It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Eating No Fat/Surgery fears (PE)

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-09-2020, 06:34 AM   #1
    scintillarb

scintillarb HB User
    Decision to remove gallbladder

Hello -
    I have been having RUQ pain for about 3 weeks now. Comes and goes but mostly there. Dull, not stabbing. Just under my ribs but moves toward the back. Sometimes above my belly button. I also wake up with slight nausea but it goes away after an hour or so. Doesn't seem to be related to eating, although sometimes it does get worse after eating. Often it will feel better if I lay down for a while.

Had a US and CT scan. Both show one gallstone, nothing else to explain my pain. I was referred to a surgeon to have my gallbladder removed.

Questions:
    1. I already asked my doctor this but waiting for her response-should they also check to see if it could be ulcers?
    2. The surgeon they referred me to specializes in bariatric surgery - does that sound right?
    3. How did you find the surgeon that performed your surgery?
    4. Other than this board (which has already been helpful), can you suggest any other resources for me to learn more about gallbladder removal, etc?
    Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2020, 10:28 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Decision to remove gallbladder

I used a general surgeon who was recommended by several friends who had theirs removed by him. Your symptoms sound classic so can't imagine that any further testing need be done. The lap procedure is really quick. From the time they put me on the operating table till I woke up enough in recovery to read the clock - 40 minutes...6:55 AM to 7:35 AM. I left the hospital at 9;30 AM. Really pretty easy all around. getting in and out of bed was a bit tricky but a friend had told me to climb in on my knees rather than sitting and trying to swing my legs over. Worked very well. Was off work 2-1/2 days. Ran 2 miles a week later. (but I was running all the time anyway).

Don't let this get ahead of you. The stones are spiny so when the gb contracts to expell the bile into your digestive system, the spines scratch the inside of the gb and that causes the pain. Eventually other stones can form. infection can set in from the scratching and it can eventually rupture, possibly becoming deadly. I know 2 people who died from ruptured gbs. Know another who had to be on 5 days of IV antibiotics before they could take his out. It weighed 6 pounds and was full of gangrene. Don't mess around with this. Have it out. Eat no to very low fat from now to about 3 weeks after having it out. You'll be fine.

Old 07-10-2020, 02:51 PM   #3
    scintillarb

scintillarb HB User

Thanks for responding. Appointment on Tuesday with the surgeon.
    I'm struggling with eating no fat, not an easy thing for me.

I guess I will get it done, I don't want to end up in an emergency situation. And I can't live like this anyway.

Old 07-10-2020, 08:08 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Keep us posted.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
    scintillarb

scintillarb HB User
    Eating No Fat/Surgery fears (PE)

Hi - I posted earlier about scheduling my gallbladder removal. Met with the surgeon and basically it seemed as if the appointment was to get the consent form signed. No real consultation. I'm now just waiting for the scheduler to call and set things up.

In the meantime, I have been eating pretty much no fat and I feel a LOT better. I still have a little bit of pain here and there but I almost feel like a new person.

I suppose this confirms that it's my gallbladder?

I had a pulmonary embolism about 10 years ago following surgery and am now freaking out about this one.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:04 AM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Re: Eating No Fat/Surgery fears (PE)

Sounds like you are on the right road. Be sure and include the embolism in your medical history and the convo with the anesthesiologist and your doctor.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:21 AM   #7
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scintillarb View Post
    Hi - I posted earlier about scheduling my gallbladder removal. Met with the surgeon and basically it seemed as if the appointment was to get the consent form signed. No real consultation. I'm now just waiting for the scheduler to call and set things up.

In the meantime, I have been eating pretty much no fat and I feel a LOT better. I still have a little bit of pain here and there but I almost feel like a new person.

I suppose this confirms that it's my gallbladder?

I had a pulmonary embolism about 10 years ago following surgery and am now freaking out about this one.
    As long as you feel a lot better "...like a new person." What reason is there to rush into surgery? Are you aware there may be other options other than surgery? All surgical procedures contain an element of risk and should therefore only be done if there's no other way to deal with the issue.

I'm no expert on this but I have heard there is such a thing as "shock wave therapy" sound waves to break up (fragment) the stones. Also, there's another method to flush the stones out by following a flushing procedure.

Surgeons generally won't talk about this because they want to do what they have been trained to do. They are surgeons! So you would have to find another source to look into other methods of nonsurgical treatment.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:01 AM   #8
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Trying a flush can cause a stone to get lodged in the bile duct which could damage the duct and cause another surgery to remove it. As I said above, one can die from a ruptured gb. This is simple procedure to remove the gb. I have too many friends who ended up with more problems because they waited too long to have it removed. Get it out!

Old 07-16-2020, 09:20 AM   #9
    scintillarb

scintillarb HB User

I have researched this a few years ago as they recommended removal back then. I think it might be dangerous to do that flush based on what I found. And they don't offer the sound wave therapy where I am. Not sure where they do that.
    Even though I am terrified of surgery, I don't see any other option in the long run. Even eating fat free I am still feeling something where my gallbladder is. And long term we need healthy fats in our diet-I can't eat like this forever. I wish there was another option.

I'm just freaking out a bit and wondering if anyone else has a history of PE and what they did to mitigate that risk.

Reply Reply