It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• So when is my foot going to fit back into my shoes?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
    GoingCrazy2
    (female)

GoingCrazy2 HB User
    So when is my foot going to fit back into my shoes?

I broke my ankle (multiple fractures in tibia and fibula) on September 15, had surgery on October 14th, started PT last week and seem to be healing nicely, but my foot is still funky looking. The ankle is still swollen, and when I tried to get it into my tennis shoe today - just to see, because I've been able to get it into my winter boots, but of course they're roomier -- anyway I could not even get my foot into the shoe.

I thought this was a fairly straightforward thing, but -- one of my muscles right above where the plate and screws are is hard as a rock, and sometimes it hurts. What is up with that, I wonder? My PT rubbed it with something during my last session, but she had kind of a funny look on her face.. anyway I keep thinking I'm over the hump - thought so when I got the staples out, then when I got off the crutches, then when I was able to walk in the boot without any discomfort. But if I'm not going to be able to get my foot back in my tennis comfortably, that's going to be a problem.

I'm just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience - and welcome any general input, thoughts and ideas.

ETA: I have a plate and 6 screws in my ankle on the outside of my left foot.

Last edited by GoingCrazy2; 11-22-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
    FarmersWife13
    (female)

FarmersWife13 HB User
    Re: So when is my foot going to fit back into my shoes?

Hello... I am new here on the threads

Sorry you are having trouble getting in your shoes.

I was in a bad accident in August leaving me with a broken femur, ankle, and heel. I also had surgery and have a plate and 7 screws in my foot... and rod in my leg.

anyways.. I still have 1 week left in my boot, but I am in the midst of transitioning to tennis shoes.. 3 weeks left on crutches. My foot is also a tighttt squeeze into my shoe, and it sucks! Are your shoes a wide width? Maybe that would help you? Also my PT gave me some compression socks that help with swelling.. try icing your foot as much as possible.

Its hard adjusting to all the changes, and who knew how important your foot was!! Its great that you can walk in shoes and without crutches though, keep up the great work! I am very anxious myself.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:44 AM   #3
    Dancing Cat
    (female)

Dancing Cat HB UserDancing Cat HB UserDancing Cat HB User

Hello Going Crazy and FarmersWife

I had a calcaneal osteotomy in June 2014 and there are very few of my pre-surgery shoes that I can still wear for any length of time. Either the heels are too high, or they are too low cut and don't give enough support.

When I first came out of my cast/ walker boot, the only pair that I could walk comfortably in were an ancient pair of flat, soft leather, lace-up shoes. The laces undid a long way down, so I could open them right up, then gently get my poorly foot in and lace them back up as tight as I needed to.

After a lot of icing, elevation and rest the swelling sorted itself out. But, in the end, I had my feet measured and bought a couple of pairs of really comfortable lace-up shoes to wear with trousers for work, as I'm on my feet for most of the day. I can wear ballerina style pumps with a low heel or court shoes with a wedge heel, if I want to wear a skirt or dress, but only for a short time. Even after all this time my feet are still slightly wider than they were pre-surgery.

Hope this helps

Dancing Cat

PS can't bring myself to throw away my pair of red, 6" high, killer heels!!

Old 11-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
    GoingCrazy2
    (female)

GoingCrazy2 HB User

Thanks for the replies. My PT told me not to expect the foot to ever look the same as the other one, and I do have skinny ankles.. the shoe I can't get my left foot in though is a Nike, so.. not cheap, and I have several pair and cringe at the thought of having to buy new ones, especially to have to buy a size to accommodate the one foot, which would mean the shoe on my right foot would be too big. I mean, I really hope I don't have to do that.

This morning I got out of bed and put my broken foot down first - not fully awake and didn't even think about it, and now it hurts, and this muscle or whatever it is -- it's so hard it feels like a bone - is more pronounced than ever, and really hard. I did take the boot off last weekend but I was at home and lying around and did not do too much walking, but ... I think probably that was a bad idea - and have followed the instructions to the letter except for that.

Anyway I will continue to ice it and do the exercises, and stay in the boot -- but I have a bad feeling about this, and I could never afford to replace all my shoes so it's a real bummer, and I looked back over my paperwork and the word "displacement" is everywhere, so .. it seems like this is never going to end, and like I said thought I was out of the woods but apparently not.

Thanks for the replies - and good luck to everyone.

Last edited by GoingCrazy2; 11-23-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
    Justintime44
    Veteran
    (female)

Justintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB User

It has been just over two months since you hurt your foot. The bones in our foot are the slowest to heal in our body, so it sounds like you are progressing quite well. But, it takes time for the swelling to go down and for your foot to heal more. I encourage you to ice and elevate your foot above your heart when you can, to help decrease the swelling. For many of us, after surgery and plates and pins, we need to buy new shoes in a bigger size to accommodate our "new" foot. It is hard to be patient, as foot injuries and recovery from surgery can be much slower than expected. Hang in there. Over time my hope is that the swelling will continue to improve.

K

May 2016 - Tarsal Tunnel Release surgery
    July 2014 - Talonavicular Fusion and Achilles Tendon Lengthening, same foot

Old 11-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #6
    GoingCrazy2
    (female)

GoingCrazy2 HB User

Justintime - Hi again and thanks for the reply. I'm going to be extremely unhappy if I have to buy new shoes and only one foot will fit. The shoe will then be too big on the good foot! Plus, I do have a lot of shoes and cannot afford to replace them all. So that's very disheartening. I did get my foot in my tennis shoe this morning (sorry if I already posted that), but I have a feeling my favorite pair of boots is going to be a problem, because they're a little narrow. I know this sounds shallow, but again, replacing all my shoes is not in my budget. Will just have to wait and see, I suppose. In the meantime I am back to icing twice a day and elevating when I can. I'm not home as much so it's a little harder to do, but I'm going to be more aware of icing and I really appreciate the input because my PT did not tell me this, and I do believe it will be helpful (icing it 2x a day instead of once).

I did buy a gel pack from them and I love it and wish I'd had it all this time because it's so soft. Ice on a tender ankle does not feel that great.

About the compression socks, I bought a pair already but they were so tight they hurt my feet. Someone picked them up for me and on the box it said moderate, but they are really tight. Can anyone enlighten me on this? I lost the receipt so did not take them back - and they weren't cheap - but I do think it would be helpful to wear them but just need to know exactly what kind I need. I guess that's a question for the physical therapist.

I still don't understand about the bone. It's hard as a rock!

Old 11-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #7
    JustMeJen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB User

When I was in a boot and getting closer to wearing a shoe I was trying to figure out what kind of shoe would work. For some reason one night I happened to look at my feet when they were side by side and I realized that my post-surgical foot was 3/4" shorter than the other one (I got a measuring tape and measured because it was such a big difference). It turned out that it was scar tissue that was pulling my arch into an abnormal position. After a few more weeks of PT my feet were pretty much the same size again. I didn't have hardware so that obviously makes a difference but you may have a more simple solution and will find this isn't permanent at all. I think there is about a quarter inch difference now but I can wear the same size shoes without any problems and I'm still working on getting free movement in the foot so I expect it to continue to improve.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #8
    GoingCrazy2
    (female)

GoingCrazy2 HB User

I Googled something today and wound up on a board for bikers. Lots of good information there, too. More info than I've gotten from the doctor or my physical therapist. It does take some time, apparently, and I do think I'll get there.

One thing that surprised me was how many people have breaks and don't need surgery, and also the number of people that have their plates and screws taken out. I can't imagine that.

I guess the most important thing I've learned is that I have to look after myself, like you did. I look at my feet side by side a lot, just because there's such a difference. But I have the broken foot in a tennis shoe right now, am wearing it just for a short while.

I tried the compression sock today and it was way too early for that. I kept it on about an hour but it was bothering me, and when I took it off, all three scars were red, and tender.

Thank you for the reply -

Old 11-25-2014, 12:53 AM   #9
    JustMeJen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB User

IF the dr didn't recommend the compression stocking it may be too soon. Those things are tight, even if they say they are moderate or less than that. They do make something called stockingette that you can get pretty cheaply in a place that sells home medical supplies. The whole roll is maybe $10 and once you have it you just cut it in pieces that go from your toes to wherever you feel is comfortable. It has elastic in it so there is a little compression and support but nothing like a compression sock. A roll will let you make several "socks" (I wore them under real socks) and they wash fine. This is the only good thing that came out of PT when I really hurt myself 5 years ago. I know I used to cut it long enough to fold the top down a little but don't remember if they told me to or if that was a personal preference for some reason. I was on my feet all day for about 10 hours/day right after my injury and when my boot came off and this stuff helped quite a bit with the swelling from being up too much.

Give it time and you'll be surprised how much it changes. I was in a cast until 10 weeks and a boot for 6 more and so I missed seeing a lot of the early healing stuff. In fact I had steri-strips in place for so long that a section of my big scar healed so well it's nearly impossible to find it. But even with all that time to heal I've been amazed at how much has changed since I started PT 13 weeks ago. For so long I had pain just below my incision that felt like the incision rubbing. I thought it would never end. The surgeon told me it was my newly repaired tendons rubbing on the scar tissue and it would settle down. Sure enough I rarely am aware of that now. I also always had pain in the tendons going up into the muscle they connect to. Now that is never where the pain is. Now the pain is always from scar tissue that gets angered. I just went through weeks of my foot hurting so badly and finally that has let up and I assume there is less scarring on the sole of my foot now. Perhaps my feet are even the same size; I haven't looked.

Don't feel like worrying about your shoes is not a reasonable fear. I think everyone's been through it to whatever degree. I was in a brace for so long that I pretty much only had sneakers, old sneakers for yard work, boots for snow and slippers. I've had a hard time having to get rid of old sneakers and not have any "back-up shoes" or next year's yard shoes because they all are destroyed by my old brace plus my former rolling me ankle in severely. I really had a rough time with my slippers. I loved them and the brand had apparently gotten more popular since I got the original pair. I tried a lot of other brands and finaly spent the extra $15 to get the kind I wanted. But even for someone who doesn't care much about shoes it's hard to have gotten rid of all of them. So I'm sure it is much harder when you do care/aren't psychologically used this. I had a hard time when I was injured at first and had to give up various shoes that were not supportive enough; my sister got a payday but I hated giving up my work shoes and exchanging them for sneakers and eventually other shoes I liked but that just weren't as good as sneakers. Eventually I went all sneakers all the time. I'll be glad next winter to not be in a brace and be able to get whatever I want.

Closed Thread