It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Gallbladder recently removed, hoping it gets better ...

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-13-2019, 10:52 PM   #1
    Zinnia21
    (female)

Zinnia21 HB User
    Gallbladder recently removed, hoping it gets better ...

Hi all, would love to hear friendly advice.
    I had my gallbladder removed a smidge over 2 weeks ago. Well I’m a couple of days into week 3 of recovery. First 2 weeks, pretty rubbish! Struggled through them.
    I heard week 3 it gets better, but after having a slightly better day yesterday I have now taken some steps backwards again today, I’m feeling the nausea returning and just feel this horrible sickly feeling through gut and abdomen, still feel generally faint, and aches and twinges inside in liver area where gallbladder was removed from.
    Doctors said my liver got a bit inflamed by the op, so I’m hoping my slowish recovery towards feeling a bit normal is because of that. My liver enzyme count now is only just over the highest end of the scale- the test was 4 to 34, and I am 36. But dr says that normal post op.
    I was pretty exhausted and unwell by the time I had the op, so wasn’t coming at it from a good place, maybe this doesn’t help either.

I'm turning corners slowly, in fits and starts.

I guess I have worried thoughts in back of my mind, like is it going to get better? It’s hard to believe it will some days when I suffered so long before the op with nausea and feeling terrible and now it continues post op, it’s hard to see the shift.
    I still don’t feel up to leaving the house, I just walk up to the street corner in the sun quickly and come straight back, or do some dishes or washing or a little cooking (mostly mashed vegetables still!). And still needing a fair bit of bed rest.
    And my very recent bloods have not shown anything bad, other than the slightly elevated liver enzyme.
    Bile leakage fear is in the back of my mind but my liver count would probably be higher for that, and I’d be a lot sicker I guess.

I’d love to be able to think it’s going to be ok

Last edited by Administrator; 04-14-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Gallbladder recently removed, hoping it gets better ...

Some people don't recover as quickly as others. Some things that will help are moving around...walk as much as you can. It really will help. Also, stop with the mashed vegetables. There are plenty of things you can - and should - eat. Fat free anything-yogurt, ice cream, etc. Chicken or turkey breast. Bread, baked potato(use fat free yogurt instead of butter or sour cream) Steamed veggies. Lean fish. Watch out for raw roughage like lettuce. For some reason some people have a hard time with it right after this experience. I sure did! Fat free soups such as ones made with fat free broths. Keep this up for at least 2-3 weeks and then SLOWLY add fat back in -like one pat of butter per meal. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:46 PM   #3
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Zinnia,

I think you will likely be fine. It can easily take 4-6 weeks on average for the body to recover and settle down from GB surgery. Some feel better more quickly than others. That's normal. My recovery was slow, more like six weeks before I began to feel normal.

That the liver is a little unhappy is significant and may be why you are still recovering. Every person is different so no worries.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:53 PM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

My experience of having my gallbladder out was similar to yours...I wasnt sure I would EVER feel better! But it turned out to be what I was eating..I tried to eat things with fat too quickly. I also found out that salad upset my digestion and caused real pain.

I went back to less than 5 grams of fat per meal (read labels) and I kept off all uncooked veggies for another two weeks and then suddenly I felt better. After 2 more weeks, I started adding in salad and some fat (butter and oils) and slowly but surely, I started to get back on track. By the time I hit week 4 I was back to eating pizza and everything I wanted!

Give it some more time...it WILL get better!

Old 04-16-2019, 06:19 PM   #5
    Zinnia21
    (female)

Zinnia21 HB User

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate.

Yes Iím definitely eating a good variation of low fat healthy foods aside from mash. I had a couple of days after posting this, where the nausea went away, but it has very much returned again today. That is my most hated and feared symptom. Feels like itís never going to leave for good. It makes it hard to go out and leave the house or get on with anything much, when i feel so queasy and off.

I hope it goes back to improving. Did any of you have this, where it seems to go away, but returns? At this point. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since the surgery.

But as you all say, it can take a few more weeks to feel overall big improvements. And thatís reassuring that you say this. But itís still hard to shake the worry. I have a child and am struggling to return to proper parenting, let alone going back to work. That still feels quite distant. And I was sick and struggling with all of that for a while before surgery too. So thereís this fear it will never be better as itís dragged on so long. But Iím trying very hard to believe what you all say- that it will get better.
    I hope the 4 week mark will bring me more improvements.

Thankyou for your support in this difficult time.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:52 PM   #6
    Zinnia21
    (female)

Zinnia21 HB User

Also, I’m feeling like the nausea is maybe sometimes caused by an odd feeling of pressure or inflammation in my abdomen area, more so than to do with eating food.
    Can anyone relate to this? Almost like my stomach is being pressed on continuously and feels nausea from pressure.
    I don’t know if this sounds familiar to anyone. Inflammation or something, while healing? It’s not there every day, but when it is it all feels very uncomfortable and flared up.
    I’m going to check my liver count again tomorrow. I hope all is normal there.
    Thanks everyone

Old 04-21-2019, 05:23 PM   #7
    Zinnia21
    (female)

Zinnia21 HB User

Yaya girl, thanks, Iím relieved to see someone else had a 6 week recovery time.

Well, not happy you suffered, but itís relatable!

Did you have nausea and discomfort up until that point?

Iím just over 3 and a half weeks post op now. My main issue is still the nausea and general discomfort. Like someone has popped my organs back in upside down!

Just feels wrong and sickly still.

What were some of the signs for you that you were really turning a corner? Did the nausea just slowly go? I feel one day will be fairly good, and then Iíll have a couple of bad days with it, and so on. So itís worrying and disheartening. I want to go back to work and look after my son properly.

My liver count is much better now, so itís not liver related at least.

I hope I improve at the 6 week mark as you did.

Thanks

Old 04-30-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
    miniguy
    (male)

miniguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB User

I had nausea off and on for a number of months after surgery, but it eventually did go away and yours will to. Your doc can write you a prescription for something that will help in the mean time.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:52 PM   #9
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You don't say what you are eating so it's hard to give you a definitive answer. Some people have problems with raw roughage after this surgery and I certainly did off and on. Even though I wasn't all that hungry after, I had to eat something because I would be queasy when i didn't. And WALK....as much as you can - walk! It will help tremendously.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:16 PM   #10
    Zinnia21
    (female)

Zinnia21 HB User

Thankyou miniguy! Really appreciate your reassurance. I seem to react pretty negatively to most anti nausea meds. I tried motilium and that was awful. Pramin (Maxolon) is ok ish but makes me dizzy and tired. And ondansetron (the tiny tablet that melts on your tongue), not sure if that helps me much..?

Which was the med that helped you through the nausea?
    Thanks for your reply, it will give me hope in the case that my nausea does in fact continue for a long time. It can be disheartening when I know several people whoíve had the surgery and itís like nothing ever happened to them after 3 weeks. Iím nearly 5 weeks now...

Old 04-30-2019, 07:25 PM   #11
    Zinnia21
    (female)

Zinnia21 HB User

Miniguy, Iím also curious, did you have nausea regardless of what foods you had? I seem to wake up with it and just have it there nearly all day, not even directly in response to food. My whole abdomen just feels nauseous and wrong most of the day regardless of what I do. Were you like this too?
    I hope that similar to you it just eventually goes away. I am less than 5 weeks past surgery, maybe Iíll turn that corner soon.
    Thanks so much for your responses

Old 04-30-2019, 07:28 PM   #12
    Zinnia21
    (female)

Zinnia21 HB User

Thanks titchou,
    Iím eating a balanced but careful diet. Low fat, no salad or raw things. Well I seem to tolerate apples and bananas fine. But no raw leafy things or uncooked veggies. Just good basic food, like toast and a little avocado,cooked oats, baked potatoes with simple low fat toppings, steamed veg, low fat yogurt, lean chicken, all that good post op stuff.

I know what you mean about needing to eat to help with the queasy feeling. Though sometimes post eating is even more queasy. And getting up and about definitely a good thing. Or the nausea takes hold even stronger. I seem to be nauseous nearly non stop lately.
    Iíll take your advice and try to walk a bit more, if anything it distracts a bit from the nausea.
    Thank you!

Old 05-07-2019, 05:27 PM   #13
    Zinnia21
    (female)

Zinnia21 HB User

So Iíve recently had a few days where the nausea eases off for a good few hours. Does it happen sort of gradually like that until itís less and less and then eventually gone ? I wonder what causes it, as some donít get it at all!

I guess Iíve found it trying because my main symptom prior to surgery was nausea (and just this awful unwell feeling) and now afterwards itís been intense too. Leaves you wondering if that feeling will ever go away. And even my GP doctor seemed a bit mift that I was still nauseous, which can be disheartening. Doctors donít seem to account for outside of the square recovery time frames.

But if itís starting to reduce a little now thatís a good sign right? Iím pretty much 6 weeks post surgery now. But I canít imagine having an entire Ďnormalí day just yet. But from about 1 in the afternoon till early evening it seems to ease off a lot.
    Is this progress?
    Still fairly wobbly in the mornings though, and mid evening.

Thankyou all. Itís been a very long time Iíve been going through this. I just keep trying to stay positive and imagine having my life back.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #14
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi, it sounds like you are on the road to recovery..Ive never heard of it being this bad for this long- but...everyone is different. Rather than seeing a GP, have you considered seeing a Gastro doctor (GI)? They are allot more knowledgeable about gallbladders and post op instructions.

Are you eating normally yet?

Old 05-15-2019, 12:35 AM   #15
    Zinnia21
    (female)

Zinnia21 HB User

Hi there, yes I have a follow up with the hospitals GI doctors in a few weeks, but generally doctors and surgeons are not sure about the nausea thing as an ongoing symptom it seems.
    It went away for a couple days but then came back with a vengeance
    Either something got thrown out of balance by the gallbladder removal, or there’s another problem. But I’ve had every test under the sun before the surgery and the gallstone was the only thing that was detected. I did also have a stomach polyp, but that had a biopsy done and was not harmful or a likely cause of nausea or issues. It’s all confusing and frustrating.
    I’m eating pretty normally, but still fairly low fat. And sometimes smaller portions.
    I just have this ill feeling that is so hard to shake.
    7 weeks after surgery. No fun.
    Thanks for your support.

Reply Reply