It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• Is this GERD or Gallbladder?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2004, 12:00 PM   #1
    imvic46

imvic46 HB User
    Unhappy Is this GERD or Gallbladder?

I am new to this board, so please forgive the length. I have suffered with gallbladder pain for years. It is not bad, but more annoying. I lived on pepcid and tums. Last Oct. I felt like I was having a heart attack. They diagnosed GERD and sent me home with Prevacid and Xanax. I had complete relief for about 3 months. After a round of antibiotics all of the symptoms returned, but not as forcefully. UNTIL NOW!!! Gallbladder pain almost all day, post nasal drip, coughing after eating, feel reflux in the a.m as much as 10 hours after eating, pain between breasts, tightness in chest. I had two attacks of night reflux that woke me up. Almost all symptoms are relieved with diet changes, but never go away completely. Still taking Prevacid. Food seems to digest too slowly. Having problems with bowels if not stimulated to go. Bowel movements also ease other symptoms. Does this sound typical of gerd? Gallbladder? Both? PLEASE.....ANY ADVICE.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2004, 03:15 PM   #2
    babybet_7

babybet_7 HB User
    Re: Is this GERD or Gallbladder?

Hi there,
    I just had my GB out this summer. My GB pain was horrid. Laying down was the only thing that eased my symptoms.
    The biggest clue that I had with the GB problems was a very sharp pain in my right back. just under my breast bone. It was a very constent pain and was very painful after I ate fatty food.

the surgeon took his hand and pushed under my right breast bone while I was lying down. this sent me flying almost off the table . He had an intern with him and was using me as his teaching tool. He said this was a typical reaction when someone had GB problems.

I was also had an ultrasound to diagnose stones.

I have always had problems with acid reflux and gerd too. Those of us with gerd and acid reflux seem to have a difficult time bouncing back from GB surgery. My reflux has come back ten-fold along with IBS that I did not have before this surgery.

If I had to do it again- I would not have had my GB taken out. but...then again it can be a very serious problem if you allow the Gb to become inflammed. What a catch 22!

Hope you find some answers.
    Judy

Old 11-06-2004, 06:09 PM   #3
    suziq23

suziq23 HB User

I had my gallbladder removed 8 weeks ago...I was having horrible pains but they were right under my brestbone..not where the gb is..so the dr told me it was probably an ulcer...2 nights later I woke up thinking I was dying...( I had been feeling like that for 3 weeks but I had just had a baby and I later found out that gallstones are very common in women who have just had babies and I didn't have time to go back to the dr) but when I woke up this time I had to go to the er.. when I got there the dr said I wasn't hurting where my gb was but when he did blood work he found I had pancretitis-which is can be caused by gallstones...after an ultasound the dr told me i had several stones and my gb was very contracted(whatever that meant) but because of my pancreas I had to stay in the hospital 3 days before they could remove my gb...and now I have a question..has anyone else who had their gb removed had problems with their bowels...I can not eat anything without having to run to the bathroom...It usually just hits me and I can't get there fast enough...it has been 8 weeks does this go away?

susan

Old 11-06-2004, 09:38 PM   #4
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

imvic,
    You need to start takng a water soluble fiber supplement so that you are regular w/o straining. A person needs 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily for their intestines to function properly. I like and use Equate from Wal Mart --- psyllium like what is in Metamucil. Make sure you follow direction about drinking enough water. Also when you first start it will cause some GAS but take it slow and with continued use the gas will go away. Psyllium is brokendown by digestion and ferments resulting in the gas.

You should elevate the head of your bed about 4 to 6 inches so stomach acids don't flow up your esophagus while sleeping. Also all PPIs don't work the same -- you may have to change to another PPI like Nexeum, Prilosec, or Aciphex so your stomach will empty faster. It should be empty after 2 or 3 hours at most.
    Chest tightness and pain can be caused by a deficiency of magnesium in your diet. Lack of this mineral can result in cramping as well as spasms and it is believed about 80% of people are deficient. Every cell in your body contains magnesium and 67% is in the bones. But the magnesium in the cells prevents muscle spasms and cramping. You need it anyway so you can absorb calcium to prevent Oteoporosis!!

If you haven't --- You need to have your Gallbladder functionally tested. Also, an acidic post nasal drip can really irritate your esophagus--- almost as much as stomach acids --- so you need to deal with that. It may be an allergy.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Susan,
    Having diarrhea after having your GB removed happens in about 5% of the people. It is caused by too moch bile being produced by your liver and not having a GB to hold it until it is needed to digest fats.

The common treatment is to take a medication that absorbs the bile before it reached the colon. If it reaches the Colon --- you have diarrhea.

Questran is one medication that is used. Look up bile salt diarrhea on Google--- There is alot of information there!!

God Bless---Harry

Old 12-01-2004, 09:12 AM   #5
    imvic46

imvic46 HB User

Harry,
    Sorry so long to post again. Thank you for the advice. I actually tried the Metamucil and could not tolerate it. I finally had a series of tests done. Ultrasound, Upper GI, CT scan and am scheduled for colonoscopy and scope of throat on Dec 6th. So far they think all problems are related to IBS but will know more on Monday. New med my Gastro gave me has me about 90% symptom free. Thanks for the help. Actually......the lack of tolerance of Metamucil kind of clenched it for the dr. He said most people with IBS can tolerate fiber.
    Vickey

Closed Thread