It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Gallbladder Attack???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2004, 05:38 PM   #1
    candigirl21
    (female)

candigirl21 HB User
    Unhappy Gallbladder Attack???

I was wondering if anyone who has had a gallbladder attack could tell me what it feels like, what their symptoms were?? I went to the er on 3/10..they thought it was my gallbladder but they did blood work and an ultrasound and found nothing. I have had this dull ache on my right side for the past 3 days..not quite the upper right area though..kinda like where u would get a side ache if u ran to fast. It's not painful..kinda tender and when I lay down it feels like a knot is inside..no sharp pain. I'm wondering if maybe I should still be considering this as a possible gallbladder problem. I don't want to go back to the er because I'm not in extreme pain or anything...but I can't get to a doctor for another 2 weeks or so. I shouldn't be worried that this is appendicitis right? Not really sure where that is located other than the lower abdomen..but how low? Sorry about the ramble..just scared and would feel better if some would share their experiences.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2004, 08:09 PM   #2
    Asleep
    Inactive

Asleep HB User
    Re: Gallbladder Attack???

Push on your stomach where it hurts. Does it hurt when you press down - or when you let go? If it hurts when you let go it could be your appendix.

How about going to an Urgent Care?

Old 04-23-2004, 08:47 AM   #3
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
    Smile Re: Gallbladder Attack???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by candigirl21
    I was wondering if anyone who has had a gallbladder attack could tell me what it feels like, what their symptoms were?? I went to the er on 3/10..they thought it was my gallbladder but they did blood work and an ultrasound and found nothing. I have had this dull ache on my right side for the past 3 days..not quite the upper right area though..kinda like where u would get a side ache if u ran to fast. It's not painful..kinda tender and when I lay down it feels like a knot is inside..no sharp pain. I'm wondering if maybe I should still be considering this as a possible gallbladder problem. I don't want to go back to the er because I'm not in extreme pain or anything...but I can't get to a doctor for another 2 weeks or so. I shouldn't be worried that this is appendicitis right? Not really sure where that is located other than the lower abdomen..but how low? Sorry about the ramble..just scared and would feel better if some would share their experiences.

Hi there - so sorry for your problems. My GB attacks started out as a painful twinge right up under the ribs on the right side, and eventually (over the course of a year) worsened to daily pain. Sometimes sharp stabbing pains that would take my breath away, and other times it felt like a fist was pushing up under my ribs and out of my skin from the inside. It's a very localized pain in the upper right quadrant of your abdomen and then can radiate to the upper back between the shoulder blades.

Don't be surprised by "normal" ultrasounds and blood work. I had a severely inflamed gall bladder that went on for months because all my tests came back as "normal."

Good to go the doctor when you can. Your symptoms sound too high up for appendix, and speaking from experience it sounds more like gall bladder.

Good luck to you,
    Katie G

Old 04-23-2004, 09:04 AM   #4
    Cushie

Cushie HB User

My gallbladder attacks are just like what Katie said. I would roll myself into a ball and just suffer through the attack. The world around me ceased to exist - the pain is pretty intense. For me, the pain was dead center in the ribs, sometimes gravatating to the right. My ultrasound picked up eight big stones right way (apparently there were more when I had it removed). I almost called the ambulance the first time but was too weak to request for my husband to do that. After that we figured out what was wrong with me but I let it go on for another year before I finally sought surgery.

Now my appedicitis (LOL) came down by my right hip bone. Again intense pain - so severe that when I went to the ER the head of surgery came down and he operated right then and there. It's been 15 years so I don't remember everything about it but I do seem to remember that after the attack I felt no residual problems. I wish I had a better answer for you but just keep following up. Generally speaking an ER can not fix the disease only the symptoms - excluding cases where you need surgery immediately. They're not diagnostitions but they will help abate the pain. That's my experience anyway. Every now and again you'll find an ER doc who wants to get to the bottom of a problem but generally they will make you liveable and send you on your way.

Old 04-23-2004, 02:07 PM   #5
    candigirl21
    (female)

candigirl21 HB User

Thanks Katie and Cushie,
    From what u said I am pretty sure it's my gallbladder. I was worried that if I didn't get immediate attention I could die or something. I don't have gallstones but all they did was ultrasound so it wouldnt surprise me if my gallbladder isn't functioning correctly. Right now it's like Katie said a slight twinge...nothing too painful. Hopefully I can get to a doctor soon. Katie do they have to take it out or can hey give u meds to help inflaming go down? I've never had surgery in my life so I'm a little apprehensive. I've heard horror stories. Also what did they use to diagnose u? Like I said ultrasound and bloodwork came back normal. What should I ask the doctor to do? Upper GI?
    Thanks again...it's nice to know I am not going to die if I don't get to a doctor right away..(silly I know but I am a worrier )

Old 04-23-2004, 10:13 PM   #6
    sara52

sara52 HB User

Hi Candie,
    I hope you feel better soon ...My GB pains were just about like Katie's except I had attackes that woke me up at night and had me laying on the bathroom floor for maybe an hour at a time...The pains were exactly under my R breast...They were bad and caused alot of vomitting....I had an ultrasound and many stones showed up....I guess I was lucky in that respect because I had surgery right away for it.....Not everyone with GB problems have stones show up on ultrasound and alot of them need to have a HIDA scan with CCK to see if your GB is functiong like its supposed to...If the ejection fraction is below 35 % then they would recommend GB removal....I know you are apprehensive about having surgery but as far as surgeries go, this was a fairly easy one....Most are done laproscopic and you come home either the same day or the next and usually go back to work in about a week...When I came home I didn't even need any pain meds other than OTC tylenol...I Was grocery shopping at 3 days and went back to work at 5 days...

Sara

Old 04-26-2004, 09:15 AM   #7
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
    Smile Re: Gallbladder Attack???

Quote:
    Thanks Katie and Cushie,
    From what u said I am pretty sure it's my gallbladder. I was worried that if I didn't get immediate attention I could die or something. I don't have gallstones but all they did was ultrasound so it wouldnt surprise me if my gallbladder isn't functioning correctly. Right now it's like Katie said a slight twinge...nothing too painful. Hopefully I can get to a doctor soon. Katie do they have to take it out or can hey give u meds to help inflaming go down? I've never had surgery in my life so I'm a little apprehensive. I've heard horror stories. Also what did they use to diagnose u? Like I said ultrasound and bloodwork came back normal. What should I ask the doctor to do? Upper GI?
    Thanks again...it's nice to know I am not going to die if I don't get to a doctor right away..(silly I know but I am a worrier )

Hi candigirl - don't ever feel silly for posting concerns/questions on the boards. This board is great for support and suggestions, and no question is too silly. Basically if your ultrasound and bloodwork are fine, the next step will be a hida scan, which is a test to see how effective the gall bladder is functioning - a test result under 35% means the GB may need to be removed. Unfortunately for me, I had to suffer for a few more months after my first and 2nd hida scans because my percentages were within the "normal" range even though I was in agony on a daily basis by this time. I was in tears almost all the time because I hurt so bad and knew something was wrong, but medical tests were coming back as "normal." However, because I had a GB attack during the hida scan when I was injected with CCK (which is part of the test) and the fact that a 2nd doctor confirmed it was my gall bladder by my symptoms, my surgeon was able to justify surgery. That's where it was discovered how inflamed and covered in in scar tissue from repeated "attacks" it was.

Some people have posted information on this board about something you can take for helping the gall bladder and possibly avoiding or deferring surgery, but for me surgery was the only option that I wanted to consider. I just wanted the pain to go away! And surgery took care of it.

Good luck and keep us posted,
    Katie G

P.S. There are several posts on here already about GB surgery, so you can find information about how it's done if you're interested.

Old 04-26-2004, 10:34 AM   #8
    j94ta

j94ta HB User

Quote:
    I just had my gall bladder removed last week! I, too, had a trip to the ER with a gall bladder attack. The ultrasound revealed no stones, but the ER doctor had me come back to the hospital to get a HIDA scan. I am surprised that this was not suggested for you by the ER. Call your doctor and ask to have this done before your appt if possible. Mine showed major problems. My surgery was 2 weeks after my ER visit. I had to stay on a liquid diet during this time so I did not annoy my gall bladder anymore.

Old 04-28-2004, 02:29 PM   #9
    candigirl21
    (female)

candigirl21 HB User

Ok so I went to the er again on 4/25 with pain in my upper right abdomen, and my back...the doctor agreed it was probley my gallbladder but said could not do hida scan my doctor has to..the problem is I have no insurance right now so I can't get it done..why is it every er I go to can't help me? He gave me percocet for pain but I took it once and felt very weird and I think I had a reaction to it..so basically here I am in pain and no one cares.

Old 05-03-2004, 12:40 AM   #10
    lil_angel_grrrl

lil_angel_grrrl HB User

I think a hida scan is the best thing they can do.. I has an ultrsound that did show gallstones.. but the hida scan showed my gallbladder just wasnt functioning.. removing your gallbladder is pretty much only thing to do i think if nonfunctioning. I had a upper GI about a year before this.. did me no good.. they did think that I could of had an ulcer or reflux(nothing was mentioned that my gallballder could be the problem at this point).. but nothing came up.. I would try the hida scan first... good luck

Closed Thread