It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• carebear 73, katie g and others who had chronic gallbladder disease please read in

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2004, 07:15 PM   #1
    Beethoven_00

Beethoven_00 HB User
    carebear 73, katie g and others who had chronic gallbladder disease please read in

Hi there
    I had my gallbladder removed seven days back and a couple days back got the pathology report saying that all layers were inflamed with fibrosis. I was diagnosied as having cholesterolosis and chronic cholystitis. Like both katie g, who I have never coresponded with and Carebear 73 who I have coresponded with, it was in the absense of stones, even though mine did contain some cholesterol crystals in the form of a polyp. Anyways I suffered symptoms daily for abot 4 years from age 15 onwards as my problems got progressively worse. I believe this too is very similar to both your stories in the fact it got worse as time went on. I am, however, still suffering after surgery with nausea made worse by eating. I know Carebear at first you didn't know if you made the right decision because you still felt pretty much the same, however it did get better in time, am I right, even though you do still suffer from some unfortunate problems? And Katie G developed other things such as bile salt disease and GERD among other things, but I have heard you say you really noticed a difference after surgery, was this right away? I know I am just too panicked by not having seen a huge improvement yet and I can concede that it will take time to heal, however, I am still waiting and could use some extra insight from two people and anyone else who suffered from chronic gallbladder disease, not just acute attacks. How was your nausea/general quesy feeling level before and after surgery? Did it just go away one day or how did it diminish? Since I have been chronically ill so long does it take a while for my brain to take notice? Are there underlying conditions that may account for this. I don't believe it's stomach acid as I take prevacid for that and I am trying some presciption anti-nauseant medication with little success. I know carebear you've told me it took you a while to feel better I am just looking for extra reassurance i guess. Thanks to anyone who can respond to this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2004, 10:47 AM   #2
    carebear73

carebear73 HB User
    Re: carebear 73, katie g and others who had chronic gallbladder disease please read in

Hi there.. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I didn't notice an improvement right after my surgery but I think that is because I was on a low fat diet right after. I stayed on it for 4 weeks. I had gas for about 6 or 7 days... Alot around my shoulder area.. which scared me alot.. but it eventually dissappated. I did have nausea for over a week.. It might have even been as long as 2 weeks.. I honestly don't recall but it was at least one week. I suffered with chronic gallbladder disease for almost 9 years.. way too long in my opinion. I have the same question you addressed.. about having been ill for so long does it take your brain a long time to notice... Sometimes I think I will still get the pain. I don't believe it's stomach acid either.. however I have noticed I have reflux now.. and I never used to very often at all. My question is.. if someone suffers for a long time with gb problems.. I wonder what the chances are that something else doesn't develop? I don't have anymore pain after I eat, no nausea, no general ill feeling, no headaches, and no pain under my shoulderblade. That, I am thankful for. But I have developed something else that I never had before. And in all honesty, I would rather have the gb pain. I get terrible stomach aches that wake me up in the morning. Sharp, piercing pain that starts above my navel and moves up at the top of my abdomen. Like a spasm of some sort almost. It wraps around my ribs into my back, and it is very painful. I take gaviscon and it relieves it within 10 to 15 minutes, and then I am fine. My stomach gurgles after this happens. It is still sore to the touch at the top incision site, and an achy pain under my rib where my gb was. Part of me wonders since I have generalized anxiety disorder, if my mind is trying to focus on "health issues" or make them up so I don't have to deal with certain things.. and then I think.. there is no way that this is all in my head. I only get that pain in the morning.. between 5 and 9 am. Not every day... more like 1 to 3 times every 2 weeks. I see a gastroenterologist next month. I am still belching like crazy. It has been suggested to me that I have an ulcer or gastritis. I do wake up with extreme hunger sometimes.. but I don't have nausea. Some people take a longer time to heal than others.. My uncle had his gb removed laproscopically and he said it took him almost a year to feel back to normal. I'm sure everything will heal in time.. It is major abdominal surgery. I know with something like this, at times it is hard to be patient because we figure this should solve all of our problems. My nausea was terrible before my surgery... and right after.. I thought maybe they didn't really take it out. But it did get better. Just give it some time. You had it done 7 days ago? I felt alot better by day 10.. and then even better at 2 weeks. It seemed to get better in 3 day increments. I hope I helped with your questions.. and I hope things get better for you. I will be thinking of you. *hug*
    Carebear

Last edited by carebear73; 01-26-2004 at 11:02 AM.

Old 01-26-2004, 12:04 PM   #3
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
    Smile Re: carebear 73, katie g and others who had chronic gallbladder disease please read in

Hi there - so sorry for your troubles. I have to say that I noticed a big difference right away. I had quite a bit of post-op pain, but the chronic ache or severe stabbing pain in my upper right quadrant was GONE!!!! I mean, I could really tell a difference right away. The nausea and loss of appetite was also over after surgery.

Yes, I did develop bile salt diarrhea after surgery, and have since had great control with Colestid. I also had a history of GERD prior to surgery, which worsened after surgery, but that too is another story. My digestive system is basically a mess, but I've learned how to deal.

I'm so sorry you're not feeling too well afterwards. I was ready to turn cartwheels (if I could) within a week after surgery. I finally felt GOOD again - I only suffered with the chronic stuff for about a year before it was taken out. I'm so sorry that you've gone for 4 years prior to surgery. I do hope you'll be feeling better soon. I'll be praying for you!

Katie G

Last edited by moderator4; 01-26-2004 at 01:23 PM.

Old 01-26-2004, 03:42 PM   #4
    Beethoven_00

Beethoven_00 HB User
    Re: carebear 73, katie g and others who had chronic gallbladder disease please read in

Thanks so much for the responses both carebear 73 and katie g. Carebear I am so sad to see that you are suffereing from post operative troubles. Especially after hearing your story I was quite worried that I too would develop something as well after surgery, however, instead things seem to be pretty much the same. I don't think it is in your head, thats just a great way for doctors to dismiss you when they can't find an immediate cause. I am feeling a tad less nauseous today so I hope it is a sign of things to come. I too wonder if living with gb desease for so long and at such a young age could have led to other problems developing. I can imagine that it is hard to believe the pain is really gone, I myself have been conditioned to feel quite ill after every meal for 4 years, so I am just hoping that over time it will stop. I too have a lot of anxiety. Carebear do you take medication for your anxiety and if so does it seem to help? I get so depressed and anxious at times its almost unbearable. Though I do believe that this anxiety and depression comes from being sick for so long. Who knows if you would have developed GAD had you been completely healthy the last 10 years or so. I really hope that your post surgery problems will be something they can fix. It's so tough going back to doctors with more problems after surgery. I always feel like they must be thinking "him again" and I am so afraid of being labelled as crazy. I can't imagine how scary it must be. I will however be tracking those three day increments and hoping for the best. Thanks so much for the encouragement and you will be in my prayers.

Beethoven

Old 02-05-2004, 03:29 AM   #5
    cutecaterer

cutecaterer HB User

Hi all. Thanks for your stories. I'm having my gall bladder removed and having a Nissen Fundoplication done at the same time on Feb. 19 and I'm scared to pieces! I have a wonderful surgeon and he explained all of the mechanics of the procedure. I'm franticaly looking for what to expect after surgery. Pain, swelling, gas, eating..... Do any of you know of anyone who's had both of the procedures done at the same time? Thanks so much for and information and your time.

Old 02-06-2004, 03:08 PM   #6
    MarySue103

MarySue103 HB User

hi! I'm new here so may not be doing this right. Had HIDA Scan yesterday. When they gave me the shot to contract the gallbladder, I had severe pain each time they injected it in lower left of abdomen under my ribs. This is same place I have been having pain. Is this a normal reaction?

Old 02-09-2004, 09:23 AM   #7
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Smile Re: carebear 73, katie g and others who had chronic gallbladder disease please read in

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutecaterer
    Hi all. Thanks for your stories. I'm having my gall bladder removed and having a Nissen Fundoplication done at the same time on Feb. 19 and I'm scared to pieces! I have a wonderful surgeon and he explained all of the mechanics of the procedure. I'm franticaly looking for what to expect after surgery. Pain, swelling, gas, eating..... Do any of you know of anyone who's had both of the procedures done at the same time? Thanks so much for and information and your time.

Hi there - I'll be praying for you. I've had both procedures done, but not at the same time. My GB removal was 1997, and even though I developed Barrett's esophagus by 1999, I waited until 2001 to have the Nissan done. I won't re-print my story here since I've posted it before somewhere in these message boards.

Wow - both surgeries together sound like a lot. But both can be done laproscopically and if your surgeon is comfortable with the procedures, you'll come out fine. Be sure to research the procedures thoroughly so you know what to expect.

Keep me posted on your outcome ok? I'll be thinking of you on the 19th ~

Katie G

Old 02-09-2004, 09:26 AM   #8
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarySue,

Hi there - I had the same pain during my hida scan with the CCK - a severe stabbing pain right up under my ribs (which is how all my GB "attacks" felt too) along with severe nausea. Even though my hida scan reading/results were considered "normal", my surgeon could justify surgery by the pain elicited during the procedure. Turns out my GB was severely inflamed and covered in scar tissue.

So "normal" results don't always mean everything is ok - your pain during the procedure is an indication of something wrong.

Keep us posted on what your doctor says.

Katie G

Last edited by moderator4; 02-09-2004 at 01:15 PM.

Old 02-09-2004, 12:16 PM   #9
    MarySue103

MarySue103 HB User

Thank you for information. My family Doctor is the one who ordered both a sonogram, which turned out normal and then the HIDA I am still awaiting results from it. I just want this pain to be gone. Will let you know when I know.

Old 02-19-2004, 09:43 AM   #10
    maak823
    Inactive

maak823 HB User

Dear Cutecaterer-

you don't state your age, but I thought that the Nissen procedure was more commonly done in children- I could be wrong though. I have had the gall bladder surgery and can tell you that you will be sore for about a month. You will experience bloating and possibly some gas pain in your chest/ back / and shoulders- this is from the gas that they use to "inflate" you so that they can see what they are doing with the laprascope. You also may experience constipation from the anesthetic / pain killers that they will give you. You may have a longer recovery time due to having the Nissin procedure at the same time. I think most who have the gall bladder surgery experience diaherrea for a while after the surgery- but you can avoid it somewhat by eating foods that are low in fat.

Good luck to you tomorrow- I hope that you can find someone who has been through both procedures at once!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutecaterer

Closed Thread