It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board

• probs after having gall bladder out

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2003, 12:06 PM   #16
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
    Smile

Hi again. Yes, I had the problems immediately after my GB was out until the time I found out about Colestid (5 years!!!!). At first I just reasoned that my IBS-D was worsening, and that over time, my bowels would return to "normal." Normal for my IBS-D meant controllable, soft stools with occasional diarrhea. Things did seem to improve until I had anti-reflux surgery in 2001; then my bile salt diarrhea really got out of control.

Give yourself about a month to see if your digestive tract settles down; GB surgery is pretty traumatic to your system. But if you still have problems then definitely see your doctor. And yes, it didn't matter what I ate or drank, I would have the urgency/explosiveness right after intake. You can try Immodium for awhile to see if that helps when you go back to work, but Immodium did nothing for me to control the bile salt diarrhea. I don't mean to be gross here, but what color are your stools? Bright yellow or light brown soupy or watery stools could also be indicative of bile salt diarrhea too.

Good luck to you,
    Katie G

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2003, 09:19 PM   #17
    olsonkl

olsonkl HB User
    Katie, thank you again for your comments and suggestions. They are very useful, and it is so nice to know I am not alone. Fortunately, my GI doctor decided on his own to put me on Colestid, so we will see how it goes. I am starting on one 1g tablet per day. I still ate a completely fat free dinner tonight to be on the safe side, my stomach feels a little sour, but that is all right now. I had another question about IBS-D, when you mention your symptoms of this, it sounds like something I might have had for some time and did not know it. What is IBS-D and are you more prone to problems such as bile salt diarrhea if you have these types of conditions? I did not notice any "yellow" in my stools, either tan or black mainly. Thanks again for all your help. Since I am still early in the process, I am still praying for a recovery with a little time.

Old 06-13-2003, 06:33 AM   #18
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Smile

Hi again - there are lots of criteria for IBS-D. I say that I have IBS-D because diarrhea (loose, soupy or watery stools) was my primary consistency rather than formed. This has been a condition for me since my early 20's (I'm now 41) and was diagnosed years ago. There is an IBS board here which may be helpful to you - also internet searches should yield a lot of helpful info. Some people have IBS-C which is primarily constipation; some people have both "D" & "C"; others may complain of cramps, gas, and/or spasming pain with their IBS. Since IBS is not a disease, but a condition, it is determined by a process of elimination (no pun intended) after determining that a person doesn't have other more serious digestive disorders.

Thank goodness your doc is proactive and put you on Colestid - I noticed the difference within 2 days - and returned to eating/drinking whatever I wanted. I am concerned about your mention of black stools - black stools can sometimes be indicative of blood/bleeding in your digestive tract. Have you mentioned this to your doctor? I'm not trying to scare you, but just concerned.

Keep me posted,
    Katie G

Old 06-13-2003, 09:18 AM   #19
    olsonkl

olsonkl HB User
    Katie-I will definately mention the black stools to my Dr, Thanks. ALso, did you notice consitpation right away on the Colestid or did things just appear normal? I have not had problems yet, just wondering what to expect. Thanks again!

Old 06-13-2003, 09:32 AM   #20
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Smile

Hey there again. Constipation has NEVER been a problem for me on Colestid. If anything, I was just excited to have formed stools within 2 days of starting it. The urgency and cramping are still present (because of my IBS), but at least I can get to the BR in time now. So now rather than right after I eat/drink something, I tend to have BMs at different times of the day - usually in the a.m. and then I may be done for the day or 1 in the a.m. and another one in the afternoon or evening. Eating/drinking does not seem to trigger the need to go as it used to.

Katie G

Old 06-13-2003, 10:22 AM   #21
    olsonkl

olsonkl HB User
    Smile

Thank you again, Katie. It sure is admirable of you to share your knowledge with us. You are doing a great service!

Old 06-13-2003, 03:34 PM   #22
    olsonkl

olsonkl HB User
    Question

Katie, One more question..........you mentioned that while on Colestid you still have the cramping in the stomach. I definately feel tlike my stomach is turned up side down in knots and I even have the gurgling, but fortunately no D yet!! Is this all the time, or does it come and go. Is this something you have to learn to live with if you have this problem chronically?

Old 06-16-2003, 06:29 AM   #23
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Smile

Hi there - how are you doing? Any good with Colestid? As far as the cramping/gurgling, that's just part of my IBS, and yes sometimes the cramps are extremely painful. So far since starting the Colestid if I have really bad IBS cramps, I just try to be near the toilet, but my stools have been solid. In the past, cramps would send me running with the big "D."

I really think the cramping/gas/gurgling I get is just part of my IBS, and will be a chronic problem for me. The Colestid only helps control the consistency of my stool, but doesn't give me entire relief from other IBS symptoms (I've had IBS for 20+ years).

Hope this answers your questions. Please keep posting to let me know how you're doing.

Katie G

Old 06-23-2003, 01:17 PM   #24
    Lisa7767

Lisa7767 HB User
    Had my gallbladder out last march( 2002) and I have that problem still...I have notcied a change in the smell and what not, also more liquid.

Glad to see i'm not the only one going through this.. I didn't know what was going on.
    Lumbar scoliosis
    Laminectomy &
    Discetomy-June 30,2003

Old 07-11-2003, 05:31 PM   #25
    JM1014

JM1014 HB User
    Hello all...just stumbled upon this site and forum through a *********** search. I had my gallbladder removed 3 years ago and have been on Colestid ever since. Today, I forgot to take it and I'm having a horrible day. I think I'll leave a packet or 2 at work in case I forget again. As long as I take 1/3 of the packet, which is about 5 grams, I can eat whatever I want and have virtually zero cramps or diarehha. I hope that others that have the same problem post-GB removal have access to a good Doctor, as mine, so they can live a normal lifestyle.
    Joel

Old 07-13-2003, 09:56 PM   #26
    RubyBliss

RubyBliss HB User
    I had my gall bladder taken out in Feb. 2003 and have been had terrible diarrhea ever since. My doctor said it's because my body hasn't adjusted yet. And I've become quite frustrated with this whole thing. He put me on that Questran stuff but after one dose, I was not about to take anymore. I was sick to my stomach, crampy, bloated...almost like how I felt before my gall bladder was taken out! So now I'm just sucking it up and dealing with these icky symptoms.

I just happened to stumble across this board because I was for information about mucus in the stool. And I'm glad that I did. I've learned a lot of useful information tonight and I'm so so SO happy to see I'm not the only one that has these problems/symptoms! I mean, I'm sorry that there are others suffering like me, but it just makes me feel better that I'm not alone. I thought maybe I was going nuts! It's always right after I eat my first meal of the day do I have to RUN to the bathroom! 20 minutes...it's like clockwork! I'm now going to do some research on what I've read and give my GI doc a call in the morning!!!

But I want to thank Katie G for all that you've said. Thank you thank you thank you. I don't know if you'll read this, but thank you. Thank you to all.

...RubyBliss

Old 07-14-2003, 07:09 AM   #27
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Smile

Hi RubyBliss. Thank you for your kind words. This board was a blessing to me because I thought I was the only one suffering in shame related to uncontrollable diarrhea, and this is where I found others like me.

I've never tried the Questran because I don't like to have to drink powder mixed with liquids. I can't stand the Metamucil powder, and instead get my fiber from the wafers.

Maybe the pill form Colestid would be better for you. I still have some cramping/gassiness related to my IBS, but at least I can get to a bathroom in time.

Good luck to you and keep us posted,
    Katie G

Old 07-19-2003, 03:49 PM   #28
    RubyBliss

RubyBliss HB User
    I talked to my GI doctor about the Colestid. He didn't have any samples of that, but instead gave me WelChol. I have yet to try it. I'm quite hesitant to try anything new during the week in fear of what havoc it may wreak on my body! I'm going to take my first dose tonight. I also asked my doctor about Metamucil and he said not even to go there, that it would do more harm than good. I was a bit surprised. So, let's hope this WelChol works. I have to admit, I don't always stick to a low-fat diet, so I'm sure that doesn't help matters any either. And I haven't been able to determine any type of trigger-food...it seems like it's everything! And working in a high-stress field doesn't help much either!

Again, thank you to all. As silly as this may sound, I'm very grateful to have stumbled across this board.

...RubyBliss

Old 07-21-2003, 06:44 AM   #29
    Katie G
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Smile

Hi Ruby. I've never heard of WelChol, so please let us know how it works for you. This may be another way to treat bile salt diarrhea that I'm sure many readers would be interested in. I'm surprised he didn't recommend fiber, but each to his own. It's worked great for me, along with the Colestid.

Good luck and keep us posted,
    Katie G

Old 07-30-2003, 09:43 PM   #30
    RubyBliss

RubyBliss HB User
    Talking

Hello hello! I've been taking WelChol for about a week and a half now (two pills, twice a day, with meals) and it's AMAZING! At first I felt crampy from it, but I think that was just me getting used to it. And sometimes I feel a bit bloated, but I think that's just from what I eat. Although I do not have a BM everyday (but close to everyday), they are 99.9% solid and not constipating! It's like a miracle!

WelChol is a pill for high cholestrol. (Geez, from taking all these high cholestrol meds, at least I won't have to worry about it as I get older!) Anyway, I don't know how the other meds work, but WelChol is not absorbed into the bloodstream...it sits in the stomach and absorbs the fat and then gets passed. So I'm guessing that because it absorbs the fats, little bile is released, thus not causing diarrhea? All I know is that I don't have that 20 minute window before I have to run to the bathroom!

I'm not necessarily that thrilled about having to take these pills possibly for the rest of my life. But being able to eat again, keep it down, and not have it "running" out of me...I couldn't be happier!!! It's nice to be "normal" again! I highly recommend asking your doc about WelChol...it's so worth it!!!

On a different note...I do have a question. What is bile salt diarrhea? I tried looking it up online but found nothing. And I forgot to ask my GI doc about it.

Again, thanks to all.

RubyBliss

Closed Thread