It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Post-Open Gall Bladder Surgery Questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2004, 11:41 AM   #1
    Island_Storm

Island_Storm HB User
    Question Post-Open Gall Bladder Surgery Questions

I had Open Gall Bladder removal surgery (Open Cholesystectomy) 8 days ago. I was discharged from hospital 4 days after the surgery and was told I will need to recover at home for six to eight weeks. The surgeon tried to perform the surgery laparoscopically but due to the large size of my gall bladder and stones, after making the Lapro incisions, he had to open me up and do the open surgery.

All went smoothly according to my surgeon and my recovery seems to be progressing quite nicely. I do, however, have a couple of questions that I would like to ask of anyone out there who may have the answers for me.

1) Since the day before I left the hospital and since then, both outer thighs from my knee to below my hip, have been numb. Sometimes they get like pins and needles and other times they are just plain numb. Is this normal? Will it eventually go away? Can I do anything to make it go away?

2) The area just below my main incision is numb....is this normal as well? Anything I can do to make it better or is it permanent due to cutting through muscle in my stomach?

3) The staples in my incision are red around the staples' entry points. Is this normal? I have showered each day and put on a clean white t-shirt each day as instructed by the surgeon. I am just paranoid about infection. I am assuming it is just my skin's way of saying it doesn't appreciate having staples through it? The incision itself appears to be healing well...it's just the entry points of the staples themselves that is quite red.

4) I have 35 stitches in my four incisions in my stomach. Now here is my question.....when one gets staples removed...does it hurt?? I am not good with pain and I am getting them out this Friday AM. Would just like to know what to expect from someone who has had staples removed.

Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated and I wish everyone who has had this surgery and complete and full recovery and a healthy life.

Cheers!

Storm

Last edited by Island_Storm; 05-03-2004 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Spelling Corrections

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2004, 11:10 PM   #2
    Island_Storm

Island_Storm HB User
    Post Re: Post-Open Gall Bladder Surgery Questions

Staples were removed a couple of days ago and it doesn't hurt! It stings a little almost like a pinch but they took out all 40 staples in less than a minute.

I am still looking for anwers to my other questions if anyone can shed any light for me.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Storm

Closed Thread