It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Gallbladder removal 6 months ago

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-09-2019, 08:34 PM   #1
    bummedinsocal
    (male)

bummedinsocal HB User
    Gallbladder removal 6 months ago

I've posted on here before. I had chronic RUQ pain for almost two years, and after some conflicting test results, finally decided to get my gallbladder removed and hope for the best. Unfortunately, this has not worked for me. I still get the pain off and on, and now have digestive problems from not having a gallbladder. I have chronic constipation, random bouts of nausea, and every morning I wake up with a lot of gas and indigestion in my stomach (all of these did not happen before GB removal). I take ox bile with a fatty meal which helps a bit with the constipation. I'm taking a PPI, which helps only a little. I've tried Tagament, Pepto, DGL, Sliperry Elm, L-Glutamine, etc before bed. Nothing seems to really work for the chronic gas/indigestion. For everyone that had their GB removed, were you feeling normal after 6 months? I'm kind of at my wits end here. I now have gas, constipation, indigestion, and RUQ pain daily. Doctors don't know what is wrong with me at this point. Their best guess is acid reflux/GERD, but those treatments don't work that well for me. I also don't want to keep taking PPI's forever, and it leads to other health problems over time. I'm thinking of asking about a GERD surgery like TIF or fundeplication now, but I don't know if that will work either. Anybody have any ideas for me out there? Much appreciated, thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2019, 04:11 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Gallbladder removal 6 months ago

Hello. you asked "For everyone that had their GB removed, were you feeling normal after 6 months?"

Yes. Actually, I was feeling 100% better in about a month... what you are describing does not sound related to your gallbladder.

All these things you are trying to take to relieve your symptoms, are you taking them all at once? Have you stayed on any of them for more than a week at a time before introducing a new one? Most PPIs take about 2-3 months to really make a difference and you need to be diligent about taking them at the same time each day.

The ox bile you are taking might be messing you up too. I know plenty of people who tried it and felt gassy....stop taking it for a month. Try instead to limit your fats. You don't have to skip them altogether, but try eating healthy so that you don't need to take something to break down fat. By now your body has learned to digest fat...if this is an acid reflux situation, ox bile is doing nothing for you and you need to get to the root of your problem.

I would eliminate any medication or supplements for a few days except whatever your doctor has most recently prescribed and only take that...stay on it for 2-3 weeks and see what happens.

How is your diet? Are you getting enough fiber (which helps constipation) are you eating too much fat (which causes gassiness and bloating)? Make sure you are trying to get your fruits and veggies each day and lay low on the greasy food... a good diet can eliminate allot of Acid reflux and constipation.

Good luck.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
    bummedinsocal
    (male)

bummedinsocal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    Hello. you asked "For everyone that had their GB removed, were you feeling normal after 6 months?"

Yes. Actually, I was feeling 100% better in about a month... what you are describing does not sound related to your gallbladder.

All these things you are trying to take to relieve your symptoms, are you taking them all at once? Have you stayed on any of them for more than a week at a time before introducing a new one? Most PPIs take about 2-3 months to really make a difference and you need to be diligent about taking them at the same time each day.

The ox bile you are taking might be messing you up too. I know plenty of people who tried it and felt gassy....stop taking it for a month. Try instead to limit your fats. You don't have to skip them altogether, but try eating healthy so that you don't need to take something to break down fat. By now your body has learned to digest fat...if this is an acid reflux situation, ox bile is doing nothing for you and you need to get to the root of your problem.

I would eliminate any medication or supplements for a few days except whatever your doctor has most recently prescribed and only take that...stay on it for 2-3 weeks and see what happens.

How is your diet? Are you getting enough fiber (which helps constipation) are you eating too much fat (which causes gassiness and bloating)? Make sure you are trying to get your fruits and veggies each day and lay low on the greasy food... a good diet can eliminate allot of Acid reflux and constipation.

Good luck.

Hi. So I have been taking the PPI for several months, it helps with the RUQ pain (maybe half the time), if I don't take it the pain is constant. That pain was why I had the GB removed in the first place, doctor thought that was the most likely reason for the pain, and the ultrasound showed I had a polyp or stone. Turned out once it was removed, they did not find a polyp or stone!
    They other meds and supplements I have rotated trying to find something that worked. Pretty much it doesn't matter what I take, or what I eat for dinner. Every morning I have extreme gas and indigestion early in the morning (sometimes wakes me up before my alarm), which does not feel good at all as you might imagine. I never felt this way when I had a GB. It gets a little better once I get up and start walking around, but still noticeable. I only take the ox bile when I have a very fatty meal, which actually helps with the constipation issues. I eat very healthy most of the time as well, and try to get most of my fats from produce and nuts. Strangely, I've only had like 2 bouts of diarrhea, which is supposed to be the most common side effect of GB removal. The surgeon said I should have no digestive issues after a few months of not having a GB, which is definitely not true for me! Very discouraged

Old 03-10-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Like I said, this doesn't sound like GB related issue at all. It sounds like your GB removal went fine and the issues you are having has to do with acid- not bile. This can be from a whole host of things. Have you had an endoscopy? Are you seeing a GI doctor or a primary doctor? A good GI doctor would be testing you for everything including bacterial infections in the gut- and fungal infections... you would be looking at Barretts Espophogus by doing an endoscopy....something is causing this, its not the lack of Gallbladder at this point.

Talk to your GI doctor; ask for more testing to be done.

Reply Reply