It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

Typical recovery for gall bladder surgery

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2003, 07:20 PM   #1
kmacum

kmacum HB User
Post Typical recovery for gall bladder surgery

Hi, I'm new to this board but could really use some advice. Last Friday I had my gall bladder removed laporscopically. The surgeon said my gall bladder was very inflamed and I had to have a drain and spend the night in the hospital.

I went home the next day thinking I would return to work Wednesday but I'm still having quite a bit of discomfort, diarrhea and pain where my gall bladder used to be. It feels like a gall bladder attack but deeper and not as long. Is this normal? I ask because the surgeon said I should be able to bounce right back.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2003, 08:15 PM   #2
audreycwalsh

audreycwalsh HB User
I had mine out 3 years ago. I spent the first week in bed resting. The second week, I felt fine but the simplest of tasks wiped me out and I would have to go home and nap. What made me feel better was sleeping with a couple of pillows under my knees.

The docs had told me that I would be back to work 3 days after my surgery. I truly don't know where they come up with these estimates. Your pain and diarrhea are normal. It can take 6 months to 1 year for your liver to adjust to not having a gallbladder so you may have intermittent diarrhea for that period of time but that does go away eventually.

Best of luck.

[This message has been edited by audreycwalsh (edited 05-01-2003).]

Old 05-01-2003, 08:38 PM   #3
kmacum

kmacum HB User
Thanks so much for validating what I'm going through. I'm feeling horribly guilty about not being at work but if the doctor had said "take a week off" then I would be okay.

One of my employees had this about six years ago and her doctor did tell her to take a week off.

The other thing I'm struggling with is the feeling of being wiped out after just a little work. I'm not in the greatest of shape but was moderately active. Now even just walking up the street a bit wipes me out.

Again, thanks.

Old 05-01-2003, 08:42 PM   #4
audreycwalsh

audreycwalsh HB User
Talking

Expect that. I ended up staying home the second week because of the exhaustion. After the second week, it became easier but I did notice the residual effects up to a month after the surgery.

Old 05-02-2003, 07:14 AM   #5
Cadet Janice

Cadet Janice HB User
I had mine out a month ago and I was up and running around by day 3. Not feeling very good but by the 5th day I was taking long walks. I did suffer from loose bowels but then I adjusted my diet to low fat and I felt better. Now my sister didnt feel better for a few weeks and we both had ours removed by Lap.

Take care and take it easy.

[This message has been edited by Cadet Janice (edited 05-02-2003).]

Old 05-02-2003, 09:56 AM   #6
kmacum

kmacum HB User
I got out more today than I have so far and though I had to make a pit stop in the bookstore, I'm feeling pretty good, though tired. I think gradually working my way back up to a full day of activity seems to be the right direction. I go back to work on Monday, so I have until then to really get back up to speed.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-02-2003, 08:18 PM   #7
tagger
Veteran
(female)

tagger HB User
Don't forget the anesthetic takes it's toll. Not only are you dealing with the discomfort of having you organs shoved around during surgery, it takes quite a while for the anesthetic to clear your system. Hence the fatigue and other side effects....Tagger

Old 05-05-2003, 01:26 PM   #8
rsg
Inactive

rsg HB User
questran is the miracle drug for post chole diarrhea, ask the doc about it, it saves your digestive system from excecss bile acids,cholestrol and lots of rushing to the bathhtoom

Old 05-05-2003, 01:47 PM   #9
rsg
Inactive

rsg HB User
questran is the miracle drug for post chole diarrhea, ask the doc about it, it saves your digestive system from excecss bile acids,cholestrol and lots of rushing to the bathhtoom

Old 05-19-2003, 03:31 PM   #10
mooser316

mooser316 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by tagger:
Don't forget the anesthetic takes it's toll. Not only are you dealing with the discomfort of having you organs shoved around during surgery, it takes quite a while for the anesthetic to clear your system. Hence the fatigue and other side effects....Tagger
I had my gall bladder removed a week ago and I'm still having muscle aches in the back of my neck.

I mean it's not sharp pain just aches and it's off and on but it is enough to get on my nerves.

Otherwise my stomach feels okay. I noticed that when i sleep on my side I feel kinda sore when i wake up. So i guess i should continue sleeping on my back for awhile.

Exactly how long until the anesthesia exits your system? I've heard around a week.....

Old 06-11-2003, 11:33 PM   #11
blackwidow6669

blackwidow6669 HB User
i had mine removed jan 26 and it took me a good month for pain to go away and it still itch today and you cant eat fat , thats why you are runing to bathroom , your gallblader was your fat filter and now you dont got one , so fat you stay under 20 grams and you well do better and it takes a year to stratenup with your body to get use to not having it and spicy food well hurt you too kimbely

Old 06-22-2003, 11:37 AM   #12
bgraywaco

bgraywaco HB User
I had my gall bladder removed last week (Tuesday June 17th). I was scheduled for Laproscopic and they began that way but because of how swollen it was and the onset of infection they had to convert to open I just got home today after spending five days in the hospital.
<P>
I can't relate to your recovery time but mine has been crazy slow so far. Although they made me walk the very next day I still walk slow almost like Ozzy Osbourne style. The pain is finally manageable but I am wearing a Bile Bag for the next 3 weeks so it feels like something tugging on my 8 inch wound that is all stapled up. I havent had any heavy duty fatty foods which I am just planning on avoiding even though the hospital offered me a Hamburger on my final night. I did eat Eggs, 2 pieces of Bacon and a Buttered Biscuit my last day at the Hospital with seemingly no problems. For the most part I am sticking to high fiber cereals and grains, plenty of fruits, some pastas and ham, skinless chicken and roast beef for my meats.
<P>
Im on an antibiotic for the infection and Loratab for the pain while at home. I havent had any diarrhea but I've also only had one bowel movement since my surgery which was the day before I left the hospital. I was told Loratab can cause constipation so I am hoping I don't go the opposite and get that.
<P>
Anyone else on here ever had the open style removal?

------------------
Brian Gray
Former Owner of a Gall Bladder!

Old 06-22-2003, 10:50 PM   #13
purple2067
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
Talking

I also had mine done laproscopically, just about a month ago. My recovery was slower than what I had been told. 1 week and then back to work... yeah, right. It took me 1 week just to be able to stand up straight! For the first 3 or 4 days after surgery I could not get up out of a chair on my own. I had spent 3 days in the hospital prior to the surgery, and I came home on the fifth day. They had already prescribed Morphine for me by IV, because I was having very severe GB attacks while in the hospital (they wouldn't let me eat anything, but they let me have a sip of water and it gave me an attack.) So the night of the surgery, which was done at 4:30pm, they continued to give me the Morphine every 3 hours, and boy did I need it. Then at home they gave me Vicodin, which I only took for the first 2 or 3 days. The pain is different for everyone. My dr had to do a lot more manipulating than normal to get mine out, due to the extremely enlarged size.

For the first week or so I was running to the bathroom with whatever I put in my mouth. But then that began to calm down, and now I am fine. I still make sure that I eat very low fat though. I had been eating low fat for months before the surgery, so I am just keeping up the same diet. My GI doc saw me in the hospital and has always taken excellent care of me, and he is following up with me. Since my liver function tests were extremely elevated in the hospital, he's been checking them. I haven't heard anything from him, so I am assuming they are coming back down to normal.

My surgeon said that he almost had to convert to open, but thankfully he didn't. He said that if we had not done the ERCP beforehand, to clear out all of the debris from my bile duct, there would have been major, major problems and he would have had no choice but to convert to open. My gallbladder was also very badly infected, and was so inflamed that it was stuck to the wall of my small intestine. But I had a fabulous surgeon, and he promised me he would do everything in his power to keep it laproscopic, and he did. I was on oral anti-biotics for 1 week after I came home, for the infection.

Even with the laproscopic surgery, I still felt like crap for the first 2 weeks afterward. I didn't go back to work. (well it's not really work... I was student teaching. They let me come back 2 weeks ago and finish.) I still have muscle pain and get tired easily. My dr said it is 6-8 weeks before you are fully recovered from laproscopic surgery, and longer for me because I had to have a bigger incision to get the GB out through the belly button, and it didn't heal properly. Now that one is healed, but I have still got one more that didn't stop bleeding and had to be cauterized during surgery, so it is taking an extremely long time to heal. I have to wash it with peroxide twice a day. Anybody ever have anything like that?

[This message has been edited by purple2067 (edited 06-23-2003).]

Old 07-03-2003, 07:02 AM   #14
danedon

danedon HB User
Question

I've seen several who complained of diarreah, but wonder if throwing up bile the next day or longer is common? Also, how soon were you off the pain medicine?

------------------
Don

Old 07-03-2003, 08:06 PM   #15
auburn_brat
(female)

auburn_brat HB User
Cool

Hi
I had my gall bladder removed laporscopically Oct. of last year (9months ago), and was off work for
1 month cause of my job duties. I had and still have severe loose bowels with anything I eat and drink. I found milk products like ice cream will really set off diahrrea as well as chocolate, but i still eat it as long as I can be near a bathroom.
With me I had to wait for 3 weeks for surgery because my surgeon was booked, so I had to go to work with gb attacks and throwing up bile 3-4 times a day. After my surgery during recovery, I got rid of alot of bile, but that was due to the anesthetic making me sick. Even for the month that I was off work recovering I was still throwing up bile, but it went away. Everyones recovering time is different. I recently started having pain and tenderness in the area on my right side where the gb was, I am guessing its just muscle. Also, I was told by others thats had gb removals that this could lead to IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), but I dont know how true that is. Anyone hear of this?

Closed Thread