It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Hardly an appetite, over a month since removal

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-08-2022, 09:06 PM   #1
    wildcat2000
    (male)

wildcat2000 HB User
    Hardly an appetite, over a month since removal

My mom had her gallbladder removed July 28th through laparoscopic surgery. She does not really want to eat anything except Ensure and tiny portions of food that we kind of persuade her to eat.

She says her stomach gets upset and nauseous after a few bites or it happens before and doesn’t want anything so she has some Tums or a zofran once in awhile the Doctor prescribed.

Is this normal? She does not have anything spicy. Sometimes she’ll have a small burger. Kids meal size. Doctor said it was fine as along as she felt like it. Sometimes she does.

I’ve read bile enters your intestines faster after it’s removed but I thought after a month it would have improved.

She’s in a nursing facility right now because she hurt her ankle and needed some physical therapy so she’s not moving around much. Laying down a lot probably makes it worse.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2022, 03:36 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Hardly an appetite, over a month since removal

One should eat as low a fat diet as possible for 2-3 weeks after gallbladder removal. if that wasn't the case for her, YES, she would have a very upset stomach and other digestive issues long term if she didn't stick to that. Plain toast, plain baked chicken, etc. should be what she was eating. You can try going back to that and just explain that you didn't realize that is what she needed and you'll start now so her stomaach doesn't get upset. It's going to take time. And yes, the bile duct needs time to "come online" and that didn't happen for her...

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
    wildcat2000 (09-10-2022)
    Old 09-10-2022, 03:18 AM   #3
    wildcat2000
    (male)

wildcat2000 HB User

Thank you for the advice.

She started out eating bland in the hospital. She stayed about 5 days. She likes yogurt. The cup kind. Sheíll eat soup but mostly the broth and crackers. Also small sweets like 1 or 2 store bought chocolate chip cookies and mixed fruit.

Iíve been making her simple ham and cheese sandwiches. 1 plain slice of bread, 1 slice of thin ham from the store and a slice of cheese. She seems to like it because sheíll usually go ahead and eat it.

Sheís not really eating the fattier foods. She just picks at them except the couple times she felt like a kids meal but even then she only has half.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:17 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Cheese, ham and cookies are not low fat - in fact, they are high. The yogurt too unless it's 0% fat. Turkey, chicken, steamed veggies, baked potato with fat free yogurt. those are the types of foods she should be eating.

Old 09-11-2022, 02:23 AM   #5
    wildcat2000
    (male)

wildcat2000 HB User

She does have chicken and vegetables sometimes but small portions. The yogurt is fat free. Itís the Mini cups.

Old 09-11-2022, 04:31 AM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

If you'll cut out the fat for 2-3 weeks, her upset stomach should go away. Then SLOWLY introduce it back into the diet - like one pat of butter per meal. So no ham & cheese sandwich, etc for at least a month.

Old 09-11-2022, 10:13 PM   #7
    wildcat2000
    (male)

wildcat2000 HB User

I barely noticed the ham label actually says 97% fat free.

She had some chicken and baked potato today but only a few bites.

I really wonder if itís a combination of laying in bed a lot and the gallbladder removal. She had some constipation before. Iím guessing because sheís eating so little.

Old 09-12-2022, 03:56 AM   #8
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well, digestion isn't a good when lying down as sitting up normally. You don't say how old she is but it seems she doesn't have a great appetite in general.

Old 09-12-2022, 10:00 AM   #9
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Titchou...are there digestive enzymes suggested for those without gallbladders?

q

Old 09-12-2022, 02:00 PM   #10
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I was offered meds but was really rigid about sticking to the no fat diet. I did have issues with raw roughage (lettuces, etc.) but it went away. So, no I didn't opt for that. I was only 59 and very active, in great health - runner - ran 2 miles a week after having it out.

Old 09-12-2022, 09:21 PM   #11
    wildcat2000
    (male)

wildcat2000 HB User

Sorry I thought I mentioned her age. She’s 78.

She wasn’t that active before because she has a bad knee but she sat up until going to bed at night.

There’s times she is hungry enough to eat at least 1 thing per meal. As in one course. Like the sandwich but nothing on the side.

It’s really hard to cut out fat because she’s barely eating so when she does feel like it we usually try and accommodate her. Within reason. Nothing spicy or heavy. She does not ask for that anyway and she wants things in small portions already.

Old 09-13-2022, 03:57 AM   #12
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sad to think at only 2 years older than me she's this sedentary. i still mow my grass, clean house, work full time, drive everywhere, etc. Maybe you should talk with her primary care doc about her overall health.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:41 PM   #13
    wildcat2000
    (male)

wildcat2000 HB User

We saw her primary doctor and surgeon about 3 weeks ago.

He had xrays done on the ankle. Said there was a fracture and would use a boot but she’s not walking so they haven’t put it on. I know it’s around 6-8 weeks for stuff like that to heal. It’s been around that long already but I know it depends on the person.

The surgeon said eat whatever you feel like but take it slow and if it doesn’t agree with you stop and try it again later on. She does not feel like much though.

She has arthritis and has needed a knee replacement for awhile but needing the gallbladder removed was unexpected because we were not aware it was bad until symptoms really showed up.

They started giving her Celebrex so we’ll see if that helps. Like I said she’s in a care facility and doesn’t like the food but does not really want much of anything we take her either.

Old 09-14-2022, 12:17 PM   #14
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

How many medications does she take? I ask because I know the average 75 year old person takes 3 or more. And five or more is not uncommon.
    And, as you said, she is 78

Also, as people age, medications are not processed the same and can build up in the blood. So the medications that are supposed to help can actually cause harm. Her kidneys may not be filtering as well as they did when she was younger. So if she hasn't been tested for a while she should have blood work and urine sample taken. This would provide the "estimated glomerular filtration rate." (eGFR).

Old 09-15-2022, 12:22 AM   #15
    wildcat2000
    (male)

wildcat2000 HB User

She takes high blood pressure, bladder control, and UTI medications. She was recently tested for UTI and since sheís been getting them consistently they put her on a low dose antibiotic that you take to daily. Canít remember the name. Also low dose Xanax to help with stress and Tylenol.

Tramadol sometimes but I personally donít like her to have it too often because itís an opioid. Never had any drugs problems before but you hear how people become dependent on them. This is only recently though since hurting the ankle.

The Celebrex I mentioned but it just started.

Reply Reply

« Lithotripsy | - »