It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Lithotripsy

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-01-2022, 01:39 PM   #1
    tedw
    (male)

tedw HB User
    Lithotripsy

I had a gall bladder attack on Dec. 9 and another one (or continuation of the previous one ) on Dec.10. No fun as some of you no doubt know.

They tell me I have a 1 centimeter by 2 centimer stone. They tell me it is not inflamed. I am over 70.

I have been exploring my options. So far I have seen one Surgeon and one Nurse Practioner. I have another appointment with a second Surgeon next wednesday.

So far, I am not liking what I hear. And , frankly, it seems to me they are in too much of a hurry to take the gall bladder out. I have been exploring other options. I did get a Doctor to prescribe Ursodiol which I am taking. I understand that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Fatality rate for Gall bladder removal appears to be about 1% for people my age. When I asked about the lithotripsy alternative, I was told " That is fallen out of favor". In my area , Southern Oregon, there is nobody doing it. I am wondering if anybody has had experience with having it done and the results. Where in the heck do they do it? Anywhere in Oregon or California?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2022, 03:51 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Lithotripsy

I had mine out at 60 and it was a breeze - lap procedure. Only 3 incisions. Was mostly just sore inside for a while (you do get bruised from it being pulled down and out your belly button.). Little to no fat for 2-3 weeks and then slowly introduce it back in your diet.
    I was running a lot back then and ran 2 miles a week after having it out. Was only out from anesthesia for 40 minutes. Checked in at 5 AM and was picked up to leave at 9:30 AM.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:13 PM   #3
    tedw
    (male)

tedw HB User

If you are not one of the 1% who expire , i suppose it would be.

Old 01-04-2022, 03:03 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well since they only do the procedure you want on kidney stones which then are expelled ghru the urinary tract as opposed to the digestive tract (which is much longer) AND that you can't find anyone who does it, obviously there are issue with it. Those appear to death at a rate exceeding 10%, permanent kidney damage, high blood preessure due to kidney damage, etc. Not removing gallstones can cause infection and even gangrene. One friend of mine finally had his removed and it had gangrene and weighed 6 pounds from all the stones and infection. And I knew 2 people who died from gallbladders that burst and spread the infection thru the body. I prefer the odds have it removed...and I did.

Old 01-06-2022, 01:22 PM   #5
    tedw
    (male)

tedw HB User

The second surgeon I went to (trained at John Hopkins) and who had done a ton of gall bladder surgery tells me there is no harm in trying it although he does not believe it works. We shall see. Surgery remains an option, but the last one as far I am concerned. There are places doing lithotripsy still for gall bladders and studies do not support that 10% death rate for gallstone lithotripsy. In fact the study i looked at rated it safe.

Reply Reply