It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

Gallbladder vs. Acid Reflux

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #1
asherwani12
(female)

asherwani12 HB User
Question Gallbladder vs. Acid Reflux

Ok I'll try to make this short...

About 1.5 months ago I had the following symptoms that lasted 2 weeks:
-pain in the middle of my upper abdomen and a little bit towards the left. This pain came every day at around 10:30 pm and sometimes in the morning. Lasted about an hour or two.
-back pain: lower and shoulder blades (only sometimes)
-chest pain, sometimes sharp, sometimes just some tightness and discomfort
-lots of burping, gases
-nasusea, vomited a few times
-increased heart rate during other symptoms

-went to the ER twice, ultrasound and CT scans came out clear. They suspected I may have an ulcer and gave me protonix which I took for about 5 days. Did't seem to help.
-Hida scan ejection fraction : 32%, gastroenterologist didn't seem convinced, and my symptoms had gone away so he just basically closed the case.

Now:
-Ive been having a lot of discomfort in my stomach, not really pain, just a lot of tightness and feeling bloated all the time. Today I felt nauseous and sick while having dinner.
-been having some acid come up, it was really bad one night.
-a lot of back pain, like 2x a day.
-heart rate increases, feeling out of breath
-symptoms occur soon after the meal, not so much a few hours later like they were before, and Im not feeling that excruciating pain anymore that had me lying in fetal position with a heat pad.

Going to see a doctor soon. I'm convinced I have acid reflux problems, but is it 100% the case? I was sure I had gallbladder issues before but now Im very confused. Which one could it be, or do you think both? Should I ask my doctor to get an endoscopy done, and if so, can a sick gallbladder be seen with that?

Both problems are in my family. My father and uncle have hiatal hernias and 2 of my aunts have had their gallbladder removed. I'm 18 years years old, if that matters.

Thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2016, 10:16 PM   #2
Petal29
(female)

Petal29 HB User
Re: Gallbladder vs. Acid Reflux

Hi,

I was in agony with similar pain to yourself plus lots of acid reflux. I was back and forth to my doctor during this time and she gave me all sorts of tablets to try and sort out the problem. No amount of pain killers would touch the pain when it came - which was usually early morning. I would be doubled up with a hot water bottle on my right side but the pain was also in my shoulder blades and my stomach. The pain started off happening about once a month, then once a week and finally every night/day. I finally changed my doctor and he sent me straight for an ultrasound - the result of which was that it showed I had a row of gallstones in my gallbladder. The only option was surgery, which I had last year. They found fourteen stones in my gallbladder and apparently it was in a pretty bad way - the surgeon said that if we had left it much longer I would have been in serious trouble. I recovered from the surgery pretty quickly and the pain had disappeared, however, that was last year! At present I am still having to contend with very bad acid reflux, even though I take tablets regularly and I still get pain in the gallbladder area and pancreas. I have changed my diet completely (I was a very healthy eater previously) to gluten and lactose free as my doctor said that this would help - it hasn't. My doctor has said that it is probably bile ducts or something else that would need a complicated operation - which I do not want. I have heard that magnesium deficiency can cause this problem so I am now trying this route. I know this is probably not much help to you but before you go down the route of gallbladder op, please try other things first as I can tell you this option does not work (only to remove the stones). By the way, we have a family history of gallstones and my mother and brother have both had theirs removed and both still suffer from acid reflux (although they don't have the pain anymore).

Old 03-21-2016, 09:29 PM   #3
jacqueline7599
(female)

jacqueline7599 HB User

I had same issues. I have acid reflux and hiatal hernia. I had my gallbladder out also but that was the back pain. The hiatal hernia caused the chest pain, tightness, burping, gases, nausea. Vomiting was from my acid reflux and hiatal hernia. It took me 22 yrs to get them to do the scope to see that I have hiatal hernia!! Acid reflux a Dr took 16 yrs for a Dr to listen and put me on something. Ridiculous!!! I'm on nexium and Pepcid ac now. I was taking nexium already for the acid reflux and I started the Pepcid ac once the hiatal hernia was diagnosed.
You need a stomach scope and I would tell the Dr you want one done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherwani12 View Post
Ok I'll try to make this short...

About 1.5 months ago I had the following symptoms that lasted 2 weeks:
-pain in the middle of my upper abdomen and a little bit towards the left. This pain came every day at around 10:30 pm and sometimes in the morning. Lasted about an hour or two.
-back pain: lower and shoulder blades (only sometimes)
-chest pain, sometimes sharp, sometimes just some tightness and discomfort
-lots of burping, gases
-nasusea, vomited a few times
-increased heart rate during other symptoms

-went to the ER twice, ultrasound and CT scans came out clear. They suspected I may have an ulcer and gave me protonix which I took for about 5 days. Did't seem to help.
-Hida scan ejection fraction : 32%, gastroenterologist didn't seem convinced, and my symptoms had gone away so he just basically closed the case.

Now:
-Ive been having a lot of discomfort in my stomach, not really pain, just a lot of tightness and feeling bloated all the time. Today I felt nauseous and sick while having dinner.
-been having some acid come up, it was really bad one night.
-a lot of back pain, like 2x a day.
-heart rate increases, feeling out of breath
-symptoms occur soon after the meal, not so much a few hours later like they were before, and Im not feeling that excruciating pain anymore that had me lying in fetal position with a heat pad.

Going to see a doctor soon. I'm convinced I have acid reflux problems, but is it 100% the case? I was sure I had gallbladder issues before but now Im very confused. Which one could it be, or do you think both? Should I ask my doctor to get an endoscopy done, and if so, can a sick gallbladder be seen with that?

Both problems are in my family. My father and uncle have hiatal hernias and 2 of my aunts have had their gallbladder removed. I'm 18 years years old, if that matters.

Thank you!!

Old 03-22-2016, 05:11 AM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Below 35% on the HIDA is grounds for removal. I'd go see a surgeon and have it out.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:10 PM   #5
rainbowsrock
Senior Veteran
(female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

Sounds like you need endoscopy....your stomach problems sound like the ones I had when I had Gastritis/Duodenitis. I was given a PPI to heal the damage, which I have now weaned off from
Endoscopy would also diagnose stomach ulcers and damage to the oesophagus

I had my gallbladder removed, the pain was worse under my right ribs....going around to the back, but I did have a lot of discomfort on the left where food was laying in my stomach, undigested

I couldn't keep my gallbladder, and you may not be able to too, but my acid/bile reflux became worse after its removal
To stay off PPI'S I have to be ultra careful with food. And Gaviscon Advance is my best friend

Good luck

Closed Thread

Tags
acid reflux, gallbladder attack, gallbladder experiences, gerd, hiatal hernia