It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Screws and plates in your surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-01-2014, 06:29 AM   #1
    macyk
    (female)

macyk HB Usermacyk HB Usermacyk HB Usermacyk HB User
    Screws and plates in your surgery

How many screws and or plates do you have from your surgery.? I just had a complete revision of botched triple Arthodesis where I had 5 screws. The revision that was 2 weeks ago I was given 8 screws plus a plate. Curious as to what others have as far as hardware. I ask to have the first 5 screws after they were removed and they are big and long. Ughhh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
    Justintime44
    Veteran
    (female)

Justintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB User
    Re: Screws and plates in your surgery

I only had talonavicular fusion, and my surgeon inserted two 4.5 mm and one 3.5mm stainless steel screws. I do not have any plates, but it all depends one the surgeon and the surgery.

K

May 2016 - Tarsal Tunnel Release surgery
    July 2014 - Talonavicular Fusion and Achilles Tendon Lengthening, same foot

Old 11-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
    Justintime44
    Veteran
    (female)

Justintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB User

I only had talonavicular fusion, and my surgeon inserted two 4.5 mm and one 3.5mm stainless steel screws. I do not have any plates, but it all depends on the surgeon and the surgery. You are having three separate fusions, so I would imagine that you will have a lot more hardware to maintain the fusion.

I have noticed in other people's posts that the screws in the heel section (Calcan. Joint) are sometimes more bothersome, so some people have that screw removed about one year or so after surgery.

K

Old 11-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
    Oaktree 77
    (male)

Oaktree 77 HB User

Hi, I just had talonavicular fusion on August 27. I had 9 screws and a plate put in my foot and was in a cast non weight bearing for 8 weeks. I started physical therapy 2 weeks ago and now am walking with no crutches. I can't feel the plate and screws in my foot just a little numb at the scar and I'm being careful not to be on it too much till my muscles get stronger. 6 of my screws are very long also and I was told there is only a small chance of removing them. Only if they rub tendons and cause pain down the road which so far so good. I put this surgery off for 2 years and now it's getting better every day. Good luck it's a tough decision!

The Following User Says Thank You to Oaktree 77 For This Useful Post:
    macyk (11-05-2014)
    Old 11-04-2014, 11:02 PM   #5
    Justintime44
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oaktree 77 View Post
    Hi, I just had talonavicular fusion on August 27. I had 9 screws and a plate put in my foot and was in a cast non weight bearing for 8 weeks. I started physical therapy 2 weeks ago and now am walking with no crutches. I can't feel the plate and screws in my foot just a little numb at the scar and I'm being careful not to be on it too much till my muscles get stronger. 6 of my screws are very long also and I was told there is only a small chance of removing them. Only if they rub tendons and cause pain down the road which so far so good. I put this surgery off for 2 years and now it's getting better every day. Good luck it's a tough decision!

Your screws, plate and especially recovery amaze me! Are you sure that you only had TN fusion? And, you already walking? Wow! I'm 16 weeks and still using the walker. And I only had 3 screws. Your recovery is amazing!

Old 11-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
    Oaktree 77
    (male)

Oaktree 77 HB User

I actually had talonavicular fusion and gastronemius recession and the gastronemius is what bothers me the most it's still pretty tight. I do have pain in my foot after an hour long pt session. I have a very aggressive therapists and I was sick of the crutches but I am walking w/o them even though I have a slight limp. I'm still in my cam boot until I go back to my Dr. on Nov. 18th. It seems like a slow process but don't look day to day, look week to week and you will see big gains. I don't have much pain on my p/t off days but I make sure I stretch my foot and calf muscles every day and that helps a lot. Keep pushing through the pain, my foot aches bad at the end of my p/t but it feels good the next day. It's just all your muscles that sat idle for months getting tired and sore. Take care

Closed Thread