It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• looking for gall bladder survivors--please!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2003, 05:13 PM   #1
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User
    looking for gall bladder survivors--please!

any info that any of you may have on what it felt like, if you needed surgery, and your condition now would be so helpful. i am going to the doctor in the morning, but I want as much info as i can get. i have gotten some info on this board, but the more the better. thank you so much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2003, 11:13 PM   #2
    carebear73

carebear73 HB User
    Re: looking for gall bladder survivors--please!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nyxin
    any info that any of you may have on what it felt like, if you needed surgery, and your condition now would be so helpful. i am going to the doctor in the morning, but I want as much info as i can get. i have gotten some info on this board, but the more the better. thank you so much
    Hi there. Well, lets see... I started having terrible abdominal pain about 8 or 9 years ago. Felt like my stomach was going through a wringer. I went for all sorts of tests, which showed nothing. Sometimes I would be fine for months and sometimes no matter what I ate, I had the pain. In the last 2 years it got much worse. I started belching uncontrollably, had the abdominal pain, pain under my shoulderblade, headaches, nausea, bloated, chills,diarreah after eating. It got to the point where I could not eat anything without getting terribly ill. I also had no energy and was tired all the time and just an ill feeling in general. I finally pushed my doctor into sending me to a surgeon after suggesting I had a feeling it was my gallbladder. The surgeon sent me for a hida scan and my gallbladder did not fill up at all. She gave me the option of having surgery suggesting it would be a good idea but it was up to me. After years of suffering, I opted for the surgery. I had it done 5 weeks ago. I can honestly say, I feel great. I haven't felt like this for years. I wasn't able to eat things right away. I stuck to a low fat diet for 4 weeks so it has really only been a week since I have been able to eat whatever I want. The surgeon gave me the all clear last week so I went home and ordered pizza and had a glass of eggnog. The last glass of eggnog I had made me curled up on the floor sick for an unbelievable 24 hours. It is so nice to be able to eat or drink something without getting any of those symptoms. Sometimes I still think I will get them because I dealt with it for so long it was almost normal to me to get the abdominal pain. I did have my doubts as to if I did the right thing or not right after the surgery because I would still feel fairly sick. But as time has gone by, I really feel like a new person. Sometimes I still get a little queasy.. but I think it is my body adjusting. What symptoms have you been having and for how long? Have you had any tests or anything? Just make sure you have a good doctor who listens to you so you don't have to spend years waiting to find out what it is. I wish you all the best. I don't know what else I could mention. There are a bunch of people on here that could let you know about their gb stories. Anyways, I am glad I had it out.. that's all I can say. What symptoms do you have that make you think it is your gallbladder? I am assuming that is what it is. Just listen to your body. You know it best. :-)

Old 11-20-2003, 06:45 AM   #3
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Re: looking for gall bladder survivors**please!

hello and thanks for that info! for the last 6 months i have been having health issues. i had some complications from pregnancy and a colon infection, they thought it was my appendix. everything was fine untill i recently did a colon cleanse. now i feel sick all the time, like i am going to throw up at any moment, feel like i am going to have the runs, and sometimes do. there is a yellow tinge to it. i have an annoying pain under my rib cage on the right side. i had a cbc done and that was good, but now they are going to teat for thyroid and gall bladder. i have just had so much trouble that i can't bear the thought of having to be in the hospital again. it makes me very anxious, i am on meds for that too now. thanks for your story, i am glad you are doing so well, congrats!

Last edited by moderator4; 11-23-2003 at 09:45 AM.

Old 11-23-2003, 11:28 AM   #4
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

[quote removed]

i will have to try the olive oil (i don't get indigestion) i am still awating test results, blood work that is to see if it is my gall bladder. on monday i have to get a very unpleasant procedure done that i am really freaked out about. i don't know what else this nagging annoying pain would be, my mom thinks it's a hernia, but i just had an ultrasound for that which showed nothing. i wouldn't be so nutz about this if i didn't have a colon infection a couple of months ago. we shall see.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-23-2003 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Do not quote or reply to message that violate the posting guidelines. Please report such messages. Thank you.

Old 11-23-2003, 08:35 PM   #5
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pastafigioli
    ________________________________________ ____________________________

Hello Nyxin,

I answered your post in my "Looking for Katie G" column on 11-21-2003, 12:50 PM. I don't know if you've read it, if not, go there. I've explained my post op to GB removal and some of my prior symptoms.

Would that unpleasant procedure happen to be a colonoscopy? Which is good to have done in your case. The only real good test to see if it's your GB, is a Nuclear Test (Hida Scan) That test specifically checks to see if your GB is functioning correctly. My first ultrasound showed nothing either, the surgeon I was sent to ordered a second ultrasound, (at a different testing center) and that showed my GB was full of tiny stones, and sludge.

I'm sorry your going through all this torment, and discomfort.. I understand that all to well. I know how scary it is when you don't know what's wrong...
    NEVER GIVE UP!

You will get to the bottom of this sooner or later. I hope you have good Dr's that listen!
    Sandy
    hi sandy,
    no the procedure is a barium enema! omg the prep for it sucks so bad. i know this doesn't have anything to do with a gall bladder, but they are checking out my colon thing first. i have a feeling this is going to be a very long process! i will go check out your other reply, thanks so much.

Last edited by nyxin; 11-23-2003 at 08:35 PM.

Old 11-25-2003, 07:16 PM   #6
    Pastafigioli
    (female)

Pastafigioli HB User

Quote:
    hi sandy,
    no the procedure is a barium enema! omg the prep for it sucks so bad. i know this doesn't have anything to do with a gall bladder, but they are checking out my colon thing first. i have a feeling this is going to be a very long process! i will go check out your other reply, thanks so much.
    Hi nyxin,
    Yes a barium enema is a very unpleasant proceedure. How did you make out with it? Are you ok? Were any results explained to you yet? I'm surprised they did the barium test before a colonoscopy? Hope to hear from you
    Sandy

Old 11-25-2003, 07:56 PM   #7
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pastafigioli
    Hi nyxin,
    Yes a barium enema is a very unpleasant proceedure. How did you make out with it? Are you ok? Were any results explained to you yet? I'm surprised they did the barium test before a colonoscopy? Hope to hear from you
    Sandy
    hey there, you will have to read my post "just had a barium enema" i do not know the results yet. i have to get a small bowel series next monday, and my appt is on the 4th with the doctor. i have had lots of blood work done and everything is perfect, but does that rule out serious illness? i am freakin' right now. that test sucked. they arn't doing all this because of a possible gall bladder problem, it's because of a seious colon infection i had after my son was born. i don't know if i mentioned that. i still have the ache by my rib cage, so i just don't know what to think.

Old 11-26-2003, 03:26 PM   #8
    LADYKATFISH

LADYKATFISH HB User

[QUOTE=nyxin]any info that any of you may have on what it felt like, if you needed surgery, and your condition now would be so helpful. i am going to the doctor in the morning, but I want as much info as i can get. i have gotten some info on this board, but the more the better. thank you so much[/QUOTE

I am new to this and this is the reason why...In 1994 I had started having what i thought was bad gas in my chest and side and it would not go away. Prior to this feeling, I had had a few episodes where i would be nauseaus and vomit, but not often. After three or more days suffering from these supposed gas pains, I finally gave in and went to the doctor. After my Internal Medicine physician examined me, he said there were several possible problems, one being an aortic aneurism because he heard a burr when listening to my heart and the other was the gall bladder. He ordered an upper GI and an abdominal ultrasound. The upper GI showed reflux disease and the ultrasound showed gallstones in my gall bladder. He then referred me to a surgeon who showed me the ultrasound results and said the best treatment was surgery and that if I did not elect the surgery now, I would probably be in the ER for a more invasive surgery. After careful consideration, i decided to have the surgery done by laproscopy. The surgery went well and was on my feet by the next day. However, after the first meal, I felt an uncontrollable urge to use the bathroom, one that could not be denied <for lack of a better way of wording it without being crass>. Figuring this was the result of the surgery and not thinking it would last long, I continued to do this for several days and with much pain before going to the bathroom. After a couple of weeks, however, this urgent need to relieve myself did not go away and I was losing weight. Which, in itself, is not a bad thing, but that's not my choice of a weight loss program...lol. I went to see my doctor about this and was told there was something called "dump syndrome" after gall bladder surgeries and was likely to go away within the year. Well, I was a bit disheartened to say the least. My condition continued, and I got to the point that eating was an unpleasant venture because I knew I would be in the bathroom if not before I finished eating, very soon afterwards. That was almost 10 years ago, and to this day, I still have problems, though different now as I now fluctuate between diarrhea and constipation. As you may imagine, social activities and road trips are always a source of anxiety for me as there aren't many bathrooms to access at the snap of a finger. Just thought I would pass this on, and there's more to tell, but feel I am rattling on. Suffice it to say, any alternative to surgery is the best way to go for gallbladder disease in my opinion.

Old 11-26-2003, 03:56 PM   #9
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wow Lady. that is awful. is there nothing you can do to correct this? does immodium help? i am sure you have tried. thank you so much for your cander and honesty. i wish i could help you in some way, just know i will be thinking about you, and i will let everyone know when i get my test results.

Old 11-27-2003, 06:12 AM   #10
    LADYKATFISH

LADYKATFISH HB User

[QUOTE=nyxin]wow Lady. that is awful. is there nothing you can do to correct this? does immodium help? i am sure you have tried. thank you so much for your cander and honesty. i wish i could help you in some way, just know i will be thinking about you, and i will let everyone know when i get my test results.

[/QUOTE

Hiya Angel, and yes it is awful. I have tried everything and am on xanax for anxiety so that helps a bit. Have had a colonoscopy which was clear. Immodium helped for a while, but has no effect anymore. I pray your test results are good and that whatever you are suffering from can be corrected with medication. Have a great Thanksgiving and God Bless.

Barb

Old 11-27-2003, 07:12 AM   #11
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

[QUOTE=LADYKATFISH]
    Quote:
    wow Lady. that is awful. is there nothing you can do to correct this? does immodium help? i am sure you have tried. thank you so much for your cander and honesty. i wish i could help you in some way, just know i will be thinking about you, and i will let everyone know when i get my test results.

[/QUOTE

Hiya Angel, and yes it is awful. I have tried everything and am on xanax for anxiety so that helps a bit. Have had a colonoscopy which was clear. Immodium helped for a while, but has no effect anymore. I pray your test results are good and that whatever you are suffering from can be corrected with medication. Have a great Thanksgiving and God Bless.

Barb
    thank you so much for the kind words and i pray every day that i am ok. i am on Xanax too if i have not mentioned that before. i will pray for you as well. happy thanks giving to you too....::hug:::

Closed Thread