It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Gallbladder Removal: Positive Experience

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-10-2018, 07:47 PM   #1
    chutzpah84
    (female)

chutzpah84 HB User
    Talking Gallbladder Removal: Positive Experience

I had my gallbladder out a few weeks ago and would like to detail my whole experience with that here. Before my gallbladder surgery I read tons of stories about life after having the gallbladder out and a lot of them were negative. Lots of people had digestion issues, diarrhea, etc...Maybe I'm one of the lucky few, but my experience with having it out has been great so far. To give some quick background information: I'm a 33 year old female, zero health problems, fairly healthy diet, and not overweight. I started having some pain in my gallbladder about a year ago only after very heavy meals. This past Christmas with all the holiday eating I had an attack that lasted for days and was getting worse. I went to the hospital and it turned out to be a gallstone stuck in my bile duct. They did an ERCP to remove it but made plans to remove my gallbladder a few weeks later. Fast forward to that day--The gallbladder removal surgery itself went smoothly. They started at 10, were done by 11, I woke up from anesthesia around 12:30 and was home by 2. My pain was not too, too bad. Getting up or changing my sleeping position had to be done very slowly. They gave me a very low dose of oxycodone just for the week but I suprisingly didn't really need it. Two days after my surgery I even felt well enough to leave the house for an hour or so and grab a coffee. I went back to work five days after my surgery (I'm a highschool teacher) but was pretty tired and a bit sore by the end of the day. If you can, a solid week off is ideal. The important part of this story is that I had no gas, diarrhea, or constipation after surgery at all. I ate really lightly the first day or two--tomato soup and crackers for example. A few days later I had a bowl of cereal. I had heard that dairy was problematic for people but that hasn't been an issue for me. A week after surgery I had french fries and ice cream; two weeks post surgery I had Chinese food which is obviously pretty greasy. That was the real hurdle to cross but I've honestly had no digestive issues with literally anything I've eaten so far which was my biggest worry. Before surgery, the foods I just mentioned would have given me all night pain in my gallbladder and now I'm free to eat whatever I want. If any is nervous about having the surgery I just wanted to reassure you that not everyone has problems after having it out. I think you'll read more negative stories online because those people that unfortunately have issues are seeking solutions or support whereas those who are feeling fine generally don't take the time to post online that they're feeling fine--So I wanted to do just that. Hope this gives someone out there some hope. Thanks and let me know if you have any questions!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chutzpah84 For This Useful Post:
    adalin (03-12-2018),Titchou (02-11-2018)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2018, 06:09 PM   #2
    adalin
    (female)

adalin HB User
    Re: Gallbladder Removal: Positive Experience

My mother has had gallstone problems and may have to get surgery and to be honest none of us know much about it, so Thankyou for this !

Old 05-27-2018, 07:29 AM   #3
    Glen e
    (male)

Glen e HB User

My experience is essentially the same as yours. Mine came out 5/1, and so far it has elim all my digestion problems except once when I had, in my opinion too much fat and ended up with a small case of the runs. Once that was over, I went back to being completely normal. So far, so good.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #4
    Glen e
    (male)

Glen e HB User

I am about a month in from my gallbladder removal, and also am having good luck. I find that if I had closely watch my fat intake and keep it below 60 daily I am fine. No indigestion at all, and I feel better than I have in the last couple years which is when the gallbladder attacks started. So far so good.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
    fheck
    (female)

fheck HB User

I'm having mine out Monday morning, and trying to research what to expect. After reading so many negative problems, I was getting a little worried! While I am happy to know the possible negatives to the surgery so I can prepare, it's nice to hear the good outcomes as well

Old 06-29-2018, 05:04 PM   #6
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I had mine out a year ago...zero problems. It did take me almost a month to be able to eat anything I wanted, but after that month- no problems.

I am happy I did it!

Old 07-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #7
    Classico
    (female)

Classico HB User
    Smile Re: Gallbladder Removal: Positive Experience

I had mine out about 10 years ago and have always had a sharp pain in area of removal. My doctor kept thinking it was from repetitive motion with my job affecting tissues between my rib cage and causing irritation, but I donít think so. Low fat is a key Iíve found, it doesnít bother me as bad.
    Worry about bile ducts and pancreas but hopefully since pain isnít constant and certain times itís better thatís probably a good sign.
    Nice to read about others experiences, gives some reassurance.

Reply Reply

Tags
    gallbladder attack, gallbladder experiences, gallbladder pain, gallbladder removal, gallbladder surgery