It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Should I have my Gallbladder removed if I don't have pain?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #1
    Bigsky23
    (male)

Bigsky23 HB User
    Question Should I have my Gallbladder removed if I don't have pain?

I was recently diagnosed with acute cholecystitis, which I understand it to mean that my gallbladder isnít working. What precipitated this finding was some occasional bouts of severe stomach pains (gall attacks). For the past month and a half I altered my diet to be more gallbladder friendly and I havenít had any attacks or pain. My only symptom is mild bloating and loose stool. Iím struggling to find out why I should have the gallbladder removal surgery (cholecystectomy) when I am seemingly managing the issue. Are there other potential issues or complications I could encounter if I choose to leave my non-functioning gallbladder intact?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Should I have my Gallbladder removed if I don't have pain?

Yes. It needs to come out asap....if you ignore a non functioning gallbaldder, it can rupture, and this is life threatening.

I had mine out in April, had no stones and very little pain...but had thickening of the walls and via a CT scan, they found sludge in it. The surgeon told me when he removed it that it fell apart in his forceps dropping it into the specimen bowl. It was ready to rupture..

You cant ignore this. The surgery is a piece of cake and recovery is very easy, as long as it doesn't rupture first.

Get it out. You don't want the problems which are eventually going to happen.

Good luck!

Old 12-04-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

And I agree. I had 2 friends who died from ruptured gbs and one who narrowly avoided it. This is nothing to ignore.Have it out and be done with it.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:30 AM   #4
    kelleybell
    (female)

kelleybell HB User

I was in the same boat. Had horrible attacks starting last April, then the attacks subsided but I noticed I had fatty/loose stool and just a harder time digesting fats in general. I asked 3 different drs and they all told me the same thing-to get it out. Based on my HIDA scan I had a low functioning gb, and likely it would only get worse over time and affect other organs. I had mine out 2 weeks ago and Iím doing well. I still have the fatty stool (which is super annoying bc I cannot get clean after a bm) but Iím told that should get better over time.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:51 AM   #5
    Jk2
    (female)

Jk2 HB User

How low was you hida scan? If you dont mind me asking.. Mine is 27 and my doctor thinks it isnt causing my probelms

Old 12-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #6
    kelleybell
    (female)

kelleybell HB User

Wow, my HIDA scan was 32 and my GI dr said that my gb was barely working. I guess Iíd say your HIDA scan would definitely indicate gb problems based on what Iíve heard. Maybe get a second opinion.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:38 AM   #7
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Below 35% is considered non functioning. Have it out.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:38 AM   #8
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Jkb,
    If your scan was that low please dont procrastinate! You are at risk for your GB rupturing. It needs to come out. You dont need it, the surgery is a piece of cake. Recovery is less than a week.

Schedule the surgery. You will be so glad you did once it's over and you will wonder why you waited so long!

If it ruptures, it is a whole other ballgame. Instead of laproscopic surgery, they have to do an open procedure. Recovery can take up to a month and you will have a huge scar...not to mention your body can get septic and you will have to deal with infection. The lap surgery is so simple and easy...you can do this!

MSNik

Old 12-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #9
    Jk2
    (female)

Jk2 HB User

[QUOTE=kelleybell;5474212]Wow, my HIDA scan was 32 and my GI dr said that my gb was barely working. I guess Iíd say your HIDA scan would definitely indicate gb problems based on what Iíve heard. Maybe get a second opinion.[/QUO

Did you ever get youíre remove? And if you did how are you doing?

Old 12-25-2017, 12:14 PM   #10
    Jk2
    (female)

Jk2 HB User

Thank yíall in the process of getting a second opinion

Old 12-31-2017, 08:33 AM   #11
    Gregg181
    (male)

Gregg181 HB User

[QUOTE=Bigsky23;5473742]I was recently diagnosed with acute cholecystitis, which I understand it to mean that my gallbladder isnít working. What precipitated this finding was some occasional bouts of severe stomach pains (gall attacks). For the past month and a half I altered my diet to be more gallbladder friendly and I havenít had any attacks or pain. My only symptom is mild bloating and loose stool. Iím struggling to find out why I should have the gallbladder removal surgery (cholecystectomy) when I am seemingly managing the issue. Are there other potential issues or complications I could encounter if I choose to leave my non-functioning gallbladder intact?[/QUOTE

You sound like me. I waited and pancreatitis and was in a coma for a month. Get it out!!!

Reply Reply