It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• 2 weeks post op severe pain

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-07-2018, 07:54 AM   #1
    Huntwc1
    (female)

Huntwc1 HB User
    2 weeks post op severe pain

Iím 2 weeks post op. Had been doing pretty well until I had 2 ďattacksĒ this weekend of excruciating pain in my right side, nausea and sweaty. Both occurred very soon after eating dinner and began when I went from sitting to standing. They lasted about 10 minutes. I took gas x and klonopin.

I ate halibut, rice and asparagus the first night, second night out to dinner and had chicken Marsala with pasta. Had a glass of wine each night.

Iím so worried, I had been doing pretty well up until this. Called surgeons nurse and she told me she didnít know what to do for me, just go to Er.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I thought if it was food related Iíd get lower intestinal pain not this terrible rib cage pain. Itís much worse than anything I had before operation. Iím so scared.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2018, 03:09 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: 2 weeks post op severe pain

Butter on anything? Chicken Marsala????Oh dear. Honey, you are supposed to be on a no fat,non spicy diet for 2-3 weeks and then add it back in slowly. You are doing a number on your system.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
    Huntwc1 (05-07-2018)
    Old 05-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
    Huntwc1
    (female)

Huntwc1 HB User

My surgeon told me no dietary restrictions! Will I have to eat small and plain long term?

Old 05-07-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
    timur
    (male)

timur HB User

Wow. You definitely need to read a lot about post gallbladder surgery diet. Otherwise, there can be complications like, pancreatics, sphincter of oddi dysfunction, etc.
    The thing is most likely you will never be able to eat like before. Most people I know including myself can't. At two weeks point after surgery, I was eating very little something like rice with coocked carrot and 0 fat.

Last edited by timur; 05-07-2018 at 07:23 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to timur For This Useful Post:
    Huntwc1 (05-09-2018)
    Old 05-07-2018, 07:57 PM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

TOo bad you can't fire that surgeon! NO fat for 2-3 weeks. Then SLOWLY -like 1 pat of butter a meal...your bile duct is taking over for the gb and that takes time. Plain chicken or turkey breast, bread,veggies, nonfat dairy like yogurt, fruit, pickles, etc....nothing fried, no cream sauces, nothing "rich"....no mayo, sour cream, butter, etc. No salad dressing. Plain food.

I had mine out 13 years ago and I eat whatever I want now.

Last edited by Titchou; 05-07-2018 at 07:59 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
    Huntwc1 (05-08-2018)
    Old 05-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #6
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

You will be able to eat everything you want in a few weeks. It took me almost a month before I could eat normally again....boy was I craving PIZZA!

In the meantime, stick to a very low fat diet..and probably no alcohol for a few weeks...ease back into it slowly..if you feel sick, slow down again for another few days. I am positive the meal you ate caused your digestive discomfort...and I am shocked to hear that your surgeon didnt tell you to ease back into things...

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
    Huntwc1 (05-09-2018)
    Old 05-08-2018, 06:50 PM   #7
    Rudykazooty
    (female)

Rudykazooty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    You will be able to eat everything you want in a few weeks. It took me almost a month before I could eat normally again....boy was I craving PIZZA!

In the meantime, stick to a very low fat diet..and probably no alcohol for a few weeks...ease back into it slowly..if you feel sick, slow down again for another few days. I am positive the meal you ate caused your digestive discomfort...and I am shocked to hear that your surgeon didnt tell you to ease back into things...

Good luck!
    I had mine out 2010 I didn’t change my diet at all. I had 80-100 pea to marble size stones for about 5 years before the pain got me down on my hands and knees in such pain I thought I was dying! I have to run to the toilet after I eat some things but I still eat them! Good luck!

Old 05-08-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
    Huntwc1
    (female)

Huntwc1 HB User

My surgeon is a nasty woman. I will never go back to her again.

Reply Reply