It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Question about cam boot

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
    ankle problems
    (female)

ankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB User
    Question about cam boot

Hi all

I have a question- I am supposed to use wear the cam boot all the time for the next 2 weeks. But the bandage is only around my feet and ankle- so my calf and all are very itchy. I take it out from time to time to put lotion, but it hurts to stay without the boot on.

Last time around I had a bandage that went all the way up to my knee so this was never an issue.

Any tips or suggestions?
    6/12/2006- Modified Brostrom (left ankle)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2015, 04:12 PM   #2
    wants to walk
    (female)

wants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB User
    Re: Question about cam boot

Can you lotion up and then put on a tall knee sock over top? Or maybe even cut the foot off a tall sock and slide it on. I used to wear a long compression sock physio gave me for mine, even though it was summer and hot out. It helped as my leg would sweat inside the aircast. It provided some comfort.

The Following User Says Thank You to wants to walk For This Useful Post:
    ankle problems (01-14-2015)
    Old 01-13-2015, 01:02 AM   #3
    JustMeJen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB User

I bought men's athletic socks that are supposed to go up to the knee on men which was plenty high enough to reach the top of my boot. I don't know if you could do that and then top it off with the bandage.

Alternatively can you just wrap the whole leg in gauze or use a 2nd compression bandage or whatever the bandage that is itching is? Have you tried using powder instead of lotion to see if maybe you are sweating and the itching is from that and maybe powder would absorb the itch? They also make a foam roll that you can put under Ace wraps or athletic taping to keep it from pulling skin off. You can get it in drugstores. Maybe reducing the contact with your skin would help?

I have to admit that I have never managed to not be itchy with a compression bandage on my ankle but I haven't tried hard either. Hope something works, it's miserable.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
    ankle problems
    (female)

ankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB Userankle problems HB User

Thanks JustMeJen- Thats a great idea-I took gauze and rolled it all the way up my cast. Helps a lot! :-)
    It has been incredibly annoying- my skin is so dry there. Ugh! Can't wait- another week till the boot is off!

Old 01-13-2015, 04:25 PM   #5
    JustMeJen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB User

Glad it helped. My final hard cast was like that; after 10 weeks my skin had just had it and it was itchy and uncomfortable all the time. I was desperate to get it off for the last week it was on because the dead skin had built up and was causing pain where it pressed on my skin. It felt so good to soak all that off. I didn't have trouble with the boot but I didn't have any dressing and wore those huge socks and my boot was a fairly nice model with nice fabric that made it more comfortable to the skin that my prior boot experience. I went back to have issues when I got my brace because it pushed on my incision and I had to figure out how to creatively pad the incision without making the brace not fit properly. That was annoying.

Congratulations on getting the boot off! That's a big milestone!

Old 01-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #6
    ankle problems
    (female)

Yes when I had Brostrom surgery, I used to soak then use a wet towel to wipe out the dead skin.

Yes cast coming off is big! this time around, I was told it will be 2 weeks in the boot- not sure if after that I am free or whether it will be another cast.

I thought this surgery was going to be far less minor compared to Brostrom. But pain-wise it seems just as much, which is a surprise!

Old 01-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #7
    JustMeJen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

What do they do for the tendonoscopy? Did they just do a small incision and explore it or was it done with the scope? That's not something I've heard of before.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:47 PM   #8
    ankle problems
    (female)

Let me tell u what the history was briefly: I had Brostrom in Mar 2013, when I was on the cam boot, I fell on crutches and injured my knee- I ended up injuring my nerve- so I had to stop all PT. I had knee surgery in Feb 2014 and finally resumed PT. But my ankle was too weak I guess- so I twisted it a bunch of times. After ultrasound, Xray, MRI, 2 cortisone shots- we finally figured out my scar tissue had built up and was pushing up against the tendon.
    So the idea was make an incision and investigate if tendon is damaged, and remove the scar. But during surgery, the realized my reconstructed ligament has thickened so that had to be shaved and they found some membrane growth- these were all also addressed. Also, to promote healing we tried this experimental injection-platelet rich protein- they take your blood and add collagen and plasma to promote healing.

Somehow my last 2 surgeries have been one of a kind surgery that is not in any book so I have nothing to go by in terms of recovery!

Sigh! Thanks for listening to my story :-)

Old 01-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #9
    ankle problems
    (female)

JustMeJen- how is your recovery going? Are you still in PT?

Old 01-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #10
    JustMeJen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I had knee surgery that was pretty much everyone's best guess what to do when I was 17. It wasn't easy to not have anyone tell me "this is what to expect". And in fact I then surprised myself and everyone else when I started walking down steps alternating my feet and my knee gave out and I bounced down the stairs in the high school cafeteria, which was located in the middle of my school, right during class change. It was great. So then I went back on crutches and a brace for a while and strangly nobody at school asked what happened.....That was before the internet so we didn't expect to know as much as we do now but I remember it was so hard to have the dr not know the outcome or how long it would take. He knew what would happen and approximately how long but nobody had seen this procedure done this way so it was a learning experience for all.

I'm sorry your Brostrom experience was so bad. I slipped with crutches while wearing my night splint soon after I got out of the casts and terrified myself by coming down with all my weight on the post-op ankle. I was very fortunate that it was fine, just swollen and sore for a few days. What happened to you is the nightmare I had for months until I knew my ankle could handle some challenges. My knee that had surgery twice is on the same side (ankle injury was from a fracture that was undiagnosed after some girl shoved me in a cross country meet; I didn't have a clue about the fracture and ran on it 2 days later. Before the fracture had time to heal I started training for a half-marathon and the ankle gave out and I tore up my knee without ever knowing it was my ankle's fault until the old fracture showed up on xrays 20 years later.) So that worried me as well but it turned out to be fine.

HOpefully this time they have you really well fixed up and this is over and you can finally heal. You've been through a lot.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #11
    JustMeJen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ankle problems View Post
    JustMeJen- how is your recovery going? Are you still in PT?
    I'm finally doing great. I finished PT 3 weeks ago (although I need to go back eventually for some fine-tuning without the brace) and today is 7 months. At this point my only issue is boredom because I don't want to risk going out on snow and ice and we've had a good bit of that lately. I'm still doing exercises at home, mostly balance and working on my ankle correcting itself when the muscles are really fatigued rather than dumping me on my butt. I'm seeing progress still although I've had to take several days off because I got caught up in a movie and did exercises for too long the other day and caused some inflammation. But otherwise I'm barely limping now for the first time in 5 years, when it isn't icy I'm allowed to not wear my brace (I think I've gotten to go out about once without it since I was told that) and I'm looking forward to being able to do things this spring and summer, making up for last year when I was pretty well immobilzied either waiting for surgery with injuries or after surgery on bedrest.

It's a good feeling to finally get here. Hope it is soon for you.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:12 PM   #12
    ankle problems
    (female)

Wow we both could be frequent flyers for orthopedic hospitals
    That's great for you! With my left ankle Brostrom, I did that 7 years ago- there was some activity related inflammation for 1-2 years after finishing PT. So don't worry too much about it-I used to ice it and continue. And it hasn't bothered me at all.

Thanks for your wishes! :-)

Old 01-13-2015, 05:23 PM   #13
    JustMeJen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks. I seem to have a built in reminder with the inflammation; if my peroneals start clicking (the dr warned me about this or I'd be running to him) or if they are tight and I can't push my heel down to the floor without pain then I take some time off. This time I did exercises for twice as long as usual and I was doing some hard ones so I truly overdid. But I wondered how long that would last so it's good to know that it does go on for some time. I found out what a difference the inflammation makes when I was in PT. In early-mid Nov. the PT expected me to be in PT through mid-late January. Then I got sick at Thanksgiving and with the holiday missed 12 days of PT and didn't do a ton at home. Which I thought was going to be bad. But instead I got better really fast after that and it seems that my being sick let the inflammation settle down which made PT go better. I was done I think 3 weeks later. Quite a surprise but a nice one. I had PT last spring after I tore everything again until my AFTL ruptured during a stretch in a session, home PT to help me with stairs so I could go to dr appointments post-op and then 4 plus months of therapy after my casts came off so I've had enough therapy this year that if I go back by April I'll have been in 6/12 months. Not a record I care to repeat ever.

Are you doing therapy yet?

Old 01-13-2015, 05:30 PM   #14
    ankle problems
    (female)

Yes peroneals clicking is a bad sign- symptom of my problem now. Yes one retrospective lesson for me is knowing when to stop- every time I twisted my ankle or it was swollen, it was because the day before I really pushed it-so your story resonates with me. That is the challenge really with ankle stuff- I always miss being outdoors- so on a day where pain is manageable or it is a nice day, then I want to keep walking. And then around mile 4, all the symptoms start.

No PT yet- can't start till they remove boot and tell me what it looks like. Since they added on more things to my surgery, the doctor just wants me to go easy. On 22nd, if everything looks good, then I am hoping to start. I can't wait!

Old 01-13-2015, 08:05 PM   #15
    JustMeJen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, they really should bill ankle/foot surgeries as "The best way to learn patience". I never dreamed it would take nearly 7 months to get to the place I am walking well or that I would happily restrict myself to inside all winter to avoid the risk of falls on ice. After my grade III sprain after I got out of the boot I kept slipping and falling on ice and eventually (after 2 or 3 falls) my doctor put me back in either the boot or stirrup brace until things melted because he was concerned.

So you have clicking but they didn't find any tearing? Or did they prioritize the ligament repairs and *** injections?

Fortunately for me the clicking peroneals don't mean much. Apparently they congenitally don't fit in the groove all that well and when they are swollen they are not going to fit. He said I can also have clicking in the wrong position when they are not inflamed. Which I have to get used to; even heard rarely it is not a pretty noise and I don't like remembering the months before surgery when first I re-tore them (probably for the many-eth time and then by the time i had surgery they had scarred together but the scar tissue kept them out of position and they frequently would tear or it would get more inflamed and the clicking would worsen and I'd fall yet again. The day I saw my ortho I had fallen 2 or 3 times in the prior week, including down the stairs while carrying my laptop which smacked me in the mouth on the way down breaking my tooth and apparently I tore my AFTL more during that fall because it ruptured in my next PT session, a noise that made the PT and I just look at each other and say "enough". I'll never forget that noise and I doubt he will either.

Closed Thread

Tags
    arthoscopic, debridement, itchy