It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Flat feet surgery, can you give me some advice?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
    MessyFeet
    (female)

MessyFeet HB User
    Question Flat feet surgery, can you give me some advice?

Hello guys, I'm scheduled to have surgery for correction of my flat feet soon (the pain was simply becoming unbearable ). I would like to know more about the recovery process, if it was too painful, how long until you were able to put weight on the operated foot, and how long it took to be at 100% (no the 100% for doing sports or running, just the 100% for doing average stuff, like walking from my workplace to a eating place or just have a nice time with the family in a park)

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2015, 10:23 AM   #2
    Justintime44
    Veteran
    (female)

Justintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB User
    Re: Flat feet surgery, can you give me some advice?

Do you know the specific details of which procedures your surgeon is performing? Your recovery may depend, in part, on how many and what types of procedures you are having done. Some have tendons moved or have debridement, some have their ankle bone cut and moved, some have bones fused such as talonavicular fusion. Many also have either gastrocnemius recession or lengthening of the Achilles tendon with other procedures.

You will want to fully understand which procedures are being done, what medications your doctor is prescribing to manage the pain, and what he or she predicts for your recovery. You will want to carefully read the post at the top of the foot board that helps you prepare for being nonweightbearing. The more you know and the better you prepare yourself, the better you will do. Also, your level of physical activity, physical fitness, age, and other health factors will impact how long it may take to fully recover.

Having said all that, this is a long process. This is a difficult surgery with a long recovery. You may be nonweightbearing for 6-12 weeks where you cannot put any weight on your operated foot. The first few days and two weeks may be the most challenging, as you are recovering from having had anesthesia and having had a very invasive surgery. You will want someone to take care of you, cook, clean, and shop for you for a while, depending on your recovery. You may have physical therapy while you are still in a cast and definitely when you get out of a cast. You may transition to a CAM boot and start gradual partial weight bearing, starting with 10-25%. It may take you two weeks or two months or so to be able to be 100% weight bearing, but this is for short steps and walking. Many can walk very short distances at 4 weeks. The whole process to full recovery may take one year or more.

Each person progresses differently. Your current health, age, and level of activity will interplay with your recovery. I am just over six months out, after having had talonavicular fusion and Achilles lengthening surgery. Although I have an outstanding surgeon who did an amazing job, he did not well prepare me or inform me of what the recovery would be like. I was told I may be out from work for 2 weeks to 3 months, and that the full recovery would take a year. He said I would experience different types of pai along the way as I recovered. THat's just the tip of the iceberg. I was in bed with my foot elevated above my heart for six weeks straight, due to pain and swelling. I continued to be mostly in bed with my foot elevated for the next three weeks. I started working from home via computer at six weeks, but I was not physically able to return to work for over four months.

It is a long journey. I am doing so much better know. At five months I could finally walk short steps. At six months, I can walk over 100 steps. Ultimately, I definitely think it is worth it to go through this process to get better. I remember feeling as you do now, that you have to do it. And you do, to get better. I just want you to be prepared for this journey. There are many wonderful, supportive, informative people on this board. Please continue to post your questions and concerns along the way.

I wish you well in your preparation, surgery, and recovery.

K

May 2016 - Tarsal Tunnel Release surgery
    July 2014 - Talonavicular Fusion and Achilles Tendon Lengthening, same foot

Old 01-31-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User
    Re: Flat feet surgery, can you give me some advice?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MessyFeet View Post
    Hello guys, I'm scheduled to have surgery for correction of my flat feet soon (the pain was simply becoming unbearable ). I would like to know more about the recovery process, if it was too painful, how long until you were able to put weight on the operated foot, and how long it took to be at 100% (no the 100% for doing sports or running, just the 100% for doing average stuff, like walking from my workplace to a eating place or just have a nice time with the family in a park)

Thank you
    Is it necessary that you have the surgery? I ask because my feet were so flat, at one time, that they rolled in, but I have had a personal trainer who worked and worked on them and I, now, have nice arches. Flat feet, GENERALLY are due to weak hips, which, in turn make the legs weak as well as the feet. If you can get someone to strengthen those muscles, you may find that may get away without the surgery. I also had very, very weak ankles and the list goes on. Yoga is also very, very good for strengthening your muscles. I had horrible bunions years ago and had them taken care of by an ortho man, but, lo and behold, one started coming back. Had I known years ago what I have since learned about strengthening, I never would have had the surgery and the bunion that was coming back is no longer there, due to strengthening of the muscles. If you do have to have the surgery, I wish you good luck.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:27 PM   #4
    Twinkley Toes
    (female)

Twinkley Toes HB User
    Hi Messy Feet. If you are in the US you might have a different set of protocols but this is what has happened with me so far. I was in a half cast for the first two weeks. Total non weight bearing. I thought this would be really hard but I was fine. I think I was well prepared. During this time I took pain meds for probably the first week whenever due then was quickly off them about halfway through the second week. I did not experience a lot of pain at any stage after my pttd surgery. It was all very manageable and the drugs worked well with little or no drowsiness. Then I was in a boot at two weeks and began partial weight bearing until at 6 weeks I was fully weight bearing. I did not find this process overly painful. I just took it easy. I am now 3 months post op. I would say that probably at two months I was able to easily go out and do things, but I started going out at about 3 weeks post op. But I still have a lot of limitations because of my foot. I have limited range and muscle weakness. At my 3 month appointment the surgeon said I was as good as he could possibly hope at the 3 month mark but I still have a long way to go. I can walk around the shops for an hour or so and I have just started back at work two weeks ago. At night I am certainly happy to sit and put my foot up but not so much that I need pain meds. It is important to know that I have no other underlying heath issues and that I am probably fitter and stronger than average. Also every single instruction/exercise/protocol I follow religiously. I really want my foot back. For me, the worst part of the operation so far has been making the decision to have it and then worrying about the operation leading up to it. I found that time really awful. I hope this helps. I had a calcaneal ostotemy , bone graft ( from my heal bone) Achilles lengthening, major spring ligament repair and tendon transfer from my toes to my post rob tendon.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:31 PM   #5
    Twinkley Toes
    (female)

Twinkley Toes HB User
    Oops. My post tib tendon!

Closed Thread

Tags
    feet pain, recovery expectation, surgery recovery