It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Scared about pain after gallbladder surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2016, 04:16 PM   #1
    Lbd781
    (female)

Lbd781 HB User
    Scared about pain after gallbladder surgery

I will be having my gallbladder removed next week. I'm really afraid of the pain afterwards. Will they give me something stronger than Tylenol to take home with me for pain? Isn't gallbladder surgery considered a major surgery? I'll be having the robotic one incision over my belly button.

The following user gives a hug of support to Lbd781:
    cm1108 (11-29-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2016, 05:03 PM   #2
    cm1108
    (female)

cm1108 HB User
    Re: Scared about pain after gallbladder surgery

Yes, it is considered a major surgery, albeit an easy and quick recovering one. I had it done 5+ weeks ago now - Surgery on a Thursday and up and walking almost like normal by Monday. I remember waking up after the surgery and they asked how much pain I was in. I honestly don't remember but I know I said 5-6 and I was asleep again. I was in no pain after I woke up again and no pain until the next morning (had my surgery around 3pm). They did give me pain killers but I never needed to take them. The surgical incisions weren't painful at all - what hurt the most for me was the sore throat from the breathing tube and the gas pains in my shoulders. I'm NOT telling you to NOT take the pills they give you - as my surgeon said - don't be a hero!! Take them if you need them. I was fine on 3 Advil every 6 hours but I have a high pain tolerance. I don't want to freak you out either because not everyone gets a sore throat!! But make sure to drink plenty of fluids as the prescribed meds may constipate you. Make sure you have a stool softener on hand as it may be needed (NOT a laxative). And get up and walk when you can and move your arms around - it helps get rid of the excess gas that will cause you pain.

In retrospect, it was honestly just a quick and easy surgery. I still can't believe I even had it. 3 days of pain compared to any other surgery seems like a cake walk to me now. Good luck with they surgery and I hope for a speedy recovery for you! I know that I was freaking out about every little thing even after my surgery, so don't be afraid to come back and ask questions!!

Last edited by cm1108; 11-28-2016 at 05:05 PM.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:09 AM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I was only offwork 2-1/2 days and jogged 2 miles a week after having mine out. You'll be sore but I would not have called it pain per se. I was 59 when I had mine out. When I woke up in ER I knew it was gone as I didn't hurt any more!

Old 11-29-2016, 06:41 PM   #4
    HurdyGurdy
    (male)

HurdyGurdy HB User

They gave me 30 Percocet. It's 5mg of OxyCodone mixed with 325 mg of Tylenol

The pain was nothing compared to an actual gallbladder attack. I took the mere for a few days. Day 2-3 are the worst. It was tough getting in and out of bed.

Last edited by HurdyGurdy; 11-29-2016 at 06:43 PM.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:50 AM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

To get in and out of bed after this, crawl in and out. Seriously, a friend told me this and it really worked. Face the bed and lean over while pulling one knee onto thebed and then the other...literally on your hands and knees and then just kind of collapse over on your side. To get out, face the edge of the bed in a sort of fetal position and sort of roll out. This keeps you from using your abs which is what hurts.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:36 PM   #6
    bret100
    (male)

bret100 HB User

I had mine removed back in June. Surgery was at 8:00am and I was home by 11:15. When I woke up in recovery I had zero pain, just a dry sore throat, which immediately went away as soon as I drank some water. I literally could have went to work that afternoon. By that afternoon I was back to eating with no problems. Only issue I have had since the surgery is about 15 minutes after eating, you better be close to a bathroom. Also, I took no pain meds afterwards, not so much as an aspirin and had no problems.

Last edited by bret100; 11-30-2016 at 03:37 PM.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:35 PM   #7
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

If you eat fat free for 2-3 weeks after having it out, you should be fine with digestive issues.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #8
    Nina46
    (female)

Nina46 HB User

I had mine out last April and i was actually surprised at how painful it was. Getting out of bed was the worst. It's not a simple surgery like everyone claims it to be. However, take your pain killers, do not lift anything and please go easy on the diet for a few weeks. i had horrible bile reflux afterwards, with that being said i am glad i did it no more pain after eating and no more waking to attacks over night... Good luck

Old 12-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #9
    miniguy
    (male)

miniguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB User

I was quite pleasantly surprised after having mine with four tiny incisions. The incisions did sting a bit right after surgery but this went away pretty quickly. Belly a bit sore, but just take it easy and get up and walk around a bit. Did not require any narcotic pain meds after at all. Belly a bit ouchy for a few days after, but I went to a friends retirement dinner a couple of days after surgery. Walked a couple of miles after about three days of taking it easy. There really is no internal pain, just the ouchy belly that gradually goes away, I have had dental pain that is much worse. I found that Tylenol was just fine if needed now and again. I did have nausea for awhile after and they offer meds for it, that I did not take but should have.

Closed Thread

Tags
    gallbladder, medication, pain