It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Second PTTD Reconstruction

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
Peach86
(female)

Peach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB User
Second PTTD Reconstruction

Eeeeekkkk! I went for all the fun preop tests today in preparation for my second reconstruction happening in two weeks. I'm starting to go a little crazy realizing everything I still need to do before the surgery. ..finish prepping my house, rent the knee walker, finish Christmas shopping! Yikes! In some ways it's easier having an idea what to expect the second time around, but in other ways knowing what the next few months will be like makes it harder.

Those of you who have had the joy of having to have pttd surgery on both feet, how did foot number one hold up to crutches, etc? Any suggestions for a successful second recovery?

November 2014
Left PTTD Reconstruction - same procedures

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2014, 06:01 AM   #2
Newm
(male)

Newm HB UserNewm HB User
Re: Second PTTD Reconstruction

hi Peach, I read a lot of your posts half years ago. I know you have good outcome on your first surgery.
I still havenot had surgery, so no experience. But my prayer go out for you. Good luck!

Old 11-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
sinclair34
(female)

sinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB User

Wow! I had my right foot do e last year and followed in your footsteps. So far my left foot is hanging in there! but I had double total knee replacements on 10/20. It is challenging in a different way, but I think overall, is probably not as hard as the PTTD because there are so many ups and downs with PTTD recovery.

Will be thinking of you and hope all goes well.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
Robox58
(female)

Robox58 HB User

Sinclair can you elaborate on the recovery ups and downs? I'm suppose to be having surgery in Dec and am really nervous of what to expect and I'm trying to really wrap my arms around this whole thing. Thanks!

Old 11-08-2014, 09:46 PM   #5
sinclair34
(female)

sinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB Usersinclair34 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robox58 View Post
Sinclair can you elaborate on the recovery ups and downs? I'm suppose to be having surgery in Dec and am really nervous of what to expect and I'm trying to really wrap my arms around this whole thing. Thanks!
With PTTD surgery, there are many phases. My doctor had me casted and non-weight bearing for 9weeks. The initial post-op pain improves after about 5 days, but the cast can be uncomfortable with staples underneath. Fortunately, my doctor changed my cast every 7-10 days as a matter of routine...not all surgeons do that. Each time I was convinced that the cast was too tight or was rubbing me raw in certain spots, but when the cast came off, everything looked fine. The last 2-3 weeks in the cast were better, especially once the staples came out. My foot was numb in many areas, not really a bad thing. After awhile, the nerves begin to regenerate and that can cause a stinging feeling. If that is really bad, there are meds that can help tremendously with nerve pain...not everyone is bothered by that though. When the cast comes off, it is very exciting and feels great. Then I started PT which I enjoyed. It felt good to get moving. However, the beginning of the partial weight bearing phase was much more challenging than I expected. My foot had been immobile for so long that it didn't feel good to put weight on it, even in a boot. It takes awhile to get to a normal walking gait, good days, and bad days.

I don't intend to scare you with all of this. None of the phases were horrific..it is just a long recovery and each phase has its challenges. I had a knee scooter and managed to get out a lot during my early recovery. Not everyone does that, but for me, it was good for my state of mind to go to a movie, sit in handicapped section and prop my foot on scooter, or go to church. I was NWB during Christmas, so friends would pick me up and take me to parties. I would park myself on the sofa and let friends bring me food. I might be tired after, but much better than being a hermit. My motto is to keep moving if at all possible.

Best of luck to you. Learn all you can, prepare, then buckle up and get through it! You can do it. So glad I did.

The Following User Says Thank You to sinclair34 For This Useful Post:
Justintime44 (11-09-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 05:15 AM   #6
Robox58
(female)

Robox58 HB User

Thank you so much! I'm trying to get everything together so I'm prepared! It's the immobilization that bothers me... I'm closterphobic so having a cast on for 8 weeks bothers me profusely but like you I want to be up and about... And it will be the holiday season ( my favorite time of the year) I need to keep moving. Scarey thing is we're already getting snow which will make getting out problematic to say the least. Did you have pain in your leg and behind your knee prior to the surgery? My whole left side is a mess due to this issue. My leg kills me along with my foot...I just pray this surgery helps!

Old 11-09-2014, 06:53 AM   #7
sinclair34
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robox58 View Post
Thank you so much! I'm trying to get everything together so I'm prepared! It's the immobilization that bothers me... I'm closterphobic so having a cast on for 8 weeks bothers me profusely but like you I want to be up and about... And it will be the holiday season ( my favorite time of the year) I need to keep moving. Scarey thing is we're already getting snow which will make getting out problematic to say the least. Did you have pain in your leg and behind your knee prior to the surgery? My whole left side is a mess due to this issue. My leg kills me along with my foot...I just pray this surgery helps!
I didn't have leg pain that I recall, but I have (or had) knee problems and hip and back problems for years, and am now realizing it probably all started with my feet. If the feet aren't right, it throws off alignment for whole body.

I hope you have family and friends who can help you. Fortunately, I did not have snow to contend with. If you can't get out, ask people to come to you. Once you are up to it, invite friends to come play cards, or watch a movie with you. We hosted a New Year's Eve party for very close friends! My husband provided beverages, friends brought food, and we had a blast. I just sat there and enjoyed the company.

I will also pray that your surgery is a big success.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
Robox58
(female)

Robox58 HB User

Thank you so much honey!!!

Old 12-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
Robox58
(female)

Robox58 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinclair34 View Post
I didn't have leg pain that I recall, but I have (or had) knee problems and hip and back problems for years, and am now realizing it probably all started with my feet. If the feet aren't right, it throws off alignment for whole body.

I hope you have family and friends who can help you. Fortunately, I did not have snow to contend with. If you can't get out, ask people to come to you. Once you are up to it, invite friends to come play cards, or watch a movie with you. We hosted a New Year's Eve party for very close friends! My husband provided beverages, friends brought food, and we had a blast. I just sat there and enjoyed the company.

I will also pray that your surgery is a big success.
Hi Sinclair, well I had my surgery yesterday and it went well accept they had to put off one of the procedures for three weeks from now. Apparently didn't want me out any longer. I did end up having a general so I guess that was the reasoning. My leg block wore off this morning and despite. the pain Meds I've been taking I am in terrible pain right now! Please tell me this will get better!!!!

Old 12-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #10
Peach86
(female)

Peach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB User

Robox,

The pain does improve, but it is gradual...my doctor tells me to judge differences in pain week to week, not so much day to day. You will also encounter different types of pain along the way.

I'm 2 weeks out from my second reconstruction The first week is probably the most severe pain...Keeping your foot elevated and lots of ice will help. Anytime your foot is down, it will swell which equals PAIN.

This improves somewhere during the second week, but will continue to a certain extent for several months. At 2 weeks post op, my foot is just generally achy with some "bee sting" sensations...apparently, that's the nerves waking back up. At this point, I'm fine not taking any pain meds, but I do have pretty high pain tolerance...I'm honestly having more issue with hip/back/leg pain due to a possible SI joint problem from walking so weird for so long. It's super frustrating that THAT'S what's keeping me awake at night, not my foot If anyone has any ideas of how to deal with that issue while being forced to sit or lie down 24/7, I'd love to hear them! The only thing that has helped me previously was Toradol injections and a 4 week course of Relafen, but of course I can't take it because it's a NSAID.

I remember that the third week postop was the week I saw a big improvement in my pain and overall strength after my last surgery. However, like I mentioned, each new phase (new cast, beginning weight bearing, PT, etc.) will bring new types of pain...It's all part of the process. I can honestly say that all the pain and frustration was 100% worth it for my first foot though It does get better!

November 2014
Left PTTD Reconstruction - same procedures

Old 12-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #11
Robox58
(female)

Robox58 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach86 View Post
Robox,

The pain does improve, but it is gradual...my doctor tells me to judge differences in pain week to week, not so much day to day. You will also encounter different types of pain along the way.

I'm 2 weeks out from my second reconstruction The first week is probably the most severe pain...Keeping your foot elevated and lots of ice will help. Anytime your foot is down, it will swell which equals PAIN.

This improves somewhere during the second week, but will continue to a certain extent for several months. At 2 weeks post op, my foot is just generally achy with some "bee sting" sensations...apparently, that's the nerves waking back up. At this point, I'm fine not taking any pain meds, but I do have pretty high pain tolerance...I'm honestly having more issue with hip/back/leg pain due to a possible SI joint problem from walking so weird for so long. It's super frustrating that THAT'S what's keeping me awake at night, not my foot If anyone has any ideas of how to deal with that issue while being forced to sit or lie down 24/7, I'd love to hear them! The only thing that has helped me previously was Toradol injections and a 4 week course of Relafen, but of course I can't take it because it's a NSAID.

I remember that the third week postop was the week I saw a big improvement in my pain and overall strength after my last surgery. However, like I mentioned, each new phase (new cast, beginning weight bearing, PT, etc.) will bring new types of pain...It's all part of the process. I can honestly say that all the pain and frustration was 100% worth it for my first foot though It does get better!
Thank you so much for the response. I hear ya on the other pains too. My whole body is off because of this foot issue. It's good to know kind of what to expect week to week, I just need to be patient... Something I'm not very good at. Going to the bathroom is tough even with the elevated seat, something I'll need to get used to. The throbbing drives me crazy and I'm keeping the foot up but it's only been a day so one day at a time. I'll keep you updated and thanks for your information.

Closed Thread