It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• post gallbladder surgery 6 months on...PLEASE HELP ME

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-29-2004, 01:02 AM   #1
    chickenwing

chickenwing HB User
    Unhappy post gallbladder surgery 6 months on...PLEASE HELP ME

I underwent gallbladder surgery 6 months ago, before my surgery i was very sick, with upper right side pain, and alot of diarreah, along with the diareah i had the feeling of "not yet finished" and this was a problem with going out, as id be worried id have to rush to the toilet, which in alot of cases i did, so i avoided going out, or eating out as this seemed to help provoke it.
    after the oporation, i had constant diarreah, which was accepted as post op side affects. then it seemd to get alot better, for a short while, maybe 4 weeks, then the diarreah came back, not as frequent, maybe 2 or 3 times a week.
    and now 6 months on, i stil get the diarreah about once a week, and every other BM is either constipated, or very very loose. and i usually go once or more every day. Ive been taking immodium tablets, they seem to block it all up for a day or two, but then it goes back to the same.
    my tummy grumbles alot, and makes weird noises.
    id really not like to go back to the doctor about this, last time i went about 4 months ago he simply told me "give your body time to adjust" so is that what its doing now? or is there something more wrong?
    i also have hemmoroids, well i think that they are what they are, as i havnt had those checked out, i know its from the constant diarreah/constipation. i use a cream, do they work?
    ive become paranoid to go out as i never know when my sudden toilet urge will come, and if i wont be close enough to a toilet, this is hurting my social life, as i never do anything anymore, and its making me really depressed, on days like this (today ive had diareeh twice, stomach pains, grumbling and bad pain on the side) i just want to go to bed and not wake up, and make it stop.

if anybody has been going through this or knows whats wrong please tell me.

by the way i am 21 years old. and i eat a healthy diet, as the doctor said stay away from oil, and nuts, so i gave those up and mainly eat veggetables at night, and lunch mainly sandwiches/noodles/pasta those types. so its not the food.

Last edited by chickenwing; 08-29-2004 at 01:03 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2004, 12:47 PM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Re: post gallbladder surgery 6 months on...PLEASE HELP ME

About 5% of people that have their gallbladder removed have this type of explosive diarrhea caused by their liver putting out too much BILE and not having a gallbladder to regulate it with your food intake. It is not an uncommon problem.

It is controlled by taking a prescription medication --Questran that is in a powder form and it comes in a tablet also. It absorbs the bile before it reaches the colon. It is used for controlling cholesterol but it works for diarrhea cause by too much bile--- It will give you---YOUR life back!!!

Go on Google and type in -- "What is bile salt diarrhea?" and you will get alot of information to read. You may have to print out several and take them to your Doctor -- that probably is not that well informed about it--- or he would have already given you something for your problem.

I wish you well---Harry

Old 08-29-2004, 02:38 PM   #3
    KelliC

KelliC HB User
    Re: post gallbladder surgery 6 months on...PLEASE HELP ME

Maybe you have IBS!! Many people have the same symptoms that I know. Cramping, bloating, diarrhea and constipation. Talk to your doctor. Medicine sucks but Zelnorn is new for IBS. KelliC

Old 08-30-2004, 08:45 AM   #4
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
    Smile Re: post gallbladder surgery 6 months on...PLEASE HELP ME

Hi there - I'm not sure your problem really is bile salt diarrhea since one of the hallmark symptoms of bile salt diarrhea is explosive, uncontrollable diarrhea brought on by the act of eating or drinking anything. If you are having alternate bouts of diarrhea & constipation, I do not recommend Questran or Colestid for you since constipation is one of the side effects. Try adding more fiber to your diet to "bulk up" your stools. Also some people have great luck with adding calcium supplements (+ Vit D/magnesium) which can cause mild constipation in some people.

Other symptoms of bile salt diarrhea will be the color of your stool - may be yellow or very light tan. But the hallmark complaint is that eating (or drinking) triggers the sudden urge to run to the bathroom.

Try fiber and calcium first, and if this doesn't help, find some information on bile salt diarrhea and be sure to take it in to your doctor, since some do not believe in the disorder.

Good luck and keep us posted,
    Katie G

Closed Thread