It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Is this pain normal?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
    Jendawn21
    (female)

Jendawn21 HB User
    Is this pain normal?

So I had my GB removed 12 days ago. The first week was horrible but Iím slowly feeling better. I still have nausea and havenít really been eating a whole lot of food and the little foods I do eat are low to no fat. I went to my post op dr appt and told her that I was still getting nausea sometimes she said thatís not normal and wants me to do an endoscopy. My main complaint is pain I still have been feeling that goes into my right shoulder and a lot of pressure around the top of my stomach that sometimes makes it hard to breath my Dr didnít seem to concerned but itís making me feel miserable on top of still feeling tired and blah most of day. Has this happened to anyone else does anybody have any advise! Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Is this pain normal?

Dear Jen,

An endoscopy seems like jumping the gun. At this early time in the recovery process I personally would not go along with that. Recovery if you eat right can easily take two months and for some it takes longer to feel normal again.

I don't think the shoulder issue is related to the surgery. I think nausea may be from what and/or how much you are eating or drinking.

To me it seems that you need to walk and regularly eat appropriately. Not eating enough can cause digestive upset as much as eating wrong foods or too much. Are you avoiding all fats and sugars, esp milk, butter, fats and dairy products? Are you eating several small meals every day?

Steamed vegetables are very good and easy to digest. Avoid dairy, breads or rice and any kind of fat for now. Avoid sugar and coffee too and only drink water or herb tea until your body recovers.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:10 AM   #3
    Jendawn21
    (female)

Jendawn21 HB User

For the most part I have ate really low diet.. but I have had some dairy dry toast brown rice grilled or canned chicken and saltine crackers it basically my diet. Sunday I cooked eggs and turkey bacon and doubled over in extreme pain that was worst than the gallbladder attack I was sick the rest of the day into the next. I have drank mainly water with alittle bit of half and half tea other than that I wake up nauseated I feel crummy and feel like the misery will never end! I still have weird pains as well that feel like they are all around by tummy not just were my gallbladder was. As far as the endoscopy she said she wanted to check for bile reflex, Crohns or celiac and possibly gastritis since I had that 2 yrs ago via endoscopy.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi. I do not remember having any pain like you are discussing last year when I had my gallbladder out. I did have nausea; but that lasted about 3 weeks and then everything went back to normal.
    An endoscopy is a good idea; just to check and make sure there are no erosion or esophageal issues. Follow your doctors advice!
    I hope you feel better soon.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #5
    jimmyspam
    (male)

jimmyspam HB User

Im post op three weeks and experiencing the same pain...nausea, pain around the mid section on the right going to the back, and the sharp or dull ache on the right below the shoulder, usually after I eat...Its the same symptoms i had prior to the surgery...

Old 05-14-2019, 02:03 PM   #6
    jimmyspam
    (male)

jimmyspam HB User

I failed to mention my surgeon would not do the surgery without the endoscopy to rule out any issues. not a bad idea.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Ditch the eggs....that's why you had that pain. Get some veggies in your diet too .Baked potato with fat free yogurt, chicken (or poach it with no fat broth).Get creative. This is not an ulcer diet-it is a fat free diet. Big difference. You aren't giving your body much to digest so lots of bile is just sitting around making you feel poorly.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:16 PM   #8
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Jen,

There is estimated recovery time but for sure there is no universal time table for full recovery. That is why I would wait for my body to fully recover before looking for another possible problem. The time it takes for the body to heal and rebalance after gall bladder disease and then the surgery varies with each person.

Even low fat dairy can be too much fat this soon after gallbladder surgery. Canned chicken, and even turkey bacon can contain too much fat. Egg yolks are fat; egg whites have no fat. Yes the indigestion is typically in the stomach area, not where the gall bladder was.

No milk & skinless grilled or baked chicken would have very little or no fat. For me, I had to avoid all meat, though as meat does have fat. Fruit and vegetables are low fat as long as you avoid butter, oil, and salad dressings, etc. Any kind of bacon or spicy food would be a no-no.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:14 PM   #9
    Jendawn21
    (female)

Jendawn21 HB User

Thank you everyone for the responses... Iím hopeful that this will all go away soon. Everyone I talked to that has had their gallbladder removed acted liked everything would be 1000 percent better a few days after surgery! I have been sick for over 2 years and have missed out on so much and Iím supposed to go on vacation at the end of the month and Iím scared Iíll be stuck at home once again!! Iím gonna take everyoneís advise and keep my fingers crossed that all this will pass and I can get on with my life!

Old 05-15-2019, 08:51 AM   #10
    Jendawn21
    (female)

Jendawn21 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yayagirl View Post
    Dear Jen,

There is estimated recovery time but for sure there is no universal time table for full recovery. That is why I would wait for my body to fully recover before looking for another possible problem. The time it takes for the body to heal and rebalance after gall bladder disease and then the surgery varies with each person.

Even low fat dairy can be too much fat this soon after gallbladder surgery. Canned chicken, and even turkey bacon can contain too much fat. Egg yolks are fat; egg whites have no fat. Yes the indigestion is typically in the stomach area, not where the gall bladder was.

No milk & skinless grilled or baked chicken would have very little or no fat. For me, I had to avoid all meat, though as meat does have fat. Fruit and vegetables are low fat as long as you avoid butter, oil, and salad dressings, etc. Any kind of bacon or spicy food would be a no-no.
    How long did you go without eating any meat or fatty. Did you just slowly introduce them back in like one at a time?

Old 05-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #11
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dear Jendawn,

Hon, you don't need to be stuck at home at all. Just be wise in what you eat.
    Vacation doesn't have to mean eat whatever whenever. I know that's fun, but it isn't healthy or wise so focus instead on enjoying the people and the location. You can do this. There are lots of fine foods to eat that are not greasy.

For now no kind of fat is healthy for you. I have a nervous digestive system from when i was born. Sometimes I get sick by eating something my body disagrees with. I don't stay home because that can happens. There are digestive aids and anti-acids to help you get through this unpleasant time. If down the road of time you find you can eat everything you always liked then you can. Right now you can't.

For me, meat and fatty foods bother me at times and at times I seem to eat them with no problem. If I don't combine different types of food such as fruit with fatty food, then digesting seems to be easier. Avoiding dessert helps, too. Sugar with grease doesn't work for me.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #12
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Once you feel better, usually 2-3 weeks, one pat of butter a day to see how that works for a few days. Don't jump in with pizza or pasta alfredo for several weeks!

Old 05-16-2019, 02:58 AM   #13
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

If you are going to eat eggs, buy the carton of egg whites and only eat the white part for now. Scramble them with no butter- use Pam cooking spray and only eat a small portion several times a day. Big meals can make you nauseous.

It took me 4+ weeks to be able to eat butter or oils or any type of red meat or cheese. I lived on fat free yogurt, fruits, baked potatoes and baked sweet potatoes- with no butter, I used fat free sour cream or fat free yogurt. I ate baked chicken and turkey and a ton of egg white omelets with things like mushrooms and even some sliced and diced peppers/ onions or scallions for flavor.

After 3 weeks, try adding a tiny bit of butter or olive oil back into your diet..I think I tried toast with a small amount of butter the first time, then added in some butter on my potatoes until it didnt make me queasy when I ate it.

6 weeks from my surgery I was eating pizza! Everything was back to normal.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #14
    Jendawn21
    (female)

Jendawn21 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    If you are going to eat eggs, buy the carton of egg whites and only eat the white part for now. Scramble them with no butter- use Pam cooking spray and only eat a small portion several times a day. Big meals can make you nauseous.

It took me 4+ weeks to be able to eat butter or oils or any type of red meat or cheese. I lived on fat free yogurt, fruits, baked potatoes and baked sweet potatoes- with no butter, I used fat free sour cream or fat free yogurt. I ate baked chicken and turkey and a ton of egg white omelets with things like mushrooms and even some sliced and diced peppers/ onions or scallions for
    After 3 weeks, try adding a tiny bit of butter or olive oil back into your diet..I think I tried toast with a small amount of butter the first time, then added in some butter on my potatoes until it didnt make me queasy when I ate it.

6 weeks from my surgery I was eating pizza! Everything was back to normal.
    Thank you for your reply! I have been eating a pretty bland diet and Iím still getting nauseous I ate 2 slices of plain toast this morning and it was followed by nausea and an uncomfortable rumbling in my stomach like as if Iím gonna have diarrhea or vomiting even so far I have had neither. Itís just so uncomfortable and just makes it hard to function to feel like you might throw up any minute. The nausea is what I have had for alittle over 2 years and my surgeon was 100 percent sure that taking my gallbladder out was gonna solve all my problems but I have seen no change at all, itís just very discouraging.

Reply Reply