It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Hidden Gallbladder Issues?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-28-2019, 07:38 PM   #1
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User
    Question Hidden Gallbladder Issues?

Over the summer, I got really sick for about a week and a half...most of it was super intense, sharp, stabbing pain in the upper right quadrant of my abdomen. Went to urgent care, they said if it gets worse go to the ER. Went to the ER, had a CT and ultrasound, and nothing showed up, so there was still a mystery. And then, I started getting better.

About a week and a half ago now, I started getting the exact same symptoms and pain, in the exact same location. Two ER and 3 primary visits later, my primary wants me to get a HIDA scan, in case there is a hidden issue with my gallbladder that regular scans can't pick up, because my symptoms, especially the location of my pain, looks like gallbladder problems. But there are no stones or anything, so that's part of why he wants the HIDA.

This has kept me out of work, as I'm in near constant pain, and walking causes the most pain...and I'm a teacher, so I move all day long.

I'm not sure if I should try to go into work on Monday...I did Wednesday, and barely made it through the morning without crying...and went to the ER that night. Also not sure when my scan will be scheduled for. I know it's a simple one, so maybe within the next few days?

Has anyone ever had something like this before?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2019, 09:03 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Hidden Gallbladder Issues?

So very many times. Eat low to no fat till you find out the cause.. Below 35% and about 75% on the HIDA are generally considered evidence that the gb needs be removed. Keep us posted.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:18 AM   #3
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User

I eat fairly low fat to begin with. Not dairy products (I hate most low fat dairy, except cheese I can do), but I only eat meat a few times a week, and when I do, it's lean chicken or turkey, not even the dark meat.

I'll have fat containing snacks from time to time, but I honestly mostly eat fruit/vegetables and peanut butter (which I know is high in fat, but considering what else I eat, it's not a lot in my diet). I'm one of those people who eats the same few things all the time.

Are the specific foods to stay away from?

Old 09-29-2019, 10:06 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I would lay off the nuts, cheese, etc until you have the test. Also, while too much fat in one's diet can cause stones/issues, so can too little. And since you are female, that's also an issue due to estrogen. It's a fine line to be sure!

Old 09-29-2019, 11:26 AM   #5
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User

That's like 90% of what I eat I can't eat a sandwich without cheese, and nuts and applesauce are my favorite snacks. I also can't really cook atm, because my oven is broken and my old roommate stole my pots and pans, so I eat an even more limited diet than my normal right now.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:22 PM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

If it is your gallbladder when you have it removed you'll be on a low to no fat diet for the first 2-3 weeks after removal. So it would be good to test it out now..veggies, poached chicken and fish(easy with a little chicken broth or wine for liquid),rice, fruit, etc. is pretty simple and good for you and would fit with what you are eating -other than the cheese requiement for sandwiches which would leave them out.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #7
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User

The hard part about that is not having a way to cook most things. I do eat a lot of rice, and pasta, because you can make both of those in a rice cooker. But of course, I don't eat pasta without some sort of fat, whether it be butter or cheese or olive oil and cheese...basically, pasta must have cheese, unless it's pesto I suppose...but of course, that's not a low fat food either.

I make a lot of sandwiches because I'm a teacher, so it's the easiest thing to bring for lunch. I don't get a true break during the day to unwind, relax and eat, so I generally bring a sandwich and some sort of fruit. I suppose I could do a grocery trip and find some easily steam-able foods that could be made the night before.

Old 09-29-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You poach on top the stove...use a pyrex or corning ware type dish with a lid. Put chicken or fish in, salt and pepper and pour broth or wine around.. cook on low to medium heat,with liquid simmering till done. You can shred the chicken and use on salads, soft tacos, wraps, etc...easy meal to take to for lunch.

Old 09-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #9
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User

I don't have any cookware right now except a rice cooker.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:16 PM   #10
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You can poach in that or just buy a rotisserie chicken at the grocery.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:26 PM   #11
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I would suggest buying rotisserie chicken at the grocery OR my grocery has already shredded rotisserie chicken. I buy one a week and use it for salads, chicken sandwhiches and soups.. I also use it for chicken tacos or enchildadas- but those you will want to avoid as they contain cream and cheese.

Gallbladder issues are weird. I had zero pain and zero symptoms until one day I had a pain which floored me- literally, I fell to my knees. I went to see a GI doctor who ordered a hIDA and CT scan- I was in surgery the same week. My CT scan showed so much sludge in my gallbladder that it was ready to rupture.

Ruptured Gallbladders can cause death if not treated immediately.

My surgeon said it literally fell to pieces as he was removing it.

Having it out was the best thing I ever did. I can eat everything I want now...it took about 3-4 weeks after the surgery and things were back to normal.

Good luck!

Old 09-29-2019, 07:29 PM   #12
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User

My CT and ultrasound were 100% clean, which is why I'm getting the HIDA. I'm hoping that shows what's up.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:29 AM   #13
    Scd728
    (female)

Scd728 HB User

I have a similar story as yours. Started feeling cramps in June but thought it was some weird period thing coming early. Three weeks later my cramps became a constant thumping pain on my right and I was constantly nauseous, flipping between diarrhea and constipation. I finally went to the ER had an ultrasound, was told my gallbladder looked fine and was told it was probably just the flu. Two weeks later, still in pain, I called my regular doctor - I couldn't eat any solids at that point. My doctor suspected my gallbladder, suggested a HIDA scan and referred me to a surgeon. I was on a clear liquid only diet for a month by the time I had a HIDA scan on a Monday. The surgeon was on the phone before I even left the hospital. I had my gallbladder removed two days later - it was leaking and necrotic even though that original ultrasound had been fine.

I'm a week post-OP and I feel so so so much better.

Get the HIDA scan.. get the scan. But a word to the wise, you'll know during that scan if it's your gallbladder or not. The CCK drug they give you (the second one) made me want to throw up and sent my pain into overdrive. It was the same pain I had been feeling but in supermax. The pain from the HIDA scan didn't end until the surgery - my surgeon said when a patient feels that pain during the scan, he knows the gallbladder needs to come out. When it lingers after the scan, he knows its urgent. Thank god for that man!

Good luck!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Scd728 For This Useful Post:
    missyou009 (10-02-2019)
    Old 10-02-2019, 05:11 PM   #14
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User

Trust me, I'm getting the scan done ASAP!! I've called and spoken with both my doctor's office AND insurance company.

Unfortunately, it's not going to happen until late next week or the week after, because my doctor just sent in the forms for the prior authorization today and there's a 3 day turnaround period for that.

I'm honestly hoping and praying that it's as simple as having my gallbladder removed.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:04 PM   #15
    Scd728
    (female)

Scd728 HB User

I hope you get some answers and relief soon! The last few two weeks prior to the scan and surgery were unbearable and I feel for you... Fingers crossed!

Reply Reply