It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Calcaneus osteotomy after Calcaneus malunion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
    morrison2
    (male)

morrison2 HB User
    Calcaneus osteotomy after Calcaneus malunion

Hey guys!

Did anyone have to go on calcaneus osteotomy after calcaneus fracture?

I broke my calcaneus year ago and my surgeon is thinking that this procedure would help me to get rid of my pain from the lateral side od foot (probably peroneal tendon).
    My foot is in valgus position and have flat foot.

Please, if anyone was in similar position, please let me hear your story!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2015, 05:07 AM   #2
    freespirit9043
    (female)

freespirit9043 HB User
    Re: Calcaneus osteotomy after Calcaneus malunion

Hi Morrison2

I had a calcaneal osteotomy 2 weeks today for hindfoot valgus and lateral side foot pain. I fractured my calcaneus from a fall rock climbing last August. It was a sanders IV severely comminuted in several pieces. The surgeon I saw that at time decided to leave my heel and not operate. However when the plaster cast came off I had severe valgus and got a second opinion. The second surgeon I saw decided to operate, although it was one month post fracture.

Anyway to cut a long story short, it all healed well but I was still left with severe hind foot valgus. Over the months walking become more painful even with a custom made orthotic (which was very rigid and uncomfortable) So on the 25/2/15 I went ahead with surgery to try and correct it. I had the cast and stitches out on Monday this week and although it does look better than before the surgeon has said it is still 5mm under corrected. As you can imagine I was pretty gutted. He has said we need to wait till I am walking again to see whether I still need an orthotic (I suspect I will as it still looks wonky) and whether the pain is better.

I think if you do decide to go ahead with the procedure ensure the surgeon knows exactly how much the heel needs to be moved by. I did ask before surgery and the surgeon seemed confident that he would be able to get it into the right position but after surgery he said that surgery hadn't been as straightforward as expected.

I can post some pictures of before and after, once I have figured out how to do it! I have only joined the board today after I saw your post. I would be happy to update you on how the pain is once I am walking again, Hope to be cleared for PWB in 4 weeks.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by mod85; 03-11-2015 at 08:13 PM.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:00 AM   #3
    bellatrix1
    (female)

bellatrix1 HB Userbellatrix1 HB Userbellatrix1 HB Userbellatrix1 HB Userbellatrix1 HB User

Hi Freespirit, so sorry to hear of your experience! Do keep posting, I hope it all turns out ok.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:51 AM   #4
    freespirit9043
    (female)

freespirit9043 HB User

Thank you I will. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: freespirit9043
    bellatrix1 (03-12-2015),morrison2 (05-27-2015)
    Old 05-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #5
    morrison2
    (male)

morrison2 HB User

Hey freespirit, thank you very much on your reply!

I hope you feel better now, although surgeon didn't put it perfectly in position.
    Can you please update on your recovery?

I'm facing identical procedure in month or two.
    I broke my calcaneus almost 2 years ago, had minor surgery (Haglund syndrom) back in september 2014 but I was left with pain on the outside of the foot so it is considered that I have to go on medial calcaneus osteotomy.
    I have multiple opinions but not all surgeons agreed on calcaneus osteotomy, one said that simple proximal medial gastrocnemius release can solve my valgus problem.
    I really don't know what to do or what to think.

Best of luck on your recovery road!

Old 01-11-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
    toni41
    (male)

toni41 HB User

Morrison 2 , would be great to know which treatment you have opted.I am also experiencing a malunion calcaneus fractures and eventually will have to make a choice.
    Freespirit, how is going your recovery

Old 02-27-2016, 12:49 AM   #7
    morrison2
    (male)

morrison2 HB User

Hey toni 41,

I had calcaneal osteotomy but not classical slide but it was modified for my needs.
    To be precise, they took part od my bone from lateral side of the calcaneus and used it to lift my cartilage in subtalar joint so the cut was not done throughout the whole calcaneus. Everything was fixed with plate and 7 screws.

I am now 12 week post op. Still walking with both of my crutches and with 30 - 40 kg pressure.

Closed Thread

Tags
    calcaneal osteotomy, calcaneus fracture