It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Gallbladder removal 6 months ago

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-09-2019, 08:34 PM   #1
    bummedinsocal
    (male)

bummedinsocal HB User
    Gallbladder removal 6 months ago

I've posted on here before. I had chronic RUQ pain for almost two years, and after some conflicting test results, finally decided to get my gallbladder removed and hope for the best. Unfortunately, this has not worked for me. I still get the pain off and on, and now have digestive problems from not having a gallbladder. I have chronic constipation, random bouts of nausea, and every morning I wake up with a lot of gas and indigestion in my stomach (all of these did not happen before GB removal). I take ox bile with a fatty meal which helps a bit with the constipation. I'm taking a PPI, which helps only a little. I've tried Tagament, Pepto, DGL, Sliperry Elm, L-Glutamine, etc before bed. Nothing seems to really work for the chronic gas/indigestion. For everyone that had their GB removed, were you feeling normal after 6 months? I'm kind of at my wits end here. I now have gas, constipation, indigestion, and RUQ pain daily. Doctors don't know what is wrong with me at this point. Their best guess is acid reflux/GERD, but those treatments don't work that well for me. I also don't want to keep taking PPI's forever, and it leads to other health problems over time. I'm thinking of asking about a GERD surgery like TIF or fundeplication now, but I don't know if that will work either. Anybody have any ideas for me out there? Much appreciated, thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2019, 04:11 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Gallbladder removal 6 months ago

Hello. you asked "For everyone that had their GB removed, were you feeling normal after 6 months?"

Yes. Actually, I was feeling 100% better in about a month... what you are describing does not sound related to your gallbladder.

All these things you are trying to take to relieve your symptoms, are you taking them all at once? Have you stayed on any of them for more than a week at a time before introducing a new one? Most PPIs take about 2-3 months to really make a difference and you need to be diligent about taking them at the same time each day.

The ox bile you are taking might be messing you up too. I know plenty of people who tried it and felt gassy....stop taking it for a month. Try instead to limit your fats. You don't have to skip them altogether, but try eating healthy so that you don't need to take something to break down fat. By now your body has learned to digest fat...if this is an acid reflux situation, ox bile is doing nothing for you and you need to get to the root of your problem.

I would eliminate any medication or supplements for a few days except whatever your doctor has most recently prescribed and only take that...stay on it for 2-3 weeks and see what happens.

How is your diet? Are you getting enough fiber (which helps constipation) are you eating too much fat (which causes gassiness and bloating)? Make sure you are trying to get your fruits and veggies each day and lay low on the greasy food... a good diet can eliminate allot of Acid reflux and constipation.

Good luck.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
    bummedinsocal
    (male)

bummedinsocal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    Hello. you asked "For everyone that had their GB removed, were you feeling normal after 6 months?"

Yes. Actually, I was feeling 100% better in about a month... what you are describing does not sound related to your gallbladder.

All these things you are trying to take to relieve your symptoms, are you taking them all at once? Have you stayed on any of them for more than a week at a time before introducing a new one? Most PPIs take about 2-3 months to really make a difference and you need to be diligent about taking them at the same time each day.

The ox bile you are taking might be messing you up too. I know plenty of people who tried it and felt gassy....stop taking it for a month. Try instead to limit your fats. You don't have to skip them altogether, but try eating healthy so that you don't need to take something to break down fat. By now your body has learned to digest fat...if this is an acid reflux situation, ox bile is doing nothing for you and you need to get to the root of your problem.

I would eliminate any medication or supplements for a few days except whatever your doctor has most recently prescribed and only take that...stay on it for 2-3 weeks and see what happens.

How is your diet? Are you getting enough fiber (which helps constipation) are you eating too much fat (which causes gassiness and bloating)? Make sure you are trying to get your fruits and veggies each day and lay low on the greasy food... a good diet can eliminate allot of Acid reflux and constipation.

Good luck.

Hi. So I have been taking the PPI for several months, it helps with the RUQ pain (maybe half the time), if I don't take it the pain is constant. That pain was why I had the GB removed in the first place, doctor thought that was the most likely reason for the pain, and the ultrasound showed I had a polyp or stone. Turned out once it was removed, they did not find a polyp or stone!
    They other meds and supplements I have rotated trying to find something that worked. Pretty much it doesn't matter what I take, or what I eat for dinner. Every morning I have extreme gas and indigestion early in the morning (sometimes wakes me up before my alarm), which does not feel good at all as you might imagine. I never felt this way when I had a GB. It gets a little better once I get up and start walking around, but still noticeable. I only take the ox bile when I have a very fatty meal, which actually helps with the constipation issues. I eat very healthy most of the time as well, and try to get most of my fats from produce and nuts. Strangely, I've only had like 2 bouts of diarrhea, which is supposed to be the most common side effect of GB removal. The surgeon said I should have no digestive issues after a few months of not having a GB, which is definitely not true for me! Very discouraged

Old 03-10-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Like I said, this doesn't sound like GB related issue at all. It sounds like your GB removal went fine and the issues you are having has to do with acid- not bile. This can be from a whole host of things. Have you had an endoscopy? Are you seeing a GI doctor or a primary doctor? A good GI doctor would be testing you for everything including bacterial infections in the gut- and fungal infections... you would be looking at Barretts Espophogus by doing an endoscopy....something is causing this, its not the lack of Gallbladder at this point.

Talk to your GI doctor; ask for more testing to be done.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:24 AM   #5
    bummedinsocal
    (male)

bummedinsocal HB User

Quote:
    Like I said, this doesn't sound like GB related issue at all. It sounds like your GB removal went fine and the issues you are having has to do with acid- not bile. This can be from a whole host of things. Have you had an endoscopy? Are you seeing a GI doctor or a primary doctor? A good GI doctor would be testing you for everything including bacterial infections in the gut- and fungal infections... you would be looking at Barretts Espophogus by doing an endoscopy....something is causing this, its not the lack of Gallbladder at this point.

Talk to your GI doctor; ask for more testing to be done.
    Hello all,
    I've had some more testing done. I did have an endoscopy, which only showed mild non-erosive gastritis. Doctor said I could also have bile reflux, but it's hard to diagnose. I do have some acid reflux, but I've had that before I even had the GB removed. I've been taking a PPI for over a year for the acid reflux, which seems to work fairly well most of the time for that issue. My main problem is sleeping. Every night I wake up between 3-4 am with stomach pain and gas/indigestion. This only started after the GB removal, so it has to be related. Doc said it could be the bile reflux, but could only recommend taking a PPI and Gaviscon before bed (which I already do). I also take Welchol before bed, in case it's bile reflux. Does anyone have any other suggestions of supplements/medication to take to get me through the night without my stomach waking me up? It really sucks not getting good sleep every night, I'm very tired all the time and it's hard to focus at work, and just life in general.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear bummedinsocal,

I hate to tell you, but meds or gall bladder removal don't resolve all digestion issues.

We need to at least temporarily change what, how much and when we eat. esp. after gall bladder removal. One person can eat certain things and others need to omit them. You can try eating your last meal of the day earlier in the day, and omitting oily and spicy foods like dairy products, even meats, etc. I found lettuce and tomatoes to be hard to digest as well.

This is unique to each person.
    You may need to be taking probiotics and prebiotics to get the digestive system rebalanced. Medication may cover the symptoms for awhile but are not the solution.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #7
    bummedinsocal
    (male)

bummedinsocal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yayagirl View Post
    Dear bummedinsocal,

I hate to tell you, but meds or gall bladder removal don't resolve all digestion issues.

We need to at least temporarily change what, how much and when we eat. esp. after gall bladder removal. One person can eat certain things and others need to omit them. You can try eating your last meal of the day earlier in the day, and omitting oily and spicy foods like dairy products, even meats, etc. I found lettuce and tomatoes to be hard to digest as well.

This is unique to each person.
    You may need to be taking probiotics and prebiotics to get the digestive system rebalanced. Medication may cover the symptoms for awhile but are not the solution.
    Yes, I realize this. The problem is that I have tried everything I can think of, including dietary changes. I don't eat a minimum of 3 hours before bed now, but doesn't seem to improve much. I also don't eat gluten, not too much dairy, and my diet is pretty healthy overall. I've tried every probiotic and supplement I can think of, before bed, when eating meals, etc. Nothing works. I have gas and indigestion daily now, but it's worse when I'm sleeping. Getting my GB removed was the biggest mistake of my life, and there is nothing I can do to get it back.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:40 AM   #8
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear bummed,

You do not want that diseased gall bladder back, trust me.

I just want to encourage you. It may take more time than you expect but this can be overcome. It can take a year or more for the digestive system to recover from a colonoscopy and gall bladder removal. But a diseased gall bladder must come out so it is good that you did that.

Be gentle with yourself. Many people sail right through GB removal recovery, but it took me over a year to get back to semi-normal digestion after the colonoscopy and my food sensitivities remain, but I was born with that. Probably so were you.

This is not all about the gall bladder. It is about your digestive imbalances. It can change if you change your eating habits and avoid all fats and oils for awhile, maybe for months or forever if your digestive system is at all like mine. That is what I needed to do. I know, oils and fats taste good. But we can retrain our taste buds and eat more for health. How many of us grew up eating may need to be altered.

I need to eat fat free dairy, and avoid fatty meats to eat fish and chicken instead, and cook only with very digestible cold-pressed olive oil. Our bodies are all different. My husband has a cast iron stomach, can eat anything at all and it doesn't affect his digestive system. There are all sorts of things I need to avoid eating, or must avoid esp. when I am upset, as my emotions directly affect my digestive process. Of course what happens to me or others is not what will happen for you. I was born with digestive sensitivities so if I am upset about anything it negatively impacts my digestive system. Maybe you experience this too, and if you do, it is highly important that you make yourself settle down about the healing process.

My digestive system was already off before the diseased gall bladder. Getting it out was a relief but not a complete relief for my digestion. I had to completely watch what I ate and could not tolerate fresh produce at all for over a year. I could only eat fresh papaya or fresh pineapple (known for their digestive qualities), but no other fresh fruit or vegetables for months. I could eat canned or cooked fruits, soft boiled eggs or baked unseasoned chicken. But NO oils, no dairy at all as it all has milk fat - no cheese, no butter, no lunch meats, no greasy or spicy food.

I talked to my endocrinologist about this and he told me sensitive stomach is a condition but is not a disease, but that we do need to pay attention to what foods cause an upset and avoid those foods as it may be that we are having an allergic reaction to some substances. Also we need to be consistent with taking good prebiotics and probiotics every day. He also recommended 8 drops a day of pure black licorice to aid the digestive process, available at health food stores. I took the black licorice drops daily for three months and it did help. He told me that the American licorice candy has no licorice in it as it is considered to be a drug in the USA. But imported Australian licorice has real licorice in it and he said you cannot eat so much that it would be toxic. That can be found at dollar stores in the US. I nibble on that to aid my digestion and still need to avoid fatty foods including butter, hard cheese, fatty cuts of meat, etc.

I hope this encourages you. You are not alone in this.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:03 AM   #9
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

"The problem is that I have tried everything I can think of, including dietary changes. I don't eat a minimum of 3 hours before bed now, but doesn't seem to improve much. I also don't eat gluten, not too much dairy, and my diet is pretty healthy overall."

Your diet can be healthy, but what about fat? Are you eating more than alittle bit of fatty food? Cheese can do you in... read labels, try to stay under 5 grams of fat per meal.... this is what helped me when I had my GB out.

I eat no red meat- only turkey and chicken and fish... I eat no processed foods- no junk... I eat allot of low fat yogurts, cottage cheeses and feta cheese- eggs and egg whites ( I never eat all eggs, I always split them, one egg with two egg whites), I eat tons of seafood and things like salsa instead of mayo.... try to watch your fats...its critically important to feel better without a GB.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:22 PM   #10
    bummedinsocal
    (male)

bummedinsocal HB User

Quote:
    "The problem is that I have tried everything I can think of, including dietary changes. I don't eat a minimum of 3 hours before bed now, but doesn't seem to improve much. I also don't eat gluten, not too much dairy, and my diet is pretty healthy overall."

Your diet can be healthy, but what about fat? Are you eating more than alittle bit of fatty food? Cheese can do you in... read labels, try to stay under 5 grams of fat per meal.... this is what helped me when I had my GB out.

I eat no red meat- only turkey and chicken and fish... I eat no processed foods- no junk... I eat allot of low fat yogurts, cottage cheeses and feta cheese- eggs and egg whites ( I never eat all eggs, I always split them, one egg with two egg whites), I eat tons of seafood and things like salsa instead of mayo.... try to watch your fats...its critically important to feel better without a GB.
    I don't go too crazy with fats, and I get more fats from nuts/seeds than dairy or fatty meats. I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables as well. If I eat something with more fat, I take digestive enzymes and ox bile with the meal. High fat or low fat, doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason. Sometimes first thing in the morning before I have eaten anything, I have bad gas/flatulence and indigestion. Sometimes after meals I get more gas/gurgling, sometimes I don't. It's been a year since my surgery, so I'm doubting things are going to get better at this point. I don't understand how my surgeon said I would be totally fine with no side effects from this. Obviously a lot of people have side effects. I don't get diarrhea (constipation instead) which he said was the only possible side effect, and a small chance at that.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:33 PM   #11
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

When it comes to fat, your gb-missing or not- doesn't care where it comes from nor whether it's the good fat or the bad one. Also,one thing we haven't addressed, do you use caffeine? And do you eat raw roughage - lettuce, etc? Both can cause what you describe

Old 08-04-2019, 11:57 AM   #12
    bummedinsocal
    (male)

bummedinsocal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    When it comes to fat, your gb-missing or not- doesn't care where it comes from nor whether it's the good fat or the bad one. Also,one thing we haven't addressed, do you use caffeine? And do you eat raw roughage - lettuce, etc? Both can cause what you describe
    I do drink one cup of coffee and one cup of tea in the mornings at work. I'm trying to give up the coffee, but then I'm so sleepy it's hard to work. But again, a lot of times my stomach is already bothering me first thing in the morning before I have even had any. Why would lettuce cause GI issues? That seems the most innocuous thing you could eat. ( I don't put any dressing on my salads, btw. So no fat there)

Old 08-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #13
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

No clue. I just know that I had issues with it the first 3 months or more after my gb removal. Doctor said some folks have that and they don't know why. It eventually went away.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:58 AM   #14
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dear bummed,

Caffeine is highly acidic which is hard on the gut, so drink it only after eating something and add some cream or half & half if you have to drink it and don't make it very strong.

Lettuce digests slowly because it is is mostly hard fiber. Make sure to chew fresh, raw vegetables extremely well or eat only cooked or steamed vegetables for now. There is no special value in eating lettuce so you may want to skip those raw salads for a few weeks. There is great value in eating a variety of dark colored steamed vegetables - easy to digest and highly nutritious.

Reply Reply