It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• last Thursday 8 weeks post op my surgeon put me in a walking knee high boot told me i

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
    tawk2
    (female)

tawk2 HB Usertawk2 HB Usertawk2 HB Usertawk2 HB Usertawk2 HB Usertawk2 HB User
    last Thursday 8 weeks post op my surgeon put me in a walking knee high boot told me i

Hi all! I will soon be at nine weeks post op, I had pttd surgery with many other procedures 20 to be exact a 6 and hour surgery on sept 15,2014.

My surgeon last week at eight week post op appt. Removed my third cast didvxraysvand then put me in a knee high air can walkingbboot.

He saidveverything wasvhealing well except my cadaver bone fission which he did on the top of NY foot to help lemgthen and straighten my foot. I also have two very longnscrews in my heel to realign my foot. I had tendon work tibial tendon , a badly torn ligament, me he release that my surgeon actually had to go into the muscle to release then he wrapped the nerve with stem cells. I also had a cadaver bone put in the top of my foot which is being stubborn fussing. I had many other procedures including Achilles tendon lengthening.

I am excited to be weight bearing with a cane and walking boot 50% but, I am also nervous of over doing it.

The first day I used my cane and walking boot I actually went up about 15to20stairs and did a load of laundry. I came back down sideways and went to kitchen to fix my lunch. Afterward, my foot was killing me very swollen and purple. So l took off boot and put my foot up for the test of day and night. Next morning put boot back on and used cane and walked through downstairs about 10 to 12 times. Then foot was in extreme pain especially around cadaver area. I called my surgeon the next morning after enduring the from earlier. My surgeon told me to stay off of it a day or two then try again. He wants me to walk for as long as I can but if extreme pain sets in to put it up and try again in a couple of hours.

My surgeon at last visit my bone mineral density was very low therefore the cadaver fission has slowed down signifantly he gage me a phone number for a vitimin that helps bones grow problem is insurance does not cover and it costs $60.

My question is am I moving to fast? I believe in and respect my ortho surgeon just I had so much done afraid I will tell injure myself. Anyone else had this experience? Any help very appreciated! I do want to do the right thing. I also have my ortho surgeons personal cell phone which is great to have. I am also 55years old but my surgeon said I have the bones of a 20 year old in this foot, but I has bad arthritis all through my body. Any help would be appreciated. I am doing my pt excersizes twice a day but my medicare dropped the pt therapy my fifth week post op don't know if I will get them back. Thanks to everyone on this site for all you r compassion and help.

Happy early thanksgiving to all who celebrate,bless you all for all your help.

Last edited by tawk2; 11-18-2014 at 03:44 PM. Reason: needed to add more info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
    Dancing Cat
    (female)

Dancing Cat HB UserDancing Cat HB UserDancing Cat HB User
    Re: last Thursday 8 weeks post op my surgeon put me in a walking knee high boot told

Hello tawk2

Glad to hear everything is healing well, but after that amount of surgery, you might need to slow down!

Recovering from foot surgery is a long, slow process and, as I learned to my cost, trying to do too much too soon can set you back BIG TIME. When I was first in my airshield boot my consultant advised me to take it very slowly at first. I still went up and downstairs on my hands and knees. At first I walked with two crutches and just tried to walk a little further each day - but on the flat to start with.

I know how frustrating this stage is, but things will get better, it just takes time.

Hope this helps

Dancing Cat

The following user gives a hug of support to Dancing Cat:
    tawk2 (11-22-2014)
    The Following User Says Thank You to Dancing Cat For This Useful Post:
    tawk2 (11-22-2014)
    Old 11-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
    tawk2
    (female)

Re: last Thursday 8 weeks post op my surgeon put me in a walking knee high boot told

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dancing Cat View Post
    Hello tawk2

Glad to hear everything is healing well, but after that amount of surgery, you might need to slow down!

Recovering from foot surgery is a long, slow process and, as I learned to my cost, trying to do too much too soon can set you back BIG TIME. When I was first in my airshield boot my consultant advised me to take it very slowly at first. I still went up and downstairs on my hands and knees. At first I walked with two crutches and just tried to walk a little further each day - but on the flat to start with.

I know how frustrating this stage is, but things will get better, it just takes time.

Hope this helps

Dancing Cat
    Thank you dancing cat! Yes its so frustrating all this laying around and barely walking. My whole foot and calf are healing well,except where he put the cadaver bone and n the top of my foot.

My surgeon just talked to me and said I could 50% weight bear with my cane he also gave me permission to go upstairs twice a day. He also said I can start putting up Christmas decorations of cou rse with my husbands help and no climbing. My surgeon also ordered the machine I don't know the name of it but, you put on foot twice a day and it helps bone fission growth etc. My cadaver bone is not fussing as quickly as my doctor wants. My surgeon this morning also told me if it starts hurting at anytime to stop and get off it and ice it. I know I can't tush it but nine weeks down I just want to be well again I know you can understand.

Thanks again and if you celebrate. Happy thanksgiving!

The Following User Says Thank You to tawk2 For This Useful Post:
    Justintime44 (11-26-2014)
    Old 11-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
    Dancing Cat
    (female)

Hello tawk2

How are you doing today? I hope you are following your surgeon's advice and not overdoing it?

When I first saw my consultant (before I had my surgery) and we talked about possible treatments, he warned me that if I agreed to surgery the whole process could take as long as two years until I was fully healed/ walking normally.

In the end, I had my surgery in June 2013; I was 8 weeks NWB in a cast ( had a wheelchair and a knee walker to get out and about); then about 4 months PWB in the walker boot, at first with 2 crutches and eventually with one; then another 4 months without the boot (but with orthotics in flat, mainly lace-up shoes, on one crutch); until the present day when I walk normally FWB without crutches.

So I don't think I'm doing too badly. I was signed off by the surgeon in May 2014, but still go to see my physiotherapist, and still wear the orthotics when I'm going to do a lot of walking - on my recent trip to Washington DC, we did a lot of sightseeing and I'd been warned there was going to be a lot of walking involved, so I wore flat shoes with the orthotics. Also, I packed my ice pack and made sure I rested, with my foot elevated, back at the hotel, especially if we were going out again in the evening.

When I first had the walker boot it took me a long time to get the hang of negotiating stairs upright with just one crutch. I still like to take my time, especially coming down and the stairs are steep or have narrow treads. I had had a bad fall in April 2013 on our stairs at home and ended up having to call an ambulance, so I take extra care.

I went back to work (I'm a primary school teacher) in September 2013 when I'd been in the walker boot for about a month. At first that was really hard, as I was exhausted and aching by the end of every day; but after a few weeks I got used to it and I managed. Are you still working and if so, what do you do?

Thank you for your Thanksgiving greeting - we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in the UK. Our next big festival/ holiday is Christmas and all the shops are bursting with Christmas decorations, cards, wrappings and presents.

Thinking of you,

Dancing Cat

Old 11-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
    Justintime44
    Veteran
    (female)

Justintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB User

I am concerned that you are going too fast and walking too much on your foot. Surgeons, including mine who is amazing, was much too quick to encourage FWB soon after I got my cast off. I told him he was wrong, as my foot and atrophied muscles and tendons needed to be strengthened step-by-step to get better. At the early stages when you first get your cast off, it is so easy to over-do-it and have tremendous pain and swelling. My first PT after the cast removal was much too aggressive in going from PWB to FWB in just three weeks while I was in agony most of the time. I saw my surgeon, he re-evaluated my foot and realized that several bones around my fusion site were inflamed and swollen in pain. My surgeon then had me change PTs and gave the new PT very different directions/orders to take PWB much slower so I could tolerate it. I lost about six weeks due to the first PT, but now the second PT is helping me so much. My muscles, tendons, bones, and foot are so much stronger. I am finally walking short distances without agonizing pain (but still some pain).

Listen to your body. I hope that you are able to do stretching and strengthening exercises 2-3 times a day in addition to careful, graduated walking. If you do not know what types of exercises you should be doing,you can ask here. But, it would be much better if your surgeon wrote you a new prescrition to go to PT again and have it covered my insurance. It is worth a shot.

It sounds like you may be using a bone growth stimulator to help with the fusion of the cadaver bone. If that part of your foot is still not yet fused, I would be hesitant to do some much walking and stair climbing myself. Your foot and body still need more time to heal. After all the procedures and incredibly lengthy surgery you had, I was quite surprised that your surgeon already released you to walk. Surgeons are not PTs. PTs help you develop your strength, balance and mobility along the way.

Good luck in your healing. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

k

May 2016 - Tarsal Tunnel Release surgery
    July 2014 - Talonavicular Fusion and Achilles Tendon Lengthening, same foot

Old 11-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
    left foot
    Veteran
    (female)

left foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justintime44 View Post
    I am concerned that you are going too fast and walking too much on your foot. Surgeons, including mine who is amazing, was much too quick to encourage FWB soon after I got my cast off. I told him he was wrong, as my foot and atrophied muscles and tendons needed to be strengthened step-by-step to get better. At the early stages when you first get your cast off, it is so easy to over-do-it and have tremendous pain and swelling. My first PT after the cast removal was much too aggressive in going from PWB to FWB in just three weeks while I was in agony most of the time. I saw my surgeon, he re-evaluated my foot and realized that several bones around my fusion site were inflamed and swollen in pain. My surgeon then had me change PTs and gave the new PT very different directions/orders to take PWB much slower so I could tolerate it. I lost about six weeks due to the first PT, but now the second PT is helping me so much. My muscles, tendons, bones, and foot are so much stronger. I am finally walking short distances without agonizing pain (but still some pain).

Listen to your body. I hope that you are able to do stretching and strengthening exercises 2-3 times a day in addition to careful, graduated walking. If you do not know what types of exercises you should be doing,you can ask here. But, it would be much better if your surgeon wrote you a new prescrition to go to PT again and have it covered my insurance. It is worth a shot.

It sounds like you may be using a bone growth stimulator to help with the fusion of the cadaver bone. If that part of your foot is still not yet fused, I would be hesitant to do some much walking and stair climbing myself. Your foot and body still need more time to heal. After all the procedures and incredibly lengthy surgery you had, I was quite surprised that your surgeon already released you to walk. Surgeons are not PTs. PTs help you develop your strength, balance and mobility along the way.

Good luck in your healing. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

k
    I agree with you. When I got my cast off & went into a boot, I still had 4 weeks left of NWB, but they had me start exercises. The doctor asked me if I WANTED to do PT and at that point I was going to decline because I thought I knew how to do the exercises they showed me why should I go to PT. But then his PT saw me there in the office and insisted that I should start PT. She said with the FDL tendon transfer she always recommends therapy right away to get that tendon moving and learning how to function in it's new role. I started at the beginning of March and went until sometime in July I believe.

Last edited by left foot; 11-23-2014 at 05:55 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to left foot:
    tawk2 (11-24-2014)
    Old 11-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
    Dancing Cat
    (female)

Hello Justintime44, left foot and tawk2

The first exercises that my physio gave me were to get the range of movement back in my foot and consisted mainly of stretching and, once I could do that without too much trouble, drawing circles in both directions with my toes. I didn't start weight bearing exercises until I got rid of the walker boot, and even then he told me to do the heel raises while sitting down to start with. At every stage I was advised to stop at any sign of pain, elevate the leg and apply the ice pack if there was any swelling.

Have a good Thanksgiving holiday,

Dancing Cat

PS Love your grumpy cat avatar, mine is a little more relaxed!

The following user gives a hug of support to Dancing Cat:
    tawk2 (11-24-2014)
    The Following User Says Thank You to Dancing Cat For This Useful Post:
    tawk2 (11-24-2014)
    Old 11-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
    tawk2
    (female)

Thank you everyone for all your great advice I am taking it easy and am trying to weight bear a little at a time when it starts to hurt I put my foot up and ice it. I should be getting the bone stimulator machine soon, hopefully it will help that cadaver bone to start healing again.

Bless you all and Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

The following user gives a hug of support to tawk2:
    Dancing Cat (11-24-2014)
    Old 11-25-2014, 02:14 AM   #9
    JustMeJen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB User

Medicare (especially if you have traditional Medicare that is easier for therapists to fight with) should let you back into therapy as you progress. The rule with Medicare is that you have to be showing progress and when you are homebound as I think you were for your earlier therapy you also have to meet homebound requirements and what it takes to be considered ok at home can be very different than what it means to be ok in the real world. So when the dr feels outpatient PT is indicated the PT should be able to get more visits approved because you are in a completely different situation now that you are walking. If you are still homebound you probably would qualify for home health PT again as well since what you can do with weight-bearing greatly exceeds what you can do when NWBing.

Medicare has a lot of rules but a lot of ways around them. One rule limits how much PT you can get to something like $1200/year, which is not may sessions at all. But all that has to happen if you cross that line is that the PT has to document that you have a diagnosis that indicated the need for ongoing treatment and that you meet these really simple criteria for continued therapy. At that point PT will continue until they give you a paper saying that you are aware that PT will no longer be covered because you have either met all goals or you have achieved your maximum potential at this time (leaving it open to more therapy later on) and if you continue past that point you would pay out of pocket. My experience is that if you go past that point you really are wasting money because the therapist wouldn't do the Medicare discharge if you didn't need it, but most people know ahead of time that the end is coming and are prepared.

If you have managed Medicare the same stuff is true, there's just an additional layer for the therapists and possibly your dr to navigate to get approval. But they eventually will; nobody could say that therapy after what you went through is unreasonable.

The Following User Says Thank You to JustMeJen For This Useful Post:
    tawk2 (11-28-2014)
    Old 11-25-2014, 07:50 AM   #10
    Dancing Cat
    (female)

Just popped in to say - how are you doing tawk2?

Hope things are going well,

Dancing Cat

Closed Thread