It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• PTT and Deltoid Ligament Surgery Coming Up - Nervous!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2015, 07:55 AM   #1
    LillyRose44
    (female)

LillyRose44 HB User
    PTT and Deltoid Ligament Surgery Coming Up - Nervous!

I developed left ankle pain over the course of the last year after I started running. I had ankle pain early on but was stubborn and didn't really rest it. The good news is I completed my first half marathon last November. The bad news is I will probably never fulfill my dream of running a full marathon. I saw orthopedics last week and was diagnosed with posterior tibialis tendon rupture, valgus and a partial deltoid ligament tear.

I'd love to get input on people's experiences with these surgeries post-op:

FDL tendon transfer
    Calcaneal osteotomy
    Deltoid reconstruction

I'm also concerned that I may not be taking enough time off work - currently I'm off for two weeks and then will probably be on "desk duty" until I am off NWB status (I'm a nurse in an occupational medicine clinic). Anything you could share about this and what to expect after surgery would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2015, 07:28 PM   #2
    bellatrix1
    (female)

bellatrix1 HB Userbellatrix1 HB Userbellatrix1 HB Userbellatrix1 HB Userbellatrix1 HB User
    Re: PTT and Deltoid Ligament Surgery Coming Up - Nervous!

Hi LillyRose, there is a lot of great info on this board about the surgery you are planning, you have come to the right place! I think you are very likely right that you will end up needing to take more time off work. I went back to work much more quickly than most (desk job working from home) and here was my schedule:

First week after surgery: completely off work, definitely not able to work
    Second week: 1-4 hours per day of work, from bed with foot elevated
    Third week: Back to full-time work, but mostly still from bed with foot elevated

My fourth week is coming up, and I am planning to go into the office a time or two, but not for a full day. I can sit up now for 2-3 hours, but that is about the limit. And like I said, I seem to be healing more quickly than many or most.

Do read all of the threads on how to prep for the non-weight-bearing time, very very helpful info there. I am so happy that I did the prep as they advised (shower stool, knee scooter, etc.)

Good luck!!

24 Feb 2015: FDL transfer, calcaneal osteotomy, bone spur removal

Old 03-15-2015, 07:58 PM   #3
    LillyRose44
    (female)

LillyRose44 HB User

Thanks so much for your reply Bellatrix1!

Old 04-26-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
    mel g
    (female)

mel g HB Usermel g HB Usermel g HB Usermel g HB User

Hi! I am about to have this surgery in two weeks. I am wondering how you both are doing and where you had your surgery done. I see one of you is in San diego. I am also in California.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:33 AM   #5
    LillyRose44
    (female)

LillyRose44 HB User

Mel G - I am doing really well. I had my surgery done in Oklahoma City. I had pain the first week but have used minimal pain meds since then. I was fortunate to have an awesome husband and daughter to help me, so I was able to pretty much lay in bed with my foot above my heart for two weeks. I also applied ice (frozen vegetables) to my ankle and behind my knee, 30 minutes on/30 minutes off for most of my waking hours. I got my stitches out at 2 weeks and then had a cast put on. I returned to work the day after, but on desk duty ( I'm a nurse). I used a wheelchair with my leg elevated for the last two weeks but am switching to a knee walker at work today, sitting in a regular office chair. My biggest problem has been with swelling but that seems to be improving. I should get my cast off in 2-3 weeks and then move into a boot. I have some worries about the pain I may have when I switch to the boot and start partial weight bearing so I've been saving my pain meds in case that's an issue. Being non weight bearing on that foot has been a pretty big challenge for me but overall I've been pleased with how my recovery is going. 😊

Closed Thread

Tags
    calcaneal osteotomy, deltoid, posterior tibial tendon surgery, tendon transfer