It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Gallbladder can someone explain results?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2004, 05:28 PM   #1
    jaminae
    (female)

jaminae HB User
    Arrow Gallbladder can someone explain results?

well heres is my result from that ULTRASOUND:
    single, large 1.3 cm mobile stone within gallbladder NO Evidence of gallbladder wall thickening or pericholecystic fluid. the common bile duct is normal in size and is 4 mm in its greatest dimension. liver normal - no evidence of intrahepatic dilatation or mass - pancreas is norma - right kidney 11.2 cm no evidence of hydronephrosis or renal calculus

what exactly does the result mean? is it bad to have a mobile stone?
    can an inflammation of the gallbladder be seen on an ultrasound?

Thanks in advance!
    Manuela

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2004, 11:42 AM   #2
    carotho
    (female)

carotho HB User
    Re: Gallbladder can someone explain results?

Hi there --

That's a fairly good sized stone you've got, though certainly not a record-breaker. Not knowing what your problems were that led to the ultrasound, I can't comment too much on your own condition except to say that a "mobile" stone can be of concern because it tends to move a lot, frequently moving with you even as you just change position! I have "multiple tiny stones" that are also "mobile" and they really are of concern to doctors because they are so tiny and try to get out of the GB and into the ducts. Small stones are thought to be worse than slightly larger, "older" stones because they are more easily stuck in ducts.

My gallbladder "works" fine which was discovered via HIDA scan last year following the discovery of the stones via ultrasound, so having a functioning GB and small stones is a bad combo due to the nicely contracting GB's spitting out the stones on occasion. Interesting, isn't it?

Other than your single stone, your gallbladder and the rest of the ultrasound results sound quite normal. Do you know how it is actually functioning??? If you have complaints, you should probably try to have a HIDA scan to check the GB's function.

From what I have learned in my year+ of dealing with/researching this nasty problem, the gallbladder may appear not to be inflamed, but in fact when it is removed, it IS inflamed. This is certainly not always the case, but there are so many variables with this gallbladder business. There is a lady on this Board, Katie G, who has written volumes on this topic -- it's likely she will respond to your question about ultrasound results.

I tried a low fat diet to keep more stones from forming and lost a lot of weight over the past year (weight loss alone can make stone formation more likely, unfortunately) but a second ultrasound done two weeks ago revealed MORE tiny stones when compared with last year's report and I've had some really uncomfortable "pain-like" right-sided only -- episodes lately so three gastroenterologists (I believe in getting lots of opinions) say "get it out now!" I am set for surgery on 5/26. My pains vary and move around; some are sharp, under the rib-cage on the right, sometimes there is annoying aching in the mid-back, right side, and then there are the "bad right-sided stomachache" episodes that last about 5 hours. They aren't horrible, but still prevent me from functioning. That stomachache business feels like it goes all the way from under the upper right quadrant down to the area of the appendix. One of the gastroenterologists and a couple of other ladies in the doctors' offices have said discomfort all the way down to the appendix area is not unusual. NOTHING is really unusual --

Truth is, I felt lousy, digestion-wise, for six months prior to having my stone-passing (horrifying) pain incident in June '03. I had a colonoscopy in May of '03 and it was perfect -- no problems at all. My two ultrasound(s) have been similar to yours -- fine except for, in my case, many tiny stones. Also, like I said, symptoms are variable by person and by episode. I know one family where four members have had GB removal (stone formation also runs in families!). All four of these people had different symptoms from each other and each one's symptoms varied from episode to episode. I have heard this same story from a number of people. There are a few people who have classic symptoms but most have varied episodes.

What is advised for you? Is someone telling you to have surgery? With one single stone you could try to change your diet away from all sugar/white flour products and eliminate everything that disagrees with you now, in hopes of avoiding surgery. Many/most people never even know they HAVE gallstones unless they have problems and are tested, or they get tested for something else and stones are discovered by accident. If a person has never had symptoms, most doctors advise a wait-and-see stance. But once symptoms occur, they likely repeat and it's not good to wait too long after symptoms start to progress.

I like to travel and have a very busy job/ family responsibilities, so this is a major inconvenience for me. It is not a good idea to wait until one is so sick that they must go to the ER and have emergency surgery.

Let us know how you are doing; I will report back after my own surgery (from which I had better recover quickly because I have a lot of things scheduled for this summer. I had a hysterectomy many years ago and recovered very well from that, and it required a large incision. This GB surgery messes with the entire digestive tract, however, so I understand it takes some getting used to after the fact with a trial and error period insofar as what one can eat. I also know that many people have significant digestive complaints after surgery but that they can almost always be treated successfully with drugs/supplements.)

Best wishes.

Carol

Last edited by Administrator; 04-20-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Old 05-16-2004, 11:05 PM   #3
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Carol,
    Your message is very good and complete. I could not add anything. Except small stone can stop up the the bile duct causing alot of pain but it's estimated that more that 50% of our population have gall stones that cause little or no problems. They seem to live normal lives.

Old 05-17-2004, 07:54 AM   #4
    jossr
    (female)

jossr HB User

I, too, am suffering with the right quadrant pain because of the gallbladder. My scan revealed that it is functioning at 11.5%, no stones, but they saw something on my liver that the gi says that if I want to have a CAT scan, I can but he is not concerned about it. Well, I am. I have changed my diet in the meantime while I fought for these tests. However, I have many things to do in the next few weeks (school teacher) to schedule the surgery, but somedays I feel miserable with the pain and not knowing what foods will set off the gallbladder pain.

Old 05-17-2004, 09:56 PM   #5
    sara52

sara52 HB User

Jossr, I have a feeling if the GI had "something" on HIS liver, he would be just as concerned as you are.

Last edited by sara52; 05-17-2004 at 09:57 PM.

Old 05-18-2004, 03:50 AM   #6
    farscape66
    Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

My stone is 2.4 cm, much larger than yours. It started at 2.9 cm and through chinese herbs I managed to shrink it down to 2.4 cm. The doctors were impressed. I continue my herbal program and have ultrasounds every 6 months. Around november I hope to break the 2 cm mark. Approximately 2 years from now it should be gone completly if all goes well.

The rest of youre results are normal.

A hida scan will determine if it is functioning well or not. It may in fact still be working even with the stone. You should find out.

Old 05-19-2004, 10:34 AM   #7
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
    Smile Re: Gallbladder can someone explain results?

Hi Manuela,

I am one of those lucky people who went through 2 ultrasounds and 2 hida scans and all were reported as "normal" until I actually had surgery for my GB - that's when the severe inflammation and scar tissue were found on it.

In fact, since my tests came back as "normal" my surgeon couldn't operate (with my insurance paying of course) until I got a 2nd opinion that it truly was my gall bladder causing all of my problems, e.g. right side SEVERE pain, nausea, diarrhea, weight loss, fatigue, low grade fever, tenderness to pressure/touch in the upper right quadrant, back pain, to name a few.

Believe me, you will know when you get to a point that you just want the darn thing out!!! I was practically begging for surgery by the time they got around to it. I'm sure with a mobile stone, you're more likely to have painful attacks as the stone moves around and possibly obstructs a bile duct. Do some research on gall stones and make an informed decision, not a hasty one.

Good luck to you,
    Kati

Last edited by Administrator; 04-20-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Closed Thread