It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Questions for Post gallbladder surgery.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-23-2004, 10:51 AM   #1
    san

san HB User
    Questions for Post gallbladder surgery.

I am due to have my gallbladder remove Aug. 13th after 3 years of upper right abdomenal pain. Had a few ultrasounds that looked o.k., but most recently a HIDA scan proved it barely functions. I am 30 pounds over weight and started following Weight Watcher end of May. Since then, the pain has actually been more continous (which surgeon said can happen with major eating habits changing and weight loss).

Anyways, my question is what has your diet been like after surgery....more like weeks after. Do you need to avoid, limit fat intake? Did the gallbladder really make any difference?

ALSO, how long before a little exercise (Curves for Women)? I am due to go back to work 10 days after surgery. Is that going to be enough time? I actually work standing on my feet 6 hours.

thanks for ANY advice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2004, 12:43 PM   #2
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
    Smile Re: Questions for Post gallbladder surgery.

Hi there - I started eating anything I wanted again after surgery - no limits on fat, grease, and acidic foods - which would have just about killed me before my GB was out.

As far as exercise, I like to walk for aeorbics and lift weights for toning. I was so fatigued after surgery (I took only a week off - was a hospital speech therapist at the time), and wish I'd taken 2 instead. I had to build up my endurance slowly. Check with your doctor about returning to Curves. I bet he'll say wait at least 2-4 weeks. You will know what you can tolerate. It was probably a month before I could exercise up to full capacity again.

Keep us posted on your outcome. Good luck to you.

Katie G

Old 07-23-2004, 12:49 PM   #3
    Tracied3
    Inactive

Tracied3 HB User
    Re: Questions for Post gallbladder surgery.

I agree, all attacks stopped after the gb came out.....and I went back to enjoying all the things that did not stop the attacks to begin with! There were no restrictions.
    Also I went to a going away party that same evening. There was little pain at all. The only hard part was the carbon gas leaving since they will blow your abdomen up to the size of a large watermelon.....the expulsion of the gas they use creates sharp pains in your shoulders but they are easier than dealing with the gb.
    You should be able to go right back to normal activity within a few days to a week if they go in laprascopic.
    Good luck...I am sure you are on your way to feeling MUCH better really soon!

Last edited by Tracied3; 07-23-2004 at 12:50 PM.

Old 07-23-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
    glorydots
    (female)

glorydots HB User

I was told not to eat anything that triggered attacks for at least 3 weeks. It's been 16 days now since the op and I just started to feel abit more free about my diet...meaning I will eat a sandwich instead of a soup or salad. By the time I had my surgery everything and anything would trigger an attack so i was literally starving myself.
    Today I feel so much better but am not yet due to eat anything greasy. I had a bit of difficult time with my surgery, or should i say a longer recovery time. There was no way I could every go out the night of my surgery. Every body is different though, so just listen to what yours is telling you. Don't push yourself and take things slowly. Walk around but do not over exert yourself. In my case I really couldn't do anything without becoming exhausted quickly.
    I did not have a bowel movement for 6 days after my surgery and I have had extreme bouts of loose stool. Now i either get constipated or have loose stool...i never know what I am in store for. I do have bad gas pain now and then...and my incisions are still uncomfortable. I am not in any pain at all, just uncomfortable. my belly button being the worst.
    Regardless of any ache or pain i may feel right now, i need to be thankful that I will never ever feel the excruciating pain of a gall bladder attack again in my life. A little discomfort after surgery is worth it compared to the alternative.
    Good luck to you and let us know how it went!

~glorydots

Old 07-23-2004, 06:06 PM   #5
    masonpips

masonpips HB User

My doctor said I can walk, exercise bike or swim as soon as I feel up to it (probably no earlier than 10 days he thinks) and restricted any weight bearing exercises for 30 days. I honestly think swimming would hurt because of stretching your arms over your head.

I know you use your stomach muscles A LOT and he said anything that puts pressure on your stomach you will feel.

Old 07-24-2004, 09:30 AM   #6
    farscape66
    Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

My doctor gave me 3 weeks off. I had mine out on the 13th. I believe 10 days is not enough time at all. Ask for more time. As far as eating, I'm on my 11th day post op and seem tobe able to eat anything I want. Best of luck.

Old 07-29-2004, 08:01 AM   #7
    san

san HB User

Thank you all for your replies. I am very nervous over this surgery. I think it is just because I have been dealing with it for so long it is hard to have a positive thought that it will all go away after this surgery. I have read where some people get valium or something the night before surgery to help them relax & sleep. I think I need this :-) ALSO, I have an issue with constipation. Did anyone use an enema or something before surgery? I don't see the dr. before the surgery day, but thinking of calling there to ask the question.
    thanks again

Closed Thread