It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Pain 4-6weeks after gallbladder surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2004, 08:55 AM   #1
    momtotoria

momtotoria HB User
    Question Pain 4-6weeks after gallbladder surgery

Hello all - I have a question. I had my gallbladder out 03/22/04 and I have been recently feeling some pain again - the pain feels like the pre surgery pain but not as intense and with no nausea. Is this common - is it part of the healing process or maybe my common bile duct adjusting to the bile that it is now responsible for?? P.S. I didn't have stones just chronic inflammation of the gallbladder. I went back to the surgeon today and she ordered liver function tests just to make sure it wasn't my liver. I was just wondering if any of you experienced this after surgery. Thank you so much for any input - this board is great.
    Kelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2004, 07:27 AM   #2
    momtotoria

momtotoria HB User
    Re: Pain 4-6weeks after gallbladder surgery

anyone have any ideas??

Old 05-19-2004, 09:56 AM   #3
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
    Smile Re: Pain 4-6weeks after gallbladder surgery

Hi Kelly,

I had my GB out in '97 and to this day, still get fleeting "phantom" pains where my GB pain was. Kind of like a ghostly reminder of when I still had my GB. However, they are only a few seconds and not too bothersome. I too had severe inflammation of the GB, not stones.

I would recommend talking to your doctor if it becomes life-altering or really affects your daily activities. Remember, your insides went through an invasive procedure, and you may feel pain for up to 6 months as things heal.

Good luck to you,
    Katie G

Last edited by moderator4; 05-20-2004 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Kelly's complete post need not be repeated !!

Old 05-19-2004, 11:07 AM   #4
    momtotoria

momtotoria HB User
    Smile Re: Pain 4-6weeks after gallbladder surgery

Thank you soooo much for your reply Katie G. I was hoping that you would respond because you have been so helpful to me in the past! Just like you describe the pain only lasts a few seconds and I can easily deal with it. Thank you again.
    Kelly

Old 05-19-2004, 11:20 AM   #5
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User

Hi again - you're very welcome! Glad I could help.

Katie G

Last edited by moderator4; 05-20-2004 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Post does not need te be Quoted

Old 05-25-2004, 11:52 PM   #6
    UT_mom
    Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User

HI THERE. Sorry to hear about your pain but from my experience w/ gallbladder surgery I think it's normal like Katie said. I had mine out in 1999 and still have phantom pain it has lessened over time but I think I'll probably always have it. Also just thought you may want to know (it surprised me to find out anyway) that when I was pregnant over a year ago, I had intense pain just like my gallbladder attack. I thought it was impossible but when I asked my OB-GYN stated that you can still produce stones even if you don't have a gallbladder and because you previously had gallbladder disease you are actually more likely than normal people to produce stones. What that means is you can actually still experience a gallbladder attack from time to time even without a gallbladder. Just so you know, my attack was no where near as severe as when I had my gallbladder but I was pretty uncomfortable for a few hours. My best to you! P.S. Always eat low fat and you will feel better!

Old 05-26-2004, 07:09 AM   #7
    momtotoria

momtotoria HB User

Thank You Caden_Logan Mom for your response - I will try modifying my diet some - I haven't felt the pain in almost a week so I think it might be passing some.
    Thank you again!
    Kelly

Closed Thread