It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Polyps/surgery/diet

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
    jmsmom
    (female)

jmsmom HB User
    Polyps/surgery/diet

Hello all. Have been reading through the many posts on the board for several weeks as I get ready to have my gallbladder removed on 2/13. I have gained lots of helpful insight from reading the posts and just had a question about the low fat diet. I saw someone had posted that potatoes would be okay, would baked with no fat sour cream work or do I have to worry about the dairy issue? Thanks to all who have posted their stories in the past, they have been very helpful both for pre-surgery and post surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2019, 12:22 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Polyps/surgery/diet

Personally, I used 0% fat plain yogurt instead of fake sour cream. But so long as it's nonfat it doesn't matter the source.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:09 AM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Polyps/surgery/diet

I ate both fat free sour cream and fat free yogurt on potatoes almost daily when recovering. I also ate fat free cream cheese on bagels after day 2..

Dairy should not bother you in general, but the fat in dairy will...stick with fat free milk and dairy and you'll be fine. Dont forget to use olive oil spray for eggs or anything you cook in a frying pan- stay away from butter for at least 2-3 weeks. You can start easing it back into your diet after week 2....see how you react.

I actually tried to eat something with full fat cheese in it after week 2....worst feeling EVER. I spent the night doubled over in pain and in and out of the bathroom until I passed it...but thats the extent of it- its not like eating fat will hurt you- it just won't digest well. Your body will let you know when you can get back to eating anything you want.
    By the time 3 weeks had gone by I was dreaming about Pizza. I tried it on my 3 week anniversary and ate half of a pie. lol. By then, I was able to digest it.

Your doctor will tell you that you can eat anything you want after surgery- and you can- but I think from experience I can tell you, anything you want which is not fatty... just ease back into a fatty diet. Or better yet, learn how to eat healthier and stick with it!

Good luck!

Reply Reply