It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Unbearable Pain Years after Gallbladder Removal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-14-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
    SomethingCool
    (male)

SomethingCool HB User
    Angry Unbearable Pain Years after Gallbladder Removal

I have had my Gallbladder out for about 4 years now. I am 18 years old and got it removed when I was 14 because of a stone. I've had this pain ever since the removal and I've have been to 2 or 3 doctors trying to figure out what it is only to leave knowing little more than I did before. I even had another surgery where they looked at the place the Gallbladder was with a camera and still didn't know what was causing the pain. I have resulted to this because it is getting worse. The pain has been the same ever since the surgery but it is happening more often. I can handle the pain now because I am so used to it after dealing with it for so long.
    All I know about it is the pain is caused when I eat certain foods, eat too much food, don't eat enough food(If I haven't eaten for the day and my stomach starts to grumble it sometimes causes it), or drink alcohol. There are some other causes as well but these are the bigs ones.
    I can feel the pain starting to come on like it is swelling up from my stomach and gets worse and worse to the point I am laying down clutching my stomach in agony. Soon after the pain peaks it quickly goes away and I continue my day.
    Knowing that certain foods cause it, I have cut a lot of things out of my diet including dairy, any kind of greasy foods(Although I occasionally splurge although I know it will cause the pain), and carbonated drinks.
    The only things that I have found help with the pain are antacids(tums) or things that are hot that I put on my stomach. I use a heat pad but if I am out and about I'll use anything including soaking a paper towel in hot water in a public restroom just to hold on my stomach.
    I am posting this because, as I stated before, the pain is coming more and more often and I am currently eating nothing but scrambled eggs 3-5 times a day because they seem like they are the only food that don't cause the pain.
    Any incite or help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2016, 06:46 AM   #2
    cm1108
    (female)

cm1108 HB User
    Re: Unbearable Pain Years after Gallbladder Removal

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to be of much help, but I'll try anyways! I'm assuming the pain is on your right side where your gallbladder used to be since you said you have had another surgery in that area? You talk about your stomach a lot so I want to make sure that's the right place. Did you have pain due to your stone before the surgery? If so, is it the same pain or different? Are you having any other symptoms? Fever, chills, diarrhea, heartburn?

I had my gallbladder out about 3-1/2 weeks ago and I know immediately after surgery that I would sometimes get a pressure in my upper abdomen that would build up quickly, dissipate just as fast and then the area would gurgle so I assumed it was air/food moving around in there. Is it anything like this? I started taking a probiotic daily and it went away.

I haven't done much research into myself and I don't want to freak you out suggesting things that it may or may not be, but I've read a lot of people who still had pain after their surgery. They sometimes end up being diagnosed with SOD (Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction) where it's the actual opening of the duct (I believe) that is causing the pain. It's not curable unfortunately, but there are drugs that you can take before you eat (antispasmodics I think) that help prevent this from happening. Something to look into if there is nothing else that helps.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:21 AM   #3
    K8D
    (female)

K8D HB User
    Re: Unbearable Pain Years after Gallbladder Removal

Hey �� hope this finds you feeling ok and hopefully your Drs have figured something out...
    Wondering if the procedure you had done was ERCP or another laparoscopy?
    ERCP is a camera that checks out your bile and pancreatic ducts to make sure there's nothing blocking them, like another stone(s) or sludge. They wouldn't been seen by a laparoscopy.
    Pain in the ducts can feel exactly like gall stone pain which is what you've described. It sounds pretty hectic for you. Anyway, ive had a lot of my own issues since my surgery and have read a lot of stories; ERCP seems to have helped a lot of people experiencing gall bladder pain with no gall bladder. I really hope you're doing a bit better and that you get some help to sort this out. Take care

Closed Thread

Tags
    gall bladder pain, gallbladder pain on right and left side, gallbladder removal, sharp pain