It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• HIDA Scan

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User
    HIDA Scan

I finally have some good news! I got my HIDA scan scheduled for next week! That's two weeks earlier than the original date, which was about a 3 week wait!

I have been in way too much pain to wait 3 weeks, so I did everything in my power to find a way to get this done sooner. It took many calls, both to my doctor's office and insurance company, me taking another whole day off work and driving 2 hours north to the hospital with the closest available time slot...

How long does it take to get results back from the scan? I would think not that long, but my doctor's office won't schedule a follow-up until after they get the results. Seems kind of backwards to me since that would delay them getting to me.....

But I'm ready. Hope it's not a long one on me. They said they can take up to 4 hours! But that it's usually an hour to an hour and a half.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2019, 03:39 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: HIDA Scan

You may not even need to see your doctor. If the results are conclusive, he should just send you to a surgeon. Mine did after my u/s.

Old 10-04-2019, 04:38 PM   #3
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User

I hope it can be that fast. This has already been going on too long.

Old 10-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

My doctor had me wait in the radiology department and sent me to a surgeon as soon as my test was finished. I did not have a HIDA scan, but had an ultrasound, which was done because they suspected gallbladder issues. I saw the surgeon the same day and had surgery within 5 days of that appointment.

Normally though, the results take 24 hours...if your radiologist suspects a problem they will call your doctor and not have them wait to get a report. So, your doctor may know the same day.

Good luck!

Old 10-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #5
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User

I've had quite a lot of imaging done in my life, and this is the first time my doctor hasn't scheduled a followup beforehand which is why I'm questioning it.

I've had a CT and ultrasound that both came back normal, and that is why I'm having the HIDA scan. My doctor suspects gallbladder because of my symptoms and location of pain.

Reply Reply