It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Big Problems After Gallbladder Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2004, 12:09 PM   #1
    carebear73

carebear73 HB User
    Red face Big Problems After Gallbladder Surgery

Sorry for the long post here but I don't know what to do or what I have. I had gallbladder surgery in October 2003. I have had problems ever since. I was wondering if anyone has some input to what this might be. Frequently I have been waking up with a really bad stomach ache in the early morning. Usually between 5 and 8 am. This has happened about 5 or 6 times since the surgery. It usually only lasts about 10 to 15 minutes and leaves as quickly as it comes. I take gaviscon to relieve the pain, which helps for the most part. On Saturday I woke up with the pain, but it continued to last all day. I was at work and the pain was so excruciating, I was almost in tears. I feel it at the top of my abdomen moreso on the right side where my gallbladder was. It's a very sharp, sometimes stabbing pain. Sometimes it feels like a tight belt across my abdomen and it goes around my right side into my back. It has felt achy for the past two days after that bad attack. It's not too bad when I eat but after a couple hours I get it again. I don't know if it could be an ulcer... or possibly hiatal hernia or gastritis. It does feel swollen on the top right side and it is tender to the touch. It has been tender to the touch ever since my surgery. I have been to the doctor and she thinks it was muscle inflammation but also suggested an ulcer or gastritis. I also get this cold sensation when I drink something cold. I can feel it go down and then sometimes go to the right where my gb used to be. Sometimes I don't drink anything and I just get this cold sensation in that area and down my right side. This really scares me. I do belch ALOT. Constantly! I have been having alot of loose stool movement the past 3 days as well. Sometimes 4 or 5 a day. I am on medication for ulcers and gastritis. Acid reducer. It has not helped any.. other than the fact that I am not getting reflux anymore... Right now.. it just aches and is sore in that upper right area. I had an ultrasound and nothing showed up. I see a gastroenterologist next month but I don't think I can wait that long. I have been waiting a long time for my stomach problems to end which I thought gb surgery would have. I don't get pain after I eat or feel nauseated anymore, but I never had these problems before my surgery. My back always seems sore on the right side and it feels like the muscle is tight and it feels good when I rub it and next to the top incision site has always been sore. I don't know what to do. I have also had really bad gas for the past 3 days. Has anyone experienced this? Or anything alike? I am getting really scared and can't get to see the doctor until later in the week. Sorry for the long post. Can someone please offer ANY advice whatsoever? Thank you so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2004, 12:51 PM   #2
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
    Smile Re: Big Problems After Gallbladder Surgery

Deleted Quote -- not needed

Hi carebear. So sorry for your post-op troubles. I really can't offer any advice for your problems, but just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you and hoping you find relief soon. It's so discouraging to have surgery to supposedly take care of a problem situation, and then the surgery causes another problem instead.

After GB surgery, I did not have the pain you're describing, just severe and chronic diarrhea called bile salt diarrhea. I could give advice to you related to that problem (since I've found relief for it), but am sorry I have no answers for your pain.

Thinking of you,
    Katie G

Last edited by moderator4; 01-07-2004 at 10:03 PM.

Old 01-05-2004, 04:11 PM   #3
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User
    Re: Big Problems After Gallbladder Surgery

Carebear im sorry to hear that your still having problems.Some of the symptoms you are describing sound very similar to mine.Going on 9 months now i was having a gnawing burning feeling on my upper right side right on the ribcage under the breast.I had it off and on going on 9 months ,im still having it but the symptoms are changing somewhat.Now it is not so much a gnawing pain ,as it is an achy sore like pain.Sometimes the pain will go around to my shoulderblade.The pain is now 24/7.Ive also noticed that the pain is less when i dont eat any food at all.And milk seems to help it somewhat.Whatever it is it seems to be progressing.The pain will flare up for a few hrs then subside long enough for me to get a couple hrs of sleep.Now its starting to wake me up out of my sleep around 4 or 5am.Im afraid to eat hardly anything.What im really concerned about is, that i think i might have developed an ulcer while there doing a battery of tests.My doctor called and ordered a prescription called levaquin for me.I looked up the info on it and ,i dont seem to have any symptoms for what the drug is used for.Not to mention the list of side effects scaring the heck out of me.If your pain gets too bad i would go to the emergency room ,and they will do tests right on the spot.Im going to try the new med and if it doesnt help,i might be makng a trip to the er myself.Maybe they'll listen to what i say there.Im afraid by the time the doctors do listen to me i'll have either gastritis or a full blown ulcer.I sure hope we dont have the same problem.
    Good luck on your next doctor visit.Take care.

Old 01-07-2004, 02:44 PM   #4
    carebear73

carebear73 HB User

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply Katie G. I appreciate your kindness.. It means alot to me.
    Suzyshop1.. I am beginning to believe that it might be an ulcer as well. I also think it might be a hernia. I don't know the symptoms of a hiatal hernia.. anyone who does? It still hurts like heck. It's like something is there.. I can feel it.. it hurts if I press on it.. I did have two bouts of costochondritis last year.. so it is possible that it might be muscle related.. I did check out the post on the liver board about right rib pain.. and it was very interesting. I just don't want to be written off by the doctors.. It took me 9 years to get a diagnosis for my gallbladder and I am surely not waiting another 9. Suzy, I hope you find someone who will listen to you. I know how frustrating it can be..

Old 01-07-2004, 04:50 PM   #5
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Thanks so much Carebear for your kind words.I hope that soon you too will find out what your problem is .Take care

Old 01-10-2004, 08:39 AM   #6
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

hello ladies,
    i just wanted to see how you are doing. i think that there is way more to this gallbladder thing than just taking it out. i have been reading on here and it seems that about 50% of the people on here have major problems ethier from the bile duct still causing problems or the body not responding to the absence of the gallbladder. there is a gentleman on this board named "harry" he know a lot and could maybe help you, he is helping me right now.

one thing i think we all have to ask ourselves is "how much is anxiety that may be causing this?" i do NOT doubt your pain because i have some too, but i know that i have been constantly fearing this being something fatal and therefore thinking the worst has the pain in the main focus in my life. i am on anxiety meds that are helping alot, or at leat making it so i can think rationally. just a thought.
    C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2004, 06:23 PM   #7
    MISSYFIT45

MISSYFIT45 HB User

[QUOTE=carebear73]Sorry for the long post here but I don't know what to do or what I have. I had gallbladder surgery in October 2003. I have had problems ever since.

Hello Carebear,
    I haven't been on here since a couple of weeks getting my gallbaladder out in October too. I have been experiencing some of those same pains too. I am not having the swelling, but I am getting these attacks that go across the front of me and they really can be terrible. I can't bear to do anything when it comes on, and it will last about 15 to 20 minutes. I have not told my doctor because my mother thinks it nerves and I am also going thru menopause.I hope you feel better let me know what you doctors says.
    Missyfit

Last edited by moderator4; 02-20-2004 at 10:24 PM.

Old 02-23-2004, 05:32 PM   #8
    carebear73

carebear73 HB User

[QUOTE=MISSYFIT45]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carebear73
    Sorry for the long post here but I don't know what to do or what I have. I had gallbladder surgery in October 2003. I have had problems ever since.

Hello Carebear,
    I haven't been on here since a couple of weeks getting my gallbaladder out in October too. I have been experiencing some of those same pains too. I am not having the swelling, but I am getting these attacks that go across the front of me and they really can be terrible. I can't bear to do anything when it comes on, and it will last about 15 to 20 minutes. I have not told my doctor because my mother thinks it nerves and I am also going thru menopause.I hope you feel better let me know what you doctors says.
    Missyfit
    Hi Missyfit45
    Sorry to hear what you are going through. I know that pain. I went to the gastroenterologist and she thinks I am having spasms. She says it takes about a year to get your digestive system back to normal after gb surgery. I have had only 1 (knock on wood) attack in the past 3 weeks. So I have been feeling pretty good. I am guessing maybe you might have spasms as well. I do not think it is nerves... but I'm sure it could contribute to it. I really think you should see your doctor about this. I know how painful it can be. Mine lasts about the same amount of time and then goes away as fast as it came on. It is usually achy in that area after it happens. I hope this is some help to you. My gastro doc prescribed me some sort of liquid medication that can help with the spasms. Something about the bile irritating the gut... This is supposed to help with that. I haven't got it filled yet.. I hope you feel better soon. I really hope you go to your doctor about it. It would probably also help make you feel better just knowing that it could be spasms. I know it did with my and I have general anxiety disorder. Let me know how everything turns out. Best of luck!

Old 02-23-2004, 07:50 PM   #9
    hallmatt
    (male)

hallmatt HB User

I had my GB out about 2.5 weeks ago. 1 weeks after operation, met for follow up with surgeon. I had a few minor episodes of the "pressure on the inside" on my left side even after surgery. He said 4-6 weeks is what it normally takes. It subsided a lot, then just today again it seems back. Been sore mostly on the left side. Seems to move from shoulder, down to heart area, down to left stomach, down to the intensine. Today it's down by intestine at the lower ribs again. Grrr, how annoying. Hopefully the surgeon is right and I'm still in the 4-6 week healing window. But it just seems like I've gone through that and the left-sided symptoms are back again.

Always been left-sided with a little on the right. GB autopsy confirmed that the GB was chronically inflamed. I'm just starting to wonder... was the GB merely a symptom of something else? Maybe that "something else" caused the GB to go back, and while it needed to come out, maybe the "something else" is what really needs to get fixed. Or maybe the "something else" was what caused everything, and finding the GB problem was just luck.

Anybody hear of that before? A "something else" that causes the GB to go bad?

Old 04-07-2004, 06:30 PM   #10
    elizabep

elizabep HB User

I am going through something similar. Two weeks after I had my gallbladder removed the pain returned. My GI suggested spincter of oddi dysfunction. My information is still limited on this condition so I do not want to misinform you. Keep you posted.

Old 04-07-2004, 06:36 PM   #11
    elizabep

elizabep HB User

Katie G

How did you get rid of Dirreah after gallbladder removal?

Old 04-07-2004, 06:45 PM   #12
    hallmatt
    (male)

hallmatt HB User

Thanks for the reply. That might actually be in the area. I'm getting what feels like strong hunger pangs now, about 7 weeks after GB removal. The lower "pressure below bottom ribs" is gone though. Now it's a lot more central, usually a little left or a little right on the inside bones of my rib cage near my stomach. It's certainly a lot more bearable now, I go whole days without noticing it. I mostly notice it when I get hungry. It seems stomach related now for sure. And like bottom of stomach. So SOD could be it.

I have a family Dr appointment in 2 days just to review the symptoms. Unfortunately, right now I'm also under a lot of stress. My wife has some sort of "shadowy" area on a kidney Xray that they took based on blood in urine. The urologist says that it's very possible that she could find nothing during the scope. We get the urine cytology results tomorrow, hoping they'll be negative so at least we can go into the scope hoping for the best. She's only 29, so a rare form of kidney cancer just seems like a reach. So anyway, whatever's left over of my issues I couldn't really care less about at this point.

Let me know if you hear anything more about your situation and I'll do the same!

Old 04-11-2004, 11:47 PM   #13
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Hallmatt how did your wife makeout,did they find out about that shadowy area on her kidney.Hope everything turned out ok.Take care. :

Old 04-12-2004, 08:40 AM   #14
    hallmatt
    (male)

hallmatt HB User

My Dr thinks my issues might be GERD or IBS. He suggested more fiber and to take OTC acid reducers to see if either helps.

My wife had her cystoscopy with retrograde test on Friday. Basically a cystoscopy where they then go up the ureter to the kidney with a camera. The Urologist who performed the procedure found nothing remarkable! It seems like it's just an anatomical abnormality. The urine cytology report from the week before also came back normal so it seems like the microscopic hematuria is probably one of the 1/3 cases where there's just no explanation.

My stomach issues are already much better. I think the stress from worrying about my wife contributed to it a lot.

Old 04-12-2004, 08:56 AM   #15
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
    Smile Re: Big Problems After Gallbladder Surgery

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elizabep
    Katie G

How did you get rid of Dirreah after gallbladder removal?

Hi there - you'll see my story posted a lot on these boards, so I won't go into major detail now. I found out about a drug called Colestid on this message board and how it can help control the explosive, urgent, and often times uncontrollable diarrhea (called bile salt diarrhea) from GB removal. It's actually a drug for lowering cholesterol, but it can also cause constipation, and therefore works well for those suffering bile salt diarrhea. I take 2 pills every a.m. and my stools are formed or soft formed; the only time I've gotten diarrhea has been from a viral infection. I was having urgent liquid or soupy diarrhea up to 10 times a day (sometimes 4 bouts in 20 minutes time) until I started Colestid over a year ago. I think I've had diarrhea maybe 5 times TOTAL in the last year and a half.

A word of caution here - I'm not talking about occasional loose stools after GB removal related to greasy or fatty foods; bile salt diarrhea is much different than garden variety diarrhea. Bile salt diarrhea will occur during or shortly after meals of any kind,on a daily basis, is explosive, urgent, and does not often cause the typical cramping pain of diarrhea. It will be soupy or pure liquid, often bright yellow or tan in color. I don't mean to be gross here, but you need to know that Colestid should not be prescribed unless you truly have bile salt diarrhea.

Do some web searches on Colestid and bile salt diarrhea to see if you think it might work for you. Some doctors will not prescribe it except for lowering cholesterol, so be sure to take in information to your doc to show why it will help for GB related diarrhea. My doctor had never heard of using Colestid for bile salt diarrhea, but believes in it now, and prescribes it for others with GB removal problems.

Good luck and keep me posted,
    Katie G

Closed Thread