It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Scheduled Gallbladder surgery, but unsure, HELP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2004, 09:24 PM   #1
    Allinasmile

Allinasmile HB User
    Scheduled Gallbladder surgery, but unsure, HELP

I would like to thank all the wonderful people out there who have been kind enough to share their story, so here is mine. I hope that someone may can shed some light on this for me. My pain started about 6 months ago, at first I wasn't sure what it was, thought maybe it was just a bad stomach ache that just never went away or even that I may have caught something overseas when I visited the carribbean. I went to the doctor to just kinda of get a start of what my possible options where. They done a blood test, liver test, and even ordered a ultrasound ( of my gallbladder) but when the results came in of course everything was fine and normal. My pain presisted and the attacks kept going and then finally after not getting any feasble results out of those doctors I took matters into my own hands and found a gastrology doctor. My first visit he just went over my symptoms which were stomach aches, chest pains right between my breast bone, hurting after every meal, shoulder blades and neck aches, gas, and bloating. He gave me some prevacid thinking that should do the trick. Funny thing is, this prevacid didn't really help me at all. I went back for my second visit and he ordered an upper gi to be done, as much as I hated to resort to that, I had to find out what was wrong with me. My results from the upper gi was a sliding hital hernia and a few polyps that he removed to get tested (they were bengin) go back for a third visit, he orders a hida scan which comes back saying that my gallbladder is functioning poorly and at only a 35% and he sends me to a surgeon. I met with the surgeon last Tuesday and I was concerned when he told me that it was really up to me whether I needed the surgery or not. He said that out of 100 people only 80% come out with no more pain and a 20% may still have the symptoms that removing the gallbladder has done nothing. I asked him what he thought because afterall, he is the surgeon. He said my gallbladder is abnormal in 2 places. So, my question is, are my symptoms of someone with a poor/bad gallbladder or are the scans/doctors wrong? I scheduled my surgery for Nov. 17th. I hope I get some feedback before then. Thank you all for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2004, 04:56 AM   #2
    hmdoyle00

hmdoyle00 HB User
    Re: Scheduled Gallbladder surgery, but unsure, HELP

I have the same problem you have with the gallbladder. Mine is 20% and I am having surgery on Nov.4. I do have some of the symptoms you complain of, and also chronic nausea. The only problem I see with your results (from talking to various doctors), is that 35% is usually just around the cutoff point for recommending surgery. Usually if it is under 35%-40%, then surgery may help the situation. Has the doctor said anything more about the hernia? Could that be causing some of your symptoms?

Old 10-31-2004, 02:13 PM   #3
    Allinasmile

Allinasmile HB User

No, the doctor has said nothing else about the hernia. I really don't know where to turn to. When the nurse called to give me the results with the Hida scan she said the doctor said that it needs to come out but didn't mention anything about stones. I have been having nasuea pretty regular, usually happens after I eat, but I never vomit. What has me concerned is that my pain doesn't really consist to be in the right lower quarant it is more of a breastbone, chest hurt, not to mention having to use the bathroom everytime after eating.

Thanks for your post.

Old 10-31-2004, 03:41 PM   #4
    Socagrl
    (female)

Socagrl HB User

do you ever get pain in your back?

Old 10-31-2004, 05:09 PM   #5
    Allinasmile

Allinasmile HB User

YES... My shoulder blades and middle of my neck hurts everyday and it's been that way every since. Even a massage doesn't help my aches.

Old 11-01-2004, 08:57 AM   #6
    Allinasmile

Allinasmile HB User

I made a mistake on the % of fuctioning my gallbladder was doing. I just got off the phone with the doctor's office to make sure if I needed to come to this appointment since prior to making it I already had the appointment with the surgeon. The nurse said that it was only functioning at 5% and from 35% or higher was ok, but mine was down very low. I was just concerned since I am not hurting in the right quardant of my abdomen if I even need my gallbladder out. I have all other symptoms just not hurting in that area. I was thinking that maybe that when I get the attacks and pain that maybe I don't recognize where it's coming from. I plan on going and asking the doctor that today and hope to get some positive answers.

Old 11-01-2004, 12:17 PM   #7
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

Allinasmile,

Have you ever tried a gall bladder flush. I have had remarkable success with them and got a good sized pile of bright green stones a couple months ago. I had gone on for a couple years suffering from every fatty meal that produced waves of pain...All fine now.

In fact I've just had an abdominal echo: clear gall bladder.

Perhaps you might try a flush before you resort to the surgery if there is a window of time? You can always get the surgery later if the flush isn't helpful...little to lose but some lemon or grapefruit juice, cooking oil, and a couple Tbsps. of Epsom salts.

Last edited by zip2play; 11-01-2004 at 12:20 PM.

Old 11-01-2004, 08:00 PM   #8
    Allinasmile

Allinasmile HB User

We'll, I didn't go back to the doctor today, I am going to go ahead and have the surgery on November 17th as I scheduled. Wish me luck, God knows I need it.

Old 11-02-2004, 05:02 AM   #9
    hmdoyle00

hmdoyle00 HB User

Good luck with your surgery. I am having mine in 2 days, Nov.4. Don't be too concerned about the fact that you don't have pain in the gallbladder area. I have been sick for 4 years and just started getting pain in the area about 6-8 months ago. Before that I had a knawing discomfort in the center of my stomach. Hopefully this will fix things up for you, I am hoping for the same thing.

Old 11-02-2004, 07:32 AM   #10
    Allinasmile

Allinasmile HB User

Thank You. Please let me know about your surgery when you are better. I would like to know what I am headed for. Good Luck.

Old 11-02-2004, 01:37 PM   #11
    Allinasmile

Allinasmile HB User

The only good thing that is coming out of still having my gallbladder is that I can tell what foods I can have and can't. I just ate a fun-size pack of peanut butter M&Ms and I am having pains like hell, LOTS of stomach cramping Grrrrrr

Closed Thread