want, so others can help and not hinder her healing. Get plenty of rest in between, when you can.

Please send her my best!

K

May 2016 - Tarsal Tunnel Release surgery
    July 2014 - Talonavicular Fusion and Achilles Tendon Lengthening, same foot

Old 09-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
    ingriddj
    (female)

ingriddj HB User

Thank you for the update Jason. I'm sorry she is in so much pain.
    Please give her my best. Take care of yourself too!

The following user gives a hug of support to ingriddj:
    tawk2 (09-20-2014)
    Old 09-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
    tawk2
    (female)

tawk2 HB Usertawk2 HB Usertawk2 HB Usertawk2 HB Usertawk2 HB Usertawk2 HB User

thank you for your kind words and advice.I will take care of her the best i can. I hope your recovery goes as well as possible. I will try to keep you updated as to her recovery is going.

The Following User Says Thank You to tawk2 For This Useful Post:
    ingriddj (09-20-2014)
    Old 09-19-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
    YogaDancer
    (female)

YogaDancer HB UserYogaDancer HB UserYogaDancer HB UserYogaDancer HB UserYogaDancer HB UserYogaDancer HB User

Tawk2,

I'm thinking about you & sending you good cheer & well wishes.

Take great care of yourself. Sorry to hear you're in so much pain. Come here & chat when you are able.

HUGS.

To Tawk2's hubby, keep us posted on her progress! Thanks

PTTD surgery:
    Calcaneal Osteotomy,
    FDL tendon transfer

The following user gives a hug of support to YogaDancer:
    tawk2 (09-20-2014)
    Closed Thread