It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• post surgery toe numbness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2015, 06:57 AM   #1
    flatfootnomore
    (female)

flatfootnomore HB User
    post surgery toe numbness

I had flat foot reconstruction 6-1/2 weeks ago (tendon transfer to replace ptt, cancaneal osteotomy). I had the cast taken off four days ago but am still non-weight bearing for two weeks with an air cast. I have two questions.
    1. I'm supposed to wear compression socks or an ace bandage - I find that they push the swelling to my toes which start to hurt. anyone else have this issue?
    2. my two smallest toes cannot feel anything. I can move them but they are numb. I see other posts about some numbness that does resolve, just wondering if others have had it just with the two smallest toes and how long did it take to resolve?
    Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2015, 12:08 PM   #2
    JustMeJen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB User
    Re: post surgery toe numbness

When you wrap with the ace wrap try starting at the toe area and make that area slightly tighter and then let it loosen just a little as you go up. You should be able to get 2 fingers under each end of the wrap easily. This can help push the swelling up. Are you still elevating and icing? That will help too.

The numb toes are normal and the last 2 toes I think are the commonly affected ones. They have a different nerve (the sural nerve) than most of the foot and it often is disturbed during surgery. It takes a while sometimes for that to regulate itself.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
    flatfootnomore
    (female)

flatfootnomore HB User
    Re: post surgery toe numbness

Thank you JustMeJen - I am not hugely bothered by the numbness was more curious about it, glad to hear there is a medical reason for it!

Closed Thread

Tags
    calcaneal osteotomy, flat foot reconstruction, numb feet, posterior tibial tendon surgery