It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• does this truely sound like my gallbladder or something else

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-03-2004, 08:20 PM   #1
    mary360

mary360 HB User
    does this truely sound like my gallbladder or something else

I have had some painful spells that everyone including an er dr and my dr say might be gallbladder problems, I'm due for a ultrasound next week, but for those of you with knowlege of this tell me what you think.i guess I am having a hard time believing something actually went wrong with me I am normally so healthy, so here is what I have been dealing with:
    Pain in my stomach about half way down that goes though into my back, it usually starts at about 2 am and wakes me out of a dead of sleep(believe me this is hard I have a 3 month old), it doesn't go away for about 2 hours, yesterday it was almost an all day event but today after taken my bentyl pill last night about 8 I have felt no pain, i feel slightly nauses when I have these spells also, I feel like a hypercondreact at the thought of there being anything wrong with me but it scares me also because I have 2 small children who need me to take care of them not be sick, tell me what you think if it sounds like my gallbladder or maybe something else.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2004, 08:57 PM   #2
    fiveoffive
    (female)

fiveoffive HB User
    Talking Re: does this truely sound like my gallbladder or something else

Hello Mary,
    First, you said you are perfectly healthy, Ok good sign number one, don't freak out! you took your pill and the pain subsided? Two things I think, when my first baby was born, (almost 18 yrs. ago) He was probably about two or three months old and I started this awful horrid waking up late in the night in terrible pain in my stomach. I really thought I had to have some cancer or something, It happened several times and landed me in the ER. IT WAS GAS!!!!!! I was so embarrassed!!!! They gave me something I don't remember what, Well lets just say I cleared the room!!!
    @nd. It could be your gall bladder, lots of gall bladder problems (mostly stones happen or are troublsome and found during or soon after pregnancy.
    think about what you have/ had eaten before your "attack" was it fatty? fried? these things usually cause the gallbladder to go nuts.
    I , Just two years ago had my gallbladder removed, It was full of stones and I was so glad when it was out ! the surgery was really easy and I am the worlds worst whiner!!
    get you ultra sound!! try to relax until then, take it easy on the fatty fried stuff and the spicy. try some maalox, mylanta, things of that nature. keep us posted.
    happiness to you always
    Marylou

Last edited by notevenok; 08-03-2004 at 08:58 PM.

Old 08-07-2004, 07:26 PM   #3
    BlueBelle2

BlueBelle2 HB User
    Re: does this truely sound like my gallbladder or something else

Your symptoms sound a lot like mine when I had my gallbladder attack. I, too was very healthy, I had recently lost 20-25 lbs...we were out of town and went out for mexican, all that cheese and fat triggered it. They also say women (men? I don't know) who have lost weight are much more susceptible to Gall Bladder attacks.

Every once in a while after that, I'd get the pain and nausea, throw up in the middle of the night. I ignored it for awhile until one night I laid on the bed in so much pain, scared my 9 y/o daughter, my husband took me to the ER. By the time they saw me-the stone had passed and I felt fine. I had to go for an ultra sound and they saw stones. My doc called and said "Congratulations! You have gallstones" he was a funny guy.

About a month after I had surgery-I got pregnant with my 2nd, who is now 13. Whats even funnier nearly all of my friends, mom and mother in law have had to have their gall bladders out too.

I 2nd what MaryLou wrote-While you're waiting don't eat high fat foods. Lean turkey, chicken is good. No cheese, burgers, hotdogs etc. Thats one sure way to keep you on a low fat diet isn't it? After I was diagnosed and waiting for surgery, I got a script for pain medication that really helped if I did have an attack.

Old 08-08-2004, 08:58 PM   #4
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Ulcers are famous for waking you in the middle of the nite, believe me, I read anything I could get my hands on about 8 years ago. It started out happening once in a while, then more often to every nite. It was horrible, it would wake me up in the middle of the nite usually around 1 or 2 a.m. The pain was to the left of the middle just below my ribs & would radiate to the middle often. Nothing relieved it & I would be doubled up on the floor for 2 or more hours in the middle of the nite. The next day I was totally drained & could hardly function from the pain.
    Now, what I was told was gallbladder pain is more to the right & a bit lower than what I described & can go around to the back. Also, nausea can accompany it.
    I had the scope down my throat & it showed 2 ulcers, my doc had said my symptoms were either ulcer or gallbladder. I asked him honestly what he thought & he said Ulcers. He was right, I was also scheduled for the gallbladder test, but didn't need it after he found 2 good sized ulcers. He showed me the picture of them & I couldn't believe they could cause such horrible pain.
    Also, gallbladder attacks can happen anytime, day or nite. Ulcer attacks usually at nite.

Old 08-08-2004, 11:28 PM   #5
    Aline336

Aline336 HB User

Hi Mary,

For what it's worth, I recently had my gall bladder removed and, although I'm still recovering from the surgery, I feel 100% better. So, in the event that you do have gall stones please rest assured that the surgery is relatively painless as surgeries go. I also had attacks in the middle of the night accompanied by nausea and a loose bowel. The pain was intense and best described as a burning, searing sensation in the top, right hand side of my abdominal area. My appetite decreased and the attacks became more and more frequent, occurring throughout the day also. I have lost 65 pounds over the last seven months, which I am told might have caused the attacks to kick in.

Good luck!

Aline

Old 08-08-2004, 11:30 PM   #6
    Karla
    Inactive

Karla HB User

I had my gallbladder out in March. I thought I was going to die from the pain. I went to the ER and they gave me a shot of morphine, said it was probably my gallbladder and sent me home. My dr was so mad that they didn't do an MRI. He gave me a list of foods to eat and not eat. I stuck to that list and only ate the foods I was suppose to and I was still having severe gallbladder attacks. I went into the er at 8pm at night and they gave me pain meds again and wanted to send me home. I said no I want ultrasound done to see if I have a problem and need my gallbladder removed. They said I had to stay till morning and they would work me into their schedule at 8am. I found out from the test that no stones were blocking any ducts so there was no emergency and they wouldn't do anything. I kept eating what I was suppose to and having severe gallbladder attacks. After my 4th trip to the ER they had me meet with a surgeon who talked to me and said that I needed to set up a sergery date after I talk to my dr and get the surgery approved. I did and a long 2 weeks latter I got my gallbladder removed. It has been wonderful since I got it out. No more pain. The surgeon said I had over 40 stones in there. NUTS!

Closed Thread