It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Gall Bladder?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-19-2004, 06:34 PM   #1
    Nitehawk
    (male)

Nitehawk HB User
    Gall Bladder?

After years of pain in the Gall Bladder area and many, many test I have finally found a Doctor who says he thinks my GB needs to come out. My Family Doc refered me to him as she has pretty much given up on me and my constant RUQ pain. The General Surgeon who will remove my GB based his assesment on my reaction to the CCK portion of the three Hida Scans I've had. CCK pretty much puts me into a GB attack that last about 15 minutes. The pain has gotten to the point were it's constant ranging from about a 4 all the way to 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. Funny thing is, some foods bring it on one time and the next time I eat the same food, nothing. One thing that will cause the pain almost everytime is physical exertion. It causes this tight feeling with burning pain right where the GB is located.

Now I am a little apprehensive as I have had Two Internal Med. Doctors and two GI Doctors tell me it's not my Gall Bladder. I think my Family Doctor referred me to this new Doctor because she knew he would remove my GB. I am affraid it will come out and I will end up the same or worse.
    Thanks for listening anyone else who has been down this road, please feel free to jump in here.
    Nitehawk

Last edited by Nitehawk; 04-20-2004 at 11:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2004, 02:18 PM   #2
    Nitehawk
    (male)

Nitehawk HB User
    Re: Gall Bladder?

Hmmmmm, I've got more replies from an RV site than I have here. No inputs at all here.
    Thanks,
    Nitehawk

Old 04-21-2004, 02:00 PM   #3
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
    Smile Re: Gall Bladder?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nitehawk
    After years of pain in the Gall Bladder area and many, many test I have finally found a Doctor who says he thinks my GB needs to come out. My Family Doc refered me to him as she has pretty much given up on me and my constant RUQ pain. The General Surgeon who will remove my GB based his assesment on my reaction to the CCK portion of the three Hida Scans I've had. CCK pretty much puts me into a GB attack that last about 15 minutes. The pain has gotten to the point were it's constant ranging from about a 4 all the way to 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. Funny thing is, some foods bring it on one time and the next time I eat the same food, nothing. One thing that will cause the pain almost everytime is physical exertion. It causes this tight feeling with burning pain right where the GB is located.

Now I am a little apprehensive as I have had Two Internal Med. Doctors and two GI Doctors tell me it's not my Gall Bladder. I think my Family Doctor referred me to this new Doctor because she knew he would remove my GB. I am affraid it will come out and I will end up the same or worse.
    Thanks for listening anyone else who has been down this road, please feel free to jump in here.
    Nitehawk

Hey there nitehawk - sorry no one's replied yet. I can't speak for you, but I do know I went through the same kind of stuff you did with the gall bladder and had a SEVERE pain reaction to the CCK too. The ejection fracture was "normal", the GB ultrasounds were "normal", etc., etc. My surgeon ordering all the GB tests believed it was my gall bladder even though the test results were "normal." Meanwhile, I was in severe pain and nausea pretty much with anything I ate or drank. One day at work, I was doubled over for about 30 minutes just from drinking 3 oz. of orange juice!!! Eventually even water set off a reaction, so my doc/surgeon knew it was my gall bladder. The 2nd opinion (who did no testing, just talked about my symptoms and felt/poked around a little) said it was also my gall bladder. When the surgeon opened me up, he said my GB was severely inflamed and covered in scar tissue. He didn't really know how it had continued to function.

So, in a nutshell, I can say my problems (except for developing bile salt diarrhea) were gone with GB removal. I can't guarantee yours will be, but I guess you really can't feel any worse with it in, can you? Ultimately, it's your decision - read through the archived topics here for others' reactions to surgery/recovery, post-op problems, etc. and make an informed decision.

Good luck to you and keep us posted,
    Katie G

Closed Thread