HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Gallbladder (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/gallbladder/)
-   -   Is removal necessary? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/gallbladder/1047786-removal-necessary.html)

OrangeAugust 09-23-2019 07:33 AM

Is removal necessary?

I ended up in the ER last week because I woke up with an intense pain in the center of my upper abdomen under my breastbone, and the pain wrapped all the way around my back. An ultrasound showed that I have ďsludgeĒ in my gall bladder. They referred me to a surgeon and I made an appointment. I Really want to avoid surgery if I can, though.
But after the ER i realized that Iíve been having issues with it for a few months- iíve been wondering why I keep getting stomach aches that last a short time- an hour at most.
And now since I was in the ER, almost every day I feel a nagging pain under my left ribcage (i have situs inversus so my organs are mirror image of normal).
But I also read that sludge can be basically dissolved with medication. Should I get a second opinion, or does the pain mean that the gall bladder itself is diseased and wonít recover?
Thanks. I really want to avoid surgery because Iím afraid of it, tbh.

Titchou 09-23-2019 03:38 PM

Re: Is removal necessary?

Well, sludge turns into stones. Something's causing the sludge to accumulate and nothing can be done about that. This is a very common condition in women due to the estrogen we produce. So, if you don't have it out now, you will have to later...if it doesn't rupture (yes, like an appendix)and kill you. I know 2 people who died from this. Don't chance it.It's a normally quick and easy procedure...I was headed home 2 hours after they put me under. Off work 2-1/2 days. Don't mess around.

MSNik 09-23-2019 05:59 PM

Sludge does not dissolve and it is a precursor to stones. Get the surgery.. I had sludge show up on my ultrasound and was scheduled for surgery that week. It turned out that my Gallbladder was so diseased it was falling apart as the surgeon was removing it. Had I waited, it would have ruptured and that can be death... its also a huge scar as opposed to small laparoscopic insions.

This is a relatively easy surgery. You'll be up walking around that night and you'll be feeling 100% better within 2 weeks.

OrangeAugust 09-23-2019 06:44 PM

[QUOTE=Titchou;5497292]Well, sludge turns into stones. Something's causing the sludge to accumulate and nothing can be done about that. This is a very common condition in women due to the estrogen we produce. So, if you don't have it out now, you will have to later...if it doesn't rupture (yes, like an appendix)and kill you. I know 2 people who died from this. Don't chance it.It's a normally quick and easy procedure...I was headed home 2 hours after they put me under. Off work 2-1/2 days. Don't mess around.[/QUOTE]
Ok, thanks. My trip to the ER was a week ago from Friday. I have an appointment with a surgeon but itís not for another week and a half. Should I try to get the appointment moved up? Iím actually having pain right now, but itís not that bad.

Titchou 09-23-2019 07:07 PM

You should be fine. Get on a low to no fat diet(the gb's function is to inject bile to digest fat). You'll have to be on that after removal as well for 2weeks or so.