It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• This is what the GI had to say

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-21-2019, 09:03 PM   #1
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User
    This is what the GI had to say

Had my GI appointment today...

She doesn't know what's wrong wither. She's wondering if it might duodenitis or gastritis, so I have to get an upper endoscopy, but it didn't seem like she was at all convinced that's what the problem is, because my pain is localized to my gallbladder, and my symptoms match up. So depending on what the endoscopy says, I may or may not be looking at having exploratory surgery.

She had some stupid idea about there being too much acid in my stomach, which I only think is stupid because another doctor thought that, put me on Prilosec (same as she did) and it did nothing. She also gave me carafate, which is new to me.

So I guess we'll just have to see.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2019, 05:04 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: This is what the GI had to say

Well,, if it's excess bile from the overactive gb, that would make sense...though the prilosec won't help. Carafate might but might not either. Looks like she's open to the gb being it.

Old 10-22-2019, 05:22 AM   #3
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User

I know for sure that Prilosec won't help. Another doctor already had me try that.

Old 10-22-2019, 05:33 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

That's what I said. In the other sentence I meant the excess bile could be the cause.Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:41 PM   #5
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User

No, I understood what you were saying. I was just saying that I know for a fact, from experience in this that Prilosec won't help.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:10 AM   #6
    miniguy
    (male)

miniguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB Userminiguy HB User

I had my GB removed about 5 years ago, typical symptoms. Nausea, bloating, URQ discomfort but no ER runs with intense pain. Ultrasound showed gall stones. Surgery was not difficult, symptoms disappeared over time, nausea took months to dissipate but eventually did. About 7 mo. ago I developed nausea, URQ discomfort, etc. Symptoms very similar to the GB issue, very queasy almost all the time. MRI, ultrasound, chest x ray, blood work showed nothing. Upper endoscopy showed inflammation of the stomach lining and a fair amount of bile. Diagnosed as bile gastritis. Treated with Carafate and a couple other drugs that did nothing at all for the symptoms. I already take 20mg. of omeprazole for acid reflux and my internist suggested doubling the dosage which after several weeks improved the symptoms greatly. So don't rule gastritis out if the testing you have had is not showing the GB as the problem. My gastritis symptoms almost duplicated that of the GB symptoms and you may have to up the dosage of a PPI to ultimately get some healing of the stomach lining.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:17 AM   #7
    missyou009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missyou009 HB User

GI put me on carafate, and it has so far done nothing. Endoscopy showed just a little bit of redness and irritation at the top of my stomach, but nothing that was diagnosable. They did a biopsy and I'm waiting for the results.

Reply Reply